• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You know you're from a small town when...

Farley

A buddy emailed this to me, I had to share it.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road.

On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on

their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted. (See #6.)

4) You used to “drag” Main .

5) You whispered the 'F' word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because

you new which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you

were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides,

where would you get the money?

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes,

you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer

dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references.

Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson 's , and it's four houses

left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never

own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you was considered 'trashy' or 'snooty,' but was actually

just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1955 as the 'rich' people.

18) The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend

2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station or the dairybar.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one

of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull

over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.

27) There was no McDonalds.

28) The closest mall was over an hour away.

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've pee'd in a cornfield.

31) Most people went by a nickname.

32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it is true, and you

forward it to everyone who may have lived in a small town.

I would not have wanted to have been raised any other way!!!!

Both city limit signs were nailed to the same post.

You played both offence and defence on the 9 man football team.

The farm boys played linemen and the town guys played backfield.

You could carry an uncased gun in town and no one cared.

You knew some old guy who drove a car that reverse didn't work.

Racism meant the German kids told Norwegian jokes. There were no German jokes.

No one dared date the preacher's daughter.( there were reasons)

No one carried a door key for their house.

You had never met a girl with a tattoo. And your folks would not have allowed one in the house.

Thats funny, I can say about half of things listed are true in my hometown. So we're half small town, half big town/city.

Now I go to college at NDSU in Fargo and all these North Dakota(or western Minnesota) people can easily say all that stuff is 100% true, even the stuff that icehousebob posted! I was friends with a kid that graduated with a total class of TWO, him and one other guy! Thats crazy, needless to say it was hard to find girls or guys, out there. Another funny story is I took a class this last semester and we had to work in groups well I think I was the only MN kid in the group. Well these other ND people all knew someone from the town they were from, however the towns were all over 100 miles away. It was kinda funny. Its one thing to have a town where "everyone know everyone" but how about a State where "everyone knows everyone" Its not like that in Fargo so much but out state ND is.

Originally Posted By: MNexpoler
Thats funny, I can say about half of things listed are true in my hometown. So we're half small town, half big town/city.

Now I go to college at NDSU in Fargo and all these North Dakota(or western Minnesota) people can easily say all that stuff is 100% true, even the stuff that icehousebob posted! I was friends with a kid that graduated with a total class of TWO, him and one other guy! Thats crazy, needless to say it was hard to find girls or guys, out there. Another funny story is I took a class this last semester and we had to work in groups well I think I was the only MN kid in the group. Well these other ND people all knew someone from the town they were from, however the towns were all over 100 miles away. It was kinda funny. Its one thing to have a town where "everyone know everyone" but how about a State where "everyone knows everyone" Its not like that in Fargo so much but out state ND is.

I bet those kids that knew kids all over the state are like my cousins in South Dakota.

They're farmers and big football / wrestling athletes. They'd know people as far as you could see, and where they're at in SD, and the same area in ND, you can see a whole lot farther than most places.

So true about ND and western MN.

I grew up on da Range so we didnt pee in cornfields but:

-you knew who was at a party cuz of the red mud on their truck

-you've been shot with a taconite pellet

-there are more four wheelers/snowmobiles than cars parked in front of the bar

-you or some one you know has gutted a deer in the city park

-you've ever said, "My brother is upstairs hunting."

-every house in town is red, no matter what color they painted it

-3/4 of the boys in your sophmore class did a demonstration speech in english on how to clean a gun

-when someone says the world drops off at the edge of town they mean it litteraly

-you live on one edge of town and your next door nieghbor lives on the other

-kids slid down the dump in winter

-you can watch over two different towns Fourth of July fireworks diplays at the same time

-you have tried to make it all the way down Chestnut Street

-your wedding dance was in a school gym and the mayor tapped the second keg at 6pm

-you have eaten sarmas, pasties, and pittaha

1200 people here (I moved back to raise my family)

36 in graduating class (actually only 30, we had 6 foreign ex students for some reason)

Yeah, I think I get almost all of that. Except the stoplight, and the golf course, don't have either one of those.

One that's forgotten, you live in a small town and don't use your turn signal cuz everyone knows where you're going

3 bars & 2 liquor stores??....holy cow!..lol We have 1 bar/liquor store/resturant/grocery store/gas station....all in one building...but the gas station part recently closed. Funny to read all of this.

I was originally from the cities, however I married a small town girl and this is what I have witnessed from her experiences.

1. As a high schooler when you read the local paper and know everyone mentioned in the stories. There is a high likelihood that you were probably present at most of the headline articles.

2. All News make the newspaper...(They take what they can get)

3. No matter who you are, chances are you made homecoming court at least once in your life.

4. When one of the town bars closes and is renevated into a new church.

5. When you go to a home football game to socialize, not to watch the game. (I never understood that)

Let's see no farms so count all of those ones out. But every other one fits the bill. 9 hole golf course(best in the state by the way), one stop light, no macdonalds, but we only have one Bar/Liquor store. It's owned by the city. Ohh and the Grocery Store, 2 Banks, Flower Shop, Hardware Store, Hair Salon, Barber, Law Office, Realator Office, Cafe, Dentist, Post Office and 2 insurance companies all have the same Parking lot.

One more for the list also.

When you drive by people and wave to everyone, or u are waved at, it's because you know who they are.