• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PerchKing - Lake Gogebic Fishing Reports - Michigan UP

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fellas. I'd like to say it was nice to finally meet the people I only knew in "cyberspace".

Same back at ya vook smile You and perchking are two very nice guys and I am proud to have meet ya!

Keep yank'in the hogs in and good luck at Hog-A-Thon!~ smile

Hey Perchking and Vook. I just got off the phone with a buddy who is a "bubblehead." He's got a cabin near Mercer. He was out riding across GL and talked to a few guys on the lake. He said we HAVE to get up there fishing!! I've never been past the Gile, and was wondering where we should fish on GL. We are trying to plan a trip either early March or late March. (Which would be better?) It sounded like we should try the mud flat in Bergland Bay, that sound like a good place to start? We are hoping to do a 3 day trip and drive back to Mercer every night (only 1hr).

I am pumped after reading all of these threads on GL!! smile I love getting onto a new peice of water!

I look forward to getting a chance to meet fellow FMers!

Licenses are just $7 a day for non-res too???

Thanks for any info

-Brandon Meyer

Quote:
Licenses are just $7 a day for non-res too???

Correction grin, $8.00 the first day and $7.00 a day after.

I think time and patience is key. If you go up their with a dream of leaving with wall mounters after one, or even 10 trips, You will find out quick wink.

Some get lucky and others do not. Some spend a ton of time on the lake and are a sure bet, others get a couple fish or get skunked after being up there for a week on their first trip.

Vook and perchking make it look easy, because for them it seems to be (they know the lake). GL is a very tough lake to fish, but all you need is luck and a good wiggler grin!

Good luck dude smile.

Brandon,

Lake Gogebic is a fairly big lake. The perch bite starts in Jan but progressively gets better as the year goes along. Mud flats are a great place to find some nice perch. You can buy Non-res licenses either online or at gas stations along the way, I would recommend on-line, then you are done.

Good Luck,

PK

Brandon,

First, thats a great name!!! Now, I have to agree w/PK, there are no real "hotspots" on the lake although you may think there are based on a small community of portables you saw... The mudflats are the best place to get you started.

Greg and Brandon, I'll be up fishing with Phil on the 5th of March. I was hoping to come up at the end of the month, but something came up, so the 5th it is. I know you guys have real jobs that may not let you out mid week, but it would be fun to fish with you guys. Let me know if you think you can get out.

Thanks shack! Will you be attending the hog-a-thon?

Vook, I dream and only wish grin Next year though!

You and Greg are the ones to watch wink Well, Gus says this whistle

Good luck Biff. Go up with the idea of sitting still!

Also, good luck Shiner on the 5th! smile

Well, I think there will be 250+ people this year. Long odds to win again for me!! Oh well it'll be a blast whatever happens. Hopefully I can find a secret spot this year!!! smile

Yep, from what I hear lately it's really been bad out there. Numbers are WAY down compared to what they have been (and we know they are never substantial). Who knows though, it's a big lake w/lots of room to roam. Hopefully I can find em this weekend.

Was on Gogebic at 6 am yesterday morning with some guys to chase the teter-pigs out of 8 mile. We ended up with 3 perch between 4 of us, nothing spectacular, but they were decent. After the rain cleared around 10, we headed to a nearby lake and spent the rest of the day catching crappies and enjoying the warm temps. Vook and Greg, hopefully it picks up for you in the next couple weeks. See you for open water.

Hey Guys,

If everything goes as planned, myself and 3 buddies are headed up Tuesday and get up there sometime in the evening. We can fish all Wednesday and Thursday morning but have to be back home Thurday afternoon. My buddy Pat who is organizing the trip said we can take an icecastle and truck out. How bad is the snow?? I didn't think people drove on the lakes up there.... Please let me know if this is a problem because he says it won't be.

Any recommendations on where to park for a couple days would be great!! (deep, shallow, north, south, HELP?)

I look forward to fishing a new lake!

-Brandon Meyer

B-man, I was up there 2 weeks ago and I drove on the lake then. As long as there isnt much snow you should be fine. Just be prepared for some strange looks from others. I dont think its the norm up there.

I was up the same time as 4.W.E. was. I never measured the ice, but they sure do not get to the ice thickness we have here. We had sleds, but the access PK (Greg) went out of with his truck on the west side was a boat ramp packed down by sleds. They do not plow roads or access for vehicles. I am not sure of the access 4.W.E. went out of on the west side though.

If they have not gotten any amount of snow since we where up or in the next couple days, you might be able to do it. What I heard was this is a rare year for snow on the lake. Last year about now, there was about 2' plus feet.

Good luck!

Ya good point Shack, where I accessed the lake was from a private resort, and am sure you would never make it up or even down it with a wheeled house. The ice was about 18" but I never did measure it. I was also cautioned about some mid lake springs, I dont know where they were at, I just drove where I was told to drive. I would use atv or snowmobile if at all possible.

I would be very careful driving on the lake with a wheelhouse. These guys are right, not many people do that in the UP. There are no roads on the lake (it is a designated snowmobile lake) so you could find some deep snow in some spots. I was there on Thursday and I wouldn't have drove out to where we were fishing, just two drifty. Greg and Brandon might chime in and let you know otherwise, but I would tell your buddy you may want to reconsider.

We're supposed to get a storm tomorrow... Who knows what that will do to the lake (for wheelhouse, trucks). Right now I'd say yes you can get out there w/them. I did alright on Friday (9) and Saturday (13). No 2 pounders but check out this 13 incher that was just shy of 2. What a little pig!!

perchafter.jpg