• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PerchKing - Lake Gogebic Fishing Reports - Michigan UP

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How late do they have safe ice out there? What is the limit for perch and what do you catch them on? We are thinking of planning our next year trip out there if this years doesn't turn out.

Ice is typically safe until early to mid-April. Unless it's changed, the daily limit is 25/person and a possession limit of 50/person. Small horizontal and vertical presentations tipped with a "wiggler" (i.e. mayfly larvae) works wonders. Think light line, spring bobbers and tons of patience.

i just got back, i am hawkeyes son, we had a blast.

fished from noon to dark friday 8 fish for 4 men

fished all day saturday 8 fish

fished till 2 sunday 13 fish

one of my buddys had one for the wall

the other guy i brought with has 2 for the wall, he said thats the happiest he has been with 5 fish in 3 days. i think his smallest was 12"

all i can say is HOOKED i think i will be back up in about a week

i didnt get my 2 pounder but i will this year.

Hey fellas. I'd like to say it was nice to finally meet the people I only knew in "cyberspace". I heard the fishing really picked up on Sunday? Anyway, I got 8 on Friday and 8 on Saturday which is good for this time of the year. I hear someone really got a pig too! That's awesome! Here's a pic of my biggest of the two days I was out there. I found out my digital scale is 1.5 oz. off Gus' so I've got two 2 pounders this year already. The one below is 1lb. 14.5 oz. smile

Perch009.jpg

Very nice fish Vook! I also want to thank you, Perchking, Gus and the rest of the crew that set this up so us Minnesotans got on some of those huge UP perch. I am addicted and will be back again soon I hope, if not, next year forsure!

Small horizontal and vertical presentations tipped with a "wiggler" (i.e. mayfly larvae) works wonders. Think light line, spring bobbers and tons of patience.

I think the key words there are "tons of patience". Sure didn't realize going into this that the name of the game is to sit the entire day watching a spring bobber. No hole hopping, no moving, no jigging (or very limited), and no socializing with your buddies. Its just you, the spring, and the wiggler. wink

I can't wait to go back though and give it a shot again. Just knowing that every fish that swims into your flasher cone has the ability to put a HUGE smile on your face is worth the trip. For that opportunity, I'll sit patiently and watch that spring.

We definitely owe PerchKing and Vook a big Thank You for showing us around the lake and the techniques you use to catch those fish. Its a different game then we are used to here in Minnesota for sure.

Hanson,

It was nice to meet everybody. I wish the action was a little better but that is why they call it fishing and not catching. On most days Gogebic is not a huge #s lake but if you are after quality, it is hard to beat in my eyes.

Just remember everyone the best perch fishing starts soon, within the next month there should be some monsters pulled out...

thanks vook and perchking i am still having dreams about a perch that wont fit up a 8" hole. haha

the weeler worked great. i think next time we will also bring a snowmobile to pull 2 fish houses out. the trailer seemed to bog the weeler down alot. i can see by the amount of snow up there that some sort of track is a must.

"I think the key words there are "tons of patience". Sure didn't realize going into this that the name of the game is to sit the entire day watching a spring bobber. No hole hopping, no moving, no jigging (or very limited), and no socializing with your buddies. Its just you, the spring, and the wiggler."

Yea- It's kind of like sitting in the deer stand waiting on that big buck. Those big perch lull you to sleep and when you are nodding off they steal your wiggler.

It sure is addicting though and the setting is second to none.