• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome Rod & Lure makers

Rick

Here's a good broken rod story, before it was even used for fishing.

I was building a G Loomis IMX HSR 9000 @ Thorne Bros probably 8 years ago. There was a young kid working there maybe 16 or 17. They called him "rodboy". I had him put the rod on the lathe to form the handle.

He got it all set up, turned it on, and with in 5 seconds, it snapped 10" from the tip.

Needless to say, I started all over (no charge) and he was re-named to rod breaker for awhile grin.gif

Hey All-

Awesome forum for an awesome HSOforum! FM rocks.

I'm a shop teacher in Grand Marais and we're working on our second year making rods. Last year a friend came up and showed us how to make ice fishing rods and this year we are going to make full length rods. I think it's a great project that will help show kids that patience and craftmanship are skills that everyone should learn. Over the last 2 winters every laker I caught on the rod I made has been an absolute treat, now to see if it'll handle a 20 lber.

I'm sure I'll be checking in w/ some of you guys w/ questions as we go and hope to post some of our results.

redhooks

Redhooks,

You might want to check with the Custom Rod Builder's Guild. If I recall, there were a few guys in MN that were helping teach classes for kids of all ages and they had all the equipment donated from or through CRG. I did it here in CNY and then shipped the equip. to a guy in MN for his next class. Originally it was through Big Brothers and Big Sisters but I believe they expanded the program. I haven't been involved for a few years (no interest here). It's worth an email! It didn't cost a dime, EVERYTHING was donated, and not junk either!! All they asked for was some photos during and post build. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info gentleman-I'll look into the rodbuilder's guild. I hope this is an ongoing project I can teach for a while, we are also building wooden rod raks and pouring lead jigs so hopefully the kids will have a rod they built and can catch a fish on a lure they made and hang it all up of a rod rack they made at teh end of the day.Thanks again,

redhooks

Just for the heck of it, try a post of [Please-read-forum-policy] too. Tom and many of the guys there help out schools. You might even find a professional builder near you who can be of help. Rod builders, by and large, are a very good bunch of people and always seem to lend a hand, especially when kids are involved. Wish I was closer and could do more myself. Post some photos of the class and their work if you can. If you decide to look for ideas on how the can "customize" their own rod or a unique related project, give me a shout. I might be able to give you some ideas. I have an entire course laid out a few years back by Cam Clark and I did one on rod repair, maint. and reel repair. Helps fill in the time over a year.