• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One Lucky Buck

Tippman

Was a beautiful evening in the stand tonight. Near dark had a nice buck make his way out of the swamp quartering towards me. Because it was getting close to last light and the brush/trees in the way I could see he appeared nice but not a shooter. I had him stopped broadside at 35 yrds then 25 yrds both times with trees and branches covering just his head and rack so still not a good look at him. When he broke into a complete opening he turned and walked straight away. It was then I could see he was a little bigger than I thought. Got to watch him make a scrape and urinate on his tarsals then too.

I'm thinking my release finger would have had a difficult time holding back. The prime time is just beginning boys.

Here's a trail cam pic of him from just a day before.

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

My trigger finger would have had no problems. I usually have a nice steady trigger squeeze but I am sure I would have been slamming it on that one. Good luck if you want him, I know I would have no doubts. I like to hold out for "bigger" bucks but in my book 120 is big enough, and that one does qualify.

Tippman, please shoot him, becaue I am betting that he is way better than 120. I'll bet he's pushing 140.

Hmmm, I don't know he's gonna go quite that big. I'm by far no pro but he's right around that P & Y minimum anyways. I won't be hunting this stand for awhile so next time I'll take him if opportunity presents itself again.

Tippman,

I think your worked called and said your do in and can't hunt for the next two weeks...Looks like I'll have to keep your stand nice and warm for you till you get done working!!!

Ha,ha.

I just sent you another email with pictures that you might want to check out.

good luck,

mr

It would have been darn tough for me not to shoot first, score later on a buck like that. But, I've been there on those questionable ones. Hopefully, you made the right choice and his dad or older brother will show up yet.

Let's go through it...

Main beams- 20"x2= 40"

Brow tines- 7"x2= 14"

G1- 10"x2= 20"

G2 11"x2=22"

G3 1"x2= 2 (the one that hurts him)

Mass 20"

Width= 18"

Equals- 136" ???

Just a guess but it's fun looking.

Main beams- 20" x 2 = 40"

Brow tines- 4" x 2 = 8"

G2- 8" x 2" = 16"

G3 9" x 2 = 18"

G4 1 1/2" x 2 = 3

Mass 15" X 2 = 30

Width = 16"

TOTAL: 131" I would also like to see the one you are waiting for as this is a shooter in my "BOOK" any day!

Good luck.

I had to pass on one bigger then this one tonight after already filling my buck tag. I was a 10 pointer probably close to 150. It made me sick when he stood 30yds broadside for about 3 minutes, it was the biggest deer I have ever seen by far.

DonBo's got it just about right on, though still maybe a little on the high side. Depends on whether your definition of a mature buck is 3 1/2, or if it's 4 1/2 and better, and what your threshold is. This one looks like a 3 1/2 based on his body and rack characteristics, and if he makes it will be a good buck next year. You may never see him again but that's the game we play.