• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rest

Code-Man

I was wondering what people use for rests. I have a whisker biscuit, don't get me wrong I got a great buck this year but am wondering what other people use. I am just starting out and figured get my form down and confidence with the whisker biscuit then switch up to a drop a way but just wondering what others think. Was looking at the Trophy Taker Xtreme line of drop away rests and just wondering if they were good or not. Heard reports from my buddy of why change if it works for you and it's one more thing to go wrong in the field. Thanks for any inputs

The only issues I've ever heard of with a WB is they tend to be noisier than other rests and they have a tendency to freeze up in cold weather.

If you are considering a drop away, just make sure it is some type of full containment. Most out there are very good.

I use the Trophy Taker. The drop-aways are definitely more accurate, but for treestand whitetail hunting I doubt if it would make much of a difference. The bottom line is use what you're confident with. Try it, you can always go back to the biscuit. I had problems with the first Trophy Taker I used because the cradle was so small, occasionally the arrow would pop off, but they make them with a deeper cradle now, I think the one I use now is the Pronghorn, and they also have or had one called the Shaky Hunter with a very deep cradle.

I have never had a malfunction of any kind, however I did have the rest get frozen to the riser on two occasions, so keep an eye on it if you're hunting in wet freezing conditions.

I use the ripcord. It's a full containment dropaway rest. When I was considering a DA rests I also looked at the Trophy Taker rests. They are pretty nice, but I liked the rip cord better. Price is about the same.

I guess it is true that your cor don teh DA rest could break in the field, but its also possible to damage a WB rest too.

I don't see them as having any more risks or a higher failure rate than anything else. In fact I think they are engineered better than most fixed rests because they have to work perfectly every time.

I've been using a WB for as long as I can remember. I've never had any of the problems with accuracy or noise so I don't see any reason to switch. Its really a great hunting rest that I have a lot of confidence in. If I were to switch over to a drop away I have heard good things about the QAD so I would probably give that a try.

Sticknstring - I believe I'm shooting the shakey. The arrow definitely stays put in the launcher when at full draw. No issues there. I was talking about before full draw or when letting up after full draw. I've had a couple of instances where the arrow has come out of the small plastic arrow holder when not at full draw. I probably should have said it would be nice to have full containment, like the Trophy Taker Extreme, Ripcord or QAD.

I gotcha. I had the same issues with my TT before I switched to a Ripcord. One thing I did that helped was to cut off 2 inch long arrow shaft pieces and glue them on to the shelf about an inch apart. Then take some moleskin and stick on the top of the "hills" and create a shallow valley for the arrow to stay in. It worked relatively well, not full containment but much better than nothing and it looked pretty cool grin

There are a few different companies that make the rubber drop-away shelf holder. They're not all created equal. NAP makes a pretty good one that's quite a bit larger than the others. I use it in conjunction with my ripcord.

In my opinion the whisker biscit is the rest on the market. On just about any hunting show there is they are using one. The reason I stay away from things like the ripcord is because its a mechanical rest. That just means there are a million things that could go wrong with it. Odds are they are going to happen when the big boy walks by. Thats why I stick to Muzzy as well and stay away from the rage broadheads

Wow! A million things can go wrong AND odds are it will happen when a big boy walks by. I'll never use a drop away now.

Are you basing your comments on your years of experience? Have you had problems with drop aways before?

I can fully recommend the QAD, Schaffer, and Ripcord. Sold alot of Schaffers and Ripcords and have had no customers complain about failures. Used the QAD this year and it performed flawlessly.

While I don't use Rage broadheads I have shot them and they performed well for me. I know many, many guys who do use Rage and they swear by them.

Sounds to me like a blanket statement from someone with no experience with any of the above mentioned products.