• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Flathead Cat Pictures

DTro

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still nursing my wounds from last night.....check out the carnage on the left hand.. I think the blood on the fish is from me. I got shredded a couple times last night. The worst was getting out a gut hooked fish. I have tooth rash 5 inches above my wrist on my right arm getting out a hook on a little 30 inch fish. I honestly feel that there is no reason not to retrieve the hook even if they swallow it. I was well inside the stomach of that fish with my hand.

Wow, nice outing!

And to think that Softshell Eddie and myself were fishing darn near within eyesight of those 2 guys and got skunked, not even a single "solid" run.

Nice job guys!

You guys just make me sick sick!

No, you guys give me hope! grin

WWG,

Would just cutting the line be a better thing to do? I have did this on flats in the past and for walleyes on Mille Lacs!

Ya, when you have the Midas touch, you have the Midas touch! wink

Originally Posted By: aanderud
Wow, nice outing!

And to think that Softshell Eddie and myself were fishing darn near within eyesight of those 2 guys and got skunked, not even a single "solid" run.

Nice job guys!

Its called breaking your rig in for the year. Hope you can shake the monkey before tomorrow night. grin

I know guys that will cut the line....and I don't believe that is too bad for the fish.

But if I think I can get the hook, I will try to get the hook.

Leaving the hook in is a better option than trying something that will possibly(or definitely) kill the fish.

Hooks will rust out over time. Think about the number of fish that get hooks left in them(or break lines etc). How times do you catch a fish that still has a hook or lure in it? Never happened to me before, except the one time where my brother caught a pike immediately after it cut his line, and attacked the next lure he threw out there.

Hooks rust out slower in fresh water than salt water, I can't give an estimate for the exact time it could take. I've been told by many people that in salt water, a hook will rust out in a day or two(which is why some shark fishermen don't feel too bad about leaving a circle hook in the corner of a shark's mouth, instead of risking fingers)

the big catfish hooks will kill the fish looooong before they rust out...depending on how it is hooked.

Along with plier, people should pack snips to nip off the barb. That, along with cutting the line, could make removal easier. And if you don't get it out, it has a better chance of working itself out. Gut hooking any fish is going to have a high mortality rate, no matter what you do. They just lose too much blood. Even if you don't see it, there is a good chance they are bleeding internally. But the bigger the fish, the better their chance of surviving.

I'd say where possible get the hook out. The hook is going to make it hard to heal and keep agitating the area, making it more susceptible to infection. A lot of times it's a dang if you do, dang if you don't scenario.