• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterskipping modifications?

Steve Foss

Hey gang, I've gotten interested a bit in waterskipping snowmobiles. Not on the watercross circuit, just around here.

What are some typical modifications for sleds to be waterskipped, and why are they done?

Thanks for the help.

I would double check the reg's prior to hitting the water on a snowmobile.

I think in order to hit the open water on a motorized vehicle other than a boat, you need to be in an organized event that has the proper permits issued by the MNDNR.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the same would apply to snowmobiles as it does for ATVs where as you caanot ride within the ordinary high water mark of public waters.

There were some kids who were cited for water skipping down here as soon as the lakes opened up.

The guy to ask in your area would be Marty Stage. I believe he's the CO around the Ely area.

I'll double check the reg's and post back.

This is from page 23 of the snowmobile reg's:

It is unlawful to:

• operate your snowmobile in a careless, reckless, or heedless manner that endangers the operator, or property of another, or causes injury or damage (Intentionally driving over open water, or water skipping, may be considered careless or reckless unless done as an event under special permit.)

I can never figure out the dnrs way of thinking, they are worried that a atv or snowmobile drivin in water will leave gas or oil deposits, do they ever think how much raw gas a poor running or even a good running boat leaves in the water, I think they better outlaw all boats on minnesota waters,

it's not so much how much fuel they're putting into the water (this is a concern also) as it is the contact with the bottom of the lake and lake shores uprooting vegetation and causing ruts/erosion. This has more to do with ATV's.

Snowmobiles were never intended to be used on water. You lose power or momentum, and yes, you can be dumping fuel into the lake.

The worst part here is people who criticize the DNR for this and that. It's the people who dump their sleds in the lakes infront of the lakeshore owners or ATV riders who have a total disregard for the environment. It's the property owners who push their legislators for laws to be passed.

The DNR doesn't make the laws, they enforce them.

I know its a little late for this, but it also is good to seel upthe sled if you are going to do this for a while, silicone up the drain holes in the belly pan and duct tape up the vents on the hood this way yu keep the water out, if your belt gets wet you sink.

I, for one, have never quite understood the waterskipping attraction. I think its more a fear of my hard earned money sinking to the bottom than anything. I'm also losing the "edge" I had when I was younger. No cares. No responsibilities. No consequences. grin.gif

If you want to check out waterskipping Steve, get down to Grantsburg Wisconsin this summer. They have a major event, if not the World Series, of waterskipping.

i want to get out to grantsburg one of these years and watch that. a guy i work with goes every year, his dad and his brother both race for showtime racing out there.

one year me and my grandpa put our sleds through the ice (long long story) and mine got water logged and we brought it into town and had the guy at the yamaha dealer fix it and i told my buddy at work it cost about $1000 and he said that that is outragous because when they sink a sled when they are doing their watercross they can have it back up and running in eight minutes flat.

Either way its bad, water still gets in the motor if its deeper than the intake or exhaust doesnt matter if the motor was killed. Yes they start right away but long term issues are bad rod bearings, electrical problems, and suspension components full of water instead of grease. Watercross sled are different because the mechanics know how to tear a sled down when problems arise.

The main reason you want to shut it down before it injests water, is so that it will not hydraulic the motor and bend a rod or in an extreme case, twist the crank. Getting it up and running quickly also minimizes any internal damage to the motor.

i think there is more important things the dnr should be worrying about then some snowmobiles water skipping across the river for 20 seconds. its entertaining to watch and do.

All depends how far you want to waterskip (gukagee is what we call it here). I have a 550 polaris and i am a 250lb guy, we were out spring bird hunting today (federal subsistence regulations allows it in western alaska) and we had to cross several long stretches of open water, longest one being about 75 yards. I can make it across ok with that distance with me on the machine and a bag of decoys on the back. Anymore than that and It would be pushing it. Get a 700 and a paddle track and no need to do any mods other than sealing up the bottom of your tub if you ahve any cracks or leaks.

Machines up here go down all the time, take the seat apart to dry it out, drain the engine, dry it out, regrease and fire it up, and we consistently put on 3000 miles a year and get 10-12 out of an engine before a rebuild is needed.

You want your clutch set up so it back shifts rapidly so it wont just bog when you hit the throttle. If you do this you can let off the gas and slow down and still be able to pin it and climb out if you start to sink. this is important if you are going to attempt circles or showboating.

i have tried it but only in the ditchs when the snow melts. i got to say its fun. but never tried it on a lake just for the fact is u can be fined for it and the safty. i have but alot of money alot my sled i would not like to see it sink.

if you try it on a lake got to you better have a paddle track.