• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting through the Ice with a depth finder???

LOWinEYEin

The LX-i is a great little unit when out running and gunning.

1,000 watts of power

12 degree cone angle

Automatic shut-off

Audible and visual low battery signal

Audible fish alarm

Carrying strap

Waterproof & it floats! grin.gif

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
www.marcum.com
www.otter.com

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 11-11-2003).]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CNY Tim - Just curious here, why are you so hung up on that adjustable zoom. I never saw you use it once last year. Did you use it??? Im still not trading in my 18. When used to thier max neither unit is gonna catch ya more fish than the other....

I have used Hondex and Vexilar forever! They are great!! But I think I'm going to buy a Marcum (depending on the price) and give it the true test!! Let you know later. I think we are all a little Nuts!! What ever happened to the lead clip on where you could feel the fish as you dropped it down to the bottom?

Walleyedan

------------------
Gull Lake Guide Service
Brainerd Area Lakes Fishing
Fish House Rentals & Guide Service 218-963-0422 218-839-5598
[email protected]

Dark Cloud - No I never used it? Heck I showed you on Caz... I use it all the time.. It was weird at first getting used to the split screen and your right it's not gonna catch me any more fish but if you like a zoom in less than 40' a 10' adjustable zoom window is better than 6' off the bottom. I know you don't care but I like the larger window.

I bought the strikemaster 4-5 yrs ago when they first came out,a great little unit,water proof, it floats a fish alarm, I picked it up for a hundy, I think their up to 150 now. You can cover ice real fast with it, would like to check out the lxi though. Later boar

Just curious, since the Marcum puts out nearly 4 times more power than the Vex, does it use up the battery quicker? What is you average run-time with the Marcum before the battery [PoorWordUsage]s out? My FL-8 runs all day and then some.

------------------
Wables

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I was getting about the same amount of time from both units. Battery life does not appear to be an issue.

The LX-i is made specifically to shoot through the ice to quickly check depths, look for drop offs, humps, etc. If you want a quick and convienent check without worrying about damaging your transducer, that would be worth looking into.

As far as Vex. vs. MarCum - there will always be a big debate between the two. Both Vex. and MarCum will shoot through the ice fine. Any flasher will do this, the LX-i is one of the first that is actually made for this - that is why Rick mentioned it.

Marcum makes a really good product. So does Vex. I'm not trying to speak for Rick, but I don't think he was saying that if you have a Vex you need to immediately dump it and get a Marcum. That being said, Marcum makes a sexy rig. Personally, I don't really think you can go wrong either way. There's been many a discussion on the Marcum vs. the Vex on FM and it sounds a lot like Chevy vs. Ford to me. Both are good products.
If I was going to buy new ice electronics today, I'd look long and hard at the post Rick provided.
Scoot

Shooting through the ice with your flasher is a great trick. Works really well and can save a lot of time when looking for structure and depths. I sometimes brings along a small water bottle filled with water to squirt on the ice and then take a reading.

There are a lot of hand held sonars out there too. MarCum has the LX-i that is shaped like a flashlight and can shoot through the ice giving an accurate and fast reading. Easy to carry and easy to operate. Can carry it in your pocket when you are heading out on the ice and you don't have to take out the flasher and turn knobs and switches, or mess with water on the ice. More time efficient, and when mobility is the key, it helps. You can keep your gloves on and read through the ice using just one hand as you pull the portable behind you with the other.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

Strikemaster makes the Polarvision, shaped like a flashlight, shoots through the ice. Vexilar makes the LPS-1, shaped like a flashlight, shoots through the ice. They have both been around alot longer than the Marcum Lxi. Prices are virtually identical. These units are all good for speed and ease of use, but they only show depth, trying to use them to mark fish or weeds is foolish. Any flasher will do the same, and in some good ice conditions, they will excel in showing weeds, baitfish, fish.
With ALL the above units, you need water between the unit and the ice.

[Note form Rick: Hi richstick - you may want to do a little more research - The Strikemaster Polarvision is now the MarCum LXi. At this time based on your comments I believe you will agree that the MarCum LXi is indeed one sweet unit]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-11-2003).]

I own a vex FL8 currently. I've been very happy with it. My girlfriend keeps takeing it away from me when we go ice fishing. frown.gif I plan on giveing her the vex and purchaseing a MarCum. I think the main differance is power, 1500 vs 400 watts. Target seperation is supposed to be better with the MarCums also. I took a look at them at Gander Mountain, and personaly I like the looks of them better. I know looks have nothing to do with performance, but the other features do. I love my Vex, but since I'm in the market for a new flasher, I'm going to try the MarCum. My thinking is the price is comparable, and if the MarCum is even a slight better than the Vex, I'm better off with the MarCum. Only time will tell. smile.gif Bring on the ice!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Dan Wood, the LX1 is made specificlly for shooting through the ice? Is the LX1 similar to the FL8 and the LX3 similar to the FL18, the differance being the zoom feature between the upgrades? I know the specs. are different between the MarCums and the Vex, but is that the only differance or is there more that I'm missing?

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-11-2003).]

Polar Vision technology was researched and designed by MarCum engineers not Strikemasters. So if you liked the Polar Vision's I'm sure the LXi will be just as effective. I can't speak for the LPS-1.. We have so much snow in NY state that it wouldn't benefit us very much to have a hand-held but I can see it's benefit... I will say this.. The MarCum LX-3 is a better deal than the the FL-18, with the LX-3's added features and advanced versatility the LX-3 remains supreme. I have both an FL-18 and an LX-3 and if I had to choose between the two it would be the MarCum, Check HSOList out... I have seen FL-18's for sale periodically but have never seen a MarCum. Two of my buddies switched and I have read of many more. I trust a unit that was designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S. and that's the MarCum!

No noticeable difference between the FL-18 and the LX-3 with reguards to battery life. The MarCum's DCS, or digital charging system eliminates clips and leads. One plug in the wall and the other into the DCS and walk away it's automatic. The battery charger recharges batteries faster than any battery charger I have used, it's fast and you have a constant digital display that monitors your batteries progress.

What about DODGE??? Well right now I'm getting a head gasket put in my 3.0 caravan at 101,000 mi. First time I ever had a head gasket problem on any vehicle I have owned $600 clams cost for repair. Never had a Dodge truck but my buddy had a older Dodge power wagon and he had that a long time and then he traded it in for the big 2000 Dodge extended cab plow package and it has been a nightmare the last 2 years in and out for repairs he got frustrated and he dumped it and bought the new Ford Diesel he loves that truck.

Not to get back on the subject here but.........

I use a small water bottle to wet the ice before shooting through with my vex also, but I mix in a little table salt with the water to keep my 'ducer from freezing to the ice. Does anyone know if the salt hurts the transducer or the lake water?

Thanks

Brand loyalty only slows down advancements in technology and makes for higher prices. MarCum LX3 vs Vex FL18 is the best thing that could have happened to the Ice Fishermen. Compare specifications and reviews then make your decision. Loyalty no-way. For me its
"Dog Eat Dog"