• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome Rod & Lure makers

Rick

Very nice, I just placed my order with a friend for my blanks, eyes and handles today. What a wierd coincidence! I am eager to learn. We have about a dozen of us gettting together opening weekend to build some rods. I can't wait. Fish together, and build some rods together. I think it is going to be a blast.

This forum will be sure to see some interest. I have only made a couple lures but would like to get back into it. It can be a lot of fun, and very rewarding. I also want to learn how to build rods as that just seems like one of my next steps.

Tom

Careful rod-building can be addictive ;\) I started out just gonna build couple steelhead rods....now I am building rods for other people too. Actually built a pink rod for my nephew's wife, it was the most gaudy thing you can imagine but she loves it. But it does allow one to build exactly what they want how they want.

But really it can be a fun and rewarding craft, cool to see we now have forum for it.

Originally Posted By: upnorth
Actually built a pink rod for my nephew's wife, it was the most gaudy thing you can imagine but she loves it.

I'm guessing it was the Mudhole e-glass rod blank? I saw those and the purple ones in their magazine!

Quote:

Quote:

pink rod for my nephew's wife

Really? That'd be cool!

Yep and with cool little fish design in baby blue and pink for the decorative butt wraps. I see that thing now and things OMG that pretty wild blush.gif

It is pretty cool to fish with a rod you built yourself. And the greatest thing is you can build it exactly the way you would like it. You pick the blank with the action you want, you pick the guides you want, the handle style you want, and of course the colors you want. What Rod Building really takes is patience and attention to detail.

Rick thanks a lot for this forum. I have been looking for a class in the Duluth Superior area but all I can find is fly rod making classes.

If anyone knows of a spinning/casting rod making class in my area please e-mail me. I really want to start making some of my own specialized rods.

If you can get away from work for a day, book a shop time down @ Thorne Bros.

It would be worth your time. You wouldn't believe the things you can do to customize. You can make a 7 ft Walleye rod into a 7'10". Take a blank and turn a med rod to a med. heavy.

You may be able to finish in a "full" day.

Thanks Rick - Im looking forward to this.

Building is addictive and where you can take it is neverending. From adding a handle to a busted off tip to make an icerod to decorative butt wraps that take hours and hours...

This thread is a welcomed addition to FM and interesting subject with How too's, quick fixes, and when it's time to cry... I think a broken rod thread in this forum with in parenthesis "Tell us your broken rod story" would be cool kind of a break the ice entry...

I would like to know what tips and tricks hobbyists have on there mind. Dark Cloud's a good friend of mine and he has repaired and made me some of the best built hobby rods I have ever fished with. Glad he will be kicking in his knowledge here, maybe I'll be able to repair the accidents I have with my rods someday instead of moaping till my rod get's repaired so I can get back in the game...