• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PerchKing - Lake Gogebic Fishing Reports - Michigan UP

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

Great question...Think...think...think...

Not sure I can answer that. It seems to me that the perch when they are in an area don't move far. Now if I am not marking anything for a lets say 2hrs, you bet I am going to move to a whole different area. But if you are marking one every now and then I like to stay put, because most likely they are not far away.

So in closing, if I know an area is holding fish, I will not move. If it is a new spot, then I move more often. It also might have to do with the climate, who really wants to move in January when it's -30 and there is 3 feet of standing snow on the ice.

I get this question often, and this is the best I have been able to come up with.

Thank you Perchking. Good answer and it makes sense. When fishing on Winnie I like to be mobile, but with those kind of temps I see I see and I would not want to move either, but this time of year, one would think more holes, the better the chances.

I have never been up there, but do enjoy the stories and pics you all bring back from those trips. Sounds like a lot of fun.

G.C.

Not to butt in but I think forage has a lot to do with why so much patience is required up there. These fish are huge for a reason; they're darn full! Buckshot spoons and minnow heads/tails or eurolarvae with your walleye gear is not the answer. Small jigs, light line, spring bobbers and mayfly larvae rule the roost up there. It is also my experience, which is limited, that less and even NO jigging entices more bites.

Thanks for the answers and I am amazed at the different style or presentations for these perch vs perch on Winnie or wherever. The patience thing would be my downfall for sure, as I am used to running and gunning. Also I believe I read no real structure to speak of. Just a large bowl shaped, which would send me into search mode. One would think they would school up somewhat or is this not the case. The more I talk about it, the more I would want to try it.

G.C.

These fish are huge for a reason; they're darn full!

Every perch we caught threw up about a dozen or so mayfly larvae. I had never seen so many come out of a perch's mouth. We did catch perch but no monsters. The biggest perch we caught was 12" and it was a male!! We had a great time up there and a return trip is not out of the question.

As for jigging, I followed everything Perhking said about jigging which was to leave your rod alone and that worked perfectly. One time on the last day the fish stopped just below my bait and I decided I was going to try and raise my bait and no more than the slightest raise and the fish was gone! Maybe that one was my 2lb piggy!!

Thanks for the tips guy's. We had a blast!!

Thanks for the answers and I am amazed at the different style or presentations for these perch vs perch on Winnie or wherever. The patience thing would be my downfall for sure, as I am used to running and gunning. Also I believe I read no real structure to speak of. Just a large bowl shaped, which would send me into search mode. One would think they would school up somewhat or is this not the case. The more I talk about it, the more I would want to try it.

Gary, you have no idea how many times I've asked myself the same questions.

I've been to Gogebic once now and fished 3 full days or so... 2 full days, 2 half days... doesn't really matter.

I can't handle the stay in one spot and fish approach but the basic presentation does NOT lend itself to a run and gun approach. I can't believe how light these fish bite. Sometimes a bite is nearly imperceptible on a spring bobber. If you are fishing outside and hole hopping around, you will never ever detect the bite. I don't see it happening. Another factor is the wiggler itself, you want to see that thing moving your spring around, hence you know its working for you. Outside with any kind of breeze, you could never tell. So the basic technique does not lend itself to a hole hopping type approach.

The reason I think a hole hopping approach would work because it does on Upper Red Lake for crappies. However, there are a couple big differences. One is we are looking to target the very active crappies. Active, feeding crappies chase, they are up in the water column, and they destroy baits. Two is we use lures that work well for this technique, jigging spoon & minnow head or jig & plastic such as a power minnow. We can run around, don't have to worry about a wiggler on the hook, and just keep dropping into fresh holes with a jig and power minnow. If an active crappie is around, they let you know.

My 3rd reason is because Gus at the Maple Ridge tells you to sit and stay put. I believe he said you have plenty of time to talk during the car ride home, fish while you are up here.

I really think TO hit on it earlier with the idea of bait and food. These fish are well fed, they don't have to work that hard for a meal so they don't. That makes it tough for us. Think Lake Mille Lacs walleye fishing this year during a huge perch hatch.

I was talking to Gus earlier tonight and I guess he has over 400 already pre-registered for the Tourney. It should be a good weekend, good luck everybody. If I have any luck I am supposed to be working a half day on Friday, so hopefully I will be out mid morning Friday to meet up with some of you folks.

Good luck this weekend and be safe. Watch for Springs, and river openings.

And we do have a celebrity on board by the name of VOOK. Being he won the tourney last year he has be nominated to fish with Buck Levasseur and his camera crew. Buck is a Michigan Icon for the Outdoor hunting and fishing channels.

Well that ought to help keep the crowds away from Vook gringrin

We are in Ironwood now and will be on the ice in the morning.

Green Honda Rubicon with a snowmobile trailer in tow, blue X2, and a black portable.

Hope to hook up with you guys.

And we do have a celebrity on board by the name of VOOK. Being he won the tourney last year he has be nominated to fish with Buck Levasseur and his camera crew. Buck is a Michigan Icon for the Outdoor hunting and fishing channels.

Vook, you da man! Congratulations. That's pretty darn cool.

On the ice tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

Thanks.. I'm kinda on the fence about it but thats another story... Anyway, mulitple replies here... Hanson- Yeah, I agree that moving around alot doesn't always pay off but I would never rule it out. The perch aren't in one spot that long at this time of year and I believe that hole hopping may be in fact better... Finding where they are is the issue. Avoiding the large groups (regardless of what gus tells you) is key. You don't have to be miles away. Think of how sensative those perch are to 200 dudes drilling holes simultainously!! Wouldnt that cause them to stray?? Thats just my .02.

Hugo, TO- I will try to find ya out there on Friday and stop by to say hi. If not see you guys on Sat. I'd tell ya where I am going but I honestly don't know!!! Really!!