• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone NOT drive on the ice?

blackdog1101

I'm wondering if I'm the only guy who doesn't drive on the ice. Well OK, I do occasionally, but only a handful of times. My main reason is not my own safety, but because I have 3 teenaged daughters, and I've forbidden them to go joy-riding on the ice with their friends. Many of you will recall a couple years ago when 2 high school aged kids were joy-riding on the ice and broke through. The boy drowned, and the girl froze to death. Ever since then I've forbidden my kids to drive on the ice, and I figure if I'm going to be consistent as a parent that I shouldn't drive on the ice either. So if I have an option to park on the ground and pull my stuff out, I do.

Anyone else like me, or am I the only one?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally try not to drive on the ice, Usually I will take the wheeler out. acutally enjoy fishing that way. really easy to hop around. Will admit on some colder days I will drive the truck out their and set up. Some times it is nice to have the truck as a wind block. If my six year old daughter is with me I prefer to take my 4 wheeler, always have the fear of having her in the truck and not being able to get her out.

Ya know if I had a wheeler or sled I probably wouldnt drive my truck on ice much, but i dont...

Im usually one of the last people to start driving out. When I do start driving Im usually pretty comfortable with my ability to judge wether its safe enough or not. I dont think the kids that go out and do the joy riding on the ice have the same knowledge of ice conditions.

I don't drive on the ice until I am familiar with the levels and usually not until there are many many other people driving out there.

I might add, the ice is never safe everyone. Up on Pelican lake last weekend (roughly 34-36 inches of ice) most of the lake is safe to drive on. However, I broke through coming into my bay where the cabin is located. It was only 4 inches of water under 3 inches of ice. I knew where i was and knew i was safe...but did not think i would break through. If i was 5 feet over I would have been in 8 feet of water. That wouldn't have been fun and the wife most likely would never come on the ice again with me.

Just be careful out there and no your surroundings before you head onto a lake.

Another great reason this site is so special. It is likely you can find out ice conditions and spots to stay away from from asking the questions on this site.

Stay safe and no you are not the only one...I have buddies that won't drive out just because they are new to ice fishing and can't trust the ice with their vehicle...

Black dog, sounds like you are referring to the Minnetonka incident. I do remember...very sad.

I'm more cautious than most, so I usually only drive out on the ice a handful of times at the most. I even pulled out the ice pics last Saturday, although I was on moving water.

Yes, it was the Minnetonka incident. I neglected to mention that in my first post. That really struck home with me, so I've made my girls promise not to drive on the ice with their friends, and told them I'll pick them up any time of day or night, no questions asked, if they get into a situation where someone wants to drive on the ice. So yeah, I know that the ice this year is quite safe, but I figure I have to live up to the rules I want them to live up to as well.

I drive, but I stay on the roads. I never go "cross-country" across the ice. I only fish LOW and Rainy though and they have great plowed roads with good directions. Plus I go in areas I've been many times before. I walk out on Mille Lacs and I don't even like to try new lakes down here by myself...even walking. It's tough when you don't know. I wouldn't drive on a new lake without having a guide with me.

I am also one of those that never drives on the ice. I can count on one hand all the times I have ever driven out on the ice and each time I had a "nervous-sick" feeling. Maybe I shouldn't think so negative, but I just "know" that even if 100 people drive over a spot and they all make it fine, I'll have the luck to be #101 and in the lake I go. Just isn't worth the trouble for me. Since I don't have a 4-wheeler or sled, you may see a guy dragging a green Otter Lodge by foot across some of the lakes in Wright County. Yes, it makes for a bit of a work-out but I feel better and I get my exercise in for the day.

I'm working on my wife in regards to a 4-wheeler....and I think I am making progress....When I use to bring it up, it was always "Heck no! It's your own dumb fault for buying a large portable..." (to which even the comeback of "I bought it for both of us to fish out of didn't even work)

She is coming around though....now if I bring it up, she responds "You can get a 4-wheeler when I get a new house since you have enough toys already to store"

Hmmm.....maybe I should have her drag the house out there sometime?!?!?! grin.gif

it depends on where you are. on the big lakes, you might not have much of a choice...especially with snow and cold. i grew up on LOW, drove everywhere...but always on the plowed roads and i usually wait until i see bunches of other vehicles. biggest safety tip on driving on ice is to try not to be the trailblazer. that's what guides and resort owners are for!

This is the first year Ive ever ridden or driven on the ice and learned a few good tips. I dont have a wheeler and my Jeep doesnt a hitch so I cant take the sled out, but I always drive slow, windows down, radio off and unbuckled. That way you can hear the ice, you're not buckled so if something happens you're not tied down, and if your door wont open you can climb out the window and you dont have the pressure keeping the door shut.

Not that it matters much, but the Minnetonka kids drove into open water in the middle of the night, they did not break through. We had a lot of open water that year on Metro area lakes.

I agree that it is smart to tell teenagers not to joy ride on the ice.

I am one of those who never drives on the ice. It is both personal safety and financial. I couldn't replace my equipment if I did get out and I would rather do the extra work to walk out that to not have any equipment to fish with. I also promised my mom and fiance that I wouldn't drive on the ice after last year I drove on the ice and the next day a guy went 15 yards off the trail I drove on and he fell through and died. Very sad, but I also got pretty scared. Haven't been to the lake since

Originally Posted By: Dragonsm
I'm working on my wife in regards to a 4-wheeler....and I think I am making progress....When I use to bring it up, it was always "Heck no! It's your own dumb fault for buying a large portable..." (to which even the comeback of "I bought it for both of us to fish out of didn't even work)

She is coming around though....now if I bring it up, she responds "You can get a 4-wheeler when I get a new house since you have enough toys already to store"

I don't know if you have kids. I have a 2yr old. Told her it was for the safety of taking her out as well. Plus I would rather loose a $1000 wheeler than my truck. That and it's just easier on you to pull them out with a wheeler.

I also drive with my windows down, unbuckled, no radio. Don't really care for it, but can't pull that sled through some of that thick stuff by hand.

As a retired forester once told me before we were going to do some field work.

"Why walk when you can drive"

Some will say the ice is never safe, but when they are plowing highways on the ice with one ton trucks and v-plows, why wouldn't you drive? I drive out every opportunity I can on ice over 14" thick being intimately familiar with the lakes I ice fish.

I really dont worry much about driving on the ice at all, as stated before 99.9% of ice is safe. I usually am on lakes that I know or at least do some research before I go, but I tend to blaze trails to where ever looks good on my H2O.

If you look at the mathematics and physics behind Ice 8 inches of clear ice will hold and 80 ton tank. My ford ranger on 30 inches of ice doesnt concern me all that much.

I cant bring myself to drive out there either for all the reasons stated. We did get a good deal on a wheeler this year cause both hubby and I have mobility problems. I was out on a small Wis. lake fishing with a friend who has a cabin there, when her neighbor across the road decided to drive his bulldozer out to see how we were doing. I could feel the ice shaking as he came out and I head as far away from him as I could get, everyone else was making fun of me. But I would rather be a chicken old lady, than a frozen beluga.

"If you look at the mathematics and physics behind Ice 8 inches of clear ice will hold and 80 ton tank. My ford ranger on 30 inches of ice doesnt concern me all that much."

Now I am no expert at math but this seams a little out there. I am fine with driving on the ice but as others have stated I do not like being the first one out. I also stay away from areas that I don't know.