• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Temps that water freezes?

Dennis Steele

OK I know that water freezes at 32 degrees but...I had a discussion in the boat the other day when my temp gauge read 31.7 degrees.We were not on ice (at that moment smile.gif)so my partner suggested that my equipment was wrong.I told him that moving water will not freeze at 32 degrees becuase the molecules in the water cannot bond when the water is moving and that it will take a temp colder than 32 degrees to to freeze it.
Now you have to understand I am just a high school graduate and I am discussing hydrodynamics with a guy who went to colledge to be and is a "water engineer".
Still, I think I am right! smile.gif
Can any one resolve our disagreement?

Dosent moving water create colories thus warm up the water? smile.gif
Have you ever seen a sick duck in the middle of the lake frozen lake with just a little circle of open water.

I've seen frozen waterfalls.

How come beer freezes after you open it?

Hope this helps. smile.gif

It WAS frozen - but you two were in a kind of Scientifological Antidonutmatter Vortex - created by the RP's ability to COMPRESS & then COMBUST water in it's JET-drive. By already fracturing the laws of physics - you guys were able to transcombobulate right through the inktuplasm of the ice's nano-reality.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Rob

Well, I asked this question in 5th grade physical science once, and just got a blank stare. Basically, the best way to describe it is that water BEGINS or IS ABLE to freeze at 32 degrees fahrenheit, but it is nowhere near instant by any means, even without any movement above or below the surface of the water, or any outside agitation. If you were to chill water to 32 degrees fahrenheit, and let it rest, it may freeze quite quickly, but I doubt it.

Obviously, this person did far more studying upon water mixed with alcohol than just water...

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

Why doesn't beer freeze until you open it?
Same reason water doesn't boil until 212...

The temperature at which water freezes varies with the amount of
pressure upon it and whether or not it contains anything in solution. (i.e. salt, alcohol, etc.)

Chemically pure water under normal atmospheric pressure at sea level freezes
at 32 degrees fahrenheit.

Added pressure in a given atmosphere (such as carbonated water in a can) changes the point at which the water will freeze (lower temperature). Once the atmosphere is broken (the can is opened) the pressure is released and those properties are now changed. (closer to 32 degrees)

Remember a radiator and cooling system on your vehicle...Has a pressure cap and hose system to hold the water and antifreeze under pressure. This increases the boiling point and allows to run at a higher temperature. (nobody ever questions why they dont blow water all over the place when the temp gage reads 220 wink.gif)

Water at the top of a mountain does not boil at 212, but rather a cooler temperature as the atmospheric pressure is less, changing the molecular properties.

The unique properties of water, water vapor,
and ice arise from that bonding and the arrangement of electron pairs
around the oxygen atom.

Those properties are due to the distinctive structure of a molecule of
water, formed of three elemental particles or atoms -- two of hydrogen
and one of oxygen -- expressed by the familiar symbol, H2O.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Heavy water, D2O, is water in which both hydrogen atoms have been replaced with deuterium, the isotope of hydrogen containing one proton and one neutron. It is present naturally in water, but in only small amounts, less than 1 part in 5,000.
Heavy water has a higher boiling point because of the difference in boiling points between deuterium (–249.7 °C) and hydrogen (–252.5 °C).

Whao. That's too much information for me. I just like to walk out on solid water and fish. This stuff gives me a headache. I keep my beer cool enough to be cold, warm enough not to freeze. What else do we need to worry about? Happy fishin'.

Tank

I could never figure out how to apply my military experiences to civilian life. I was a nuclear assembler in the field artillery. I do however have a grand fireworks display on an occassion! grin.gif I often wondered about the "freezeing beer" phoenomenom, thanks for answering that!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

It was so cold up north on Saturday morning, -15F, and I had a glass pot boiling on the stove for some instant coffee, so I fiqured I'd try another experiment. Now I know water boils at +212F and it was really rolling. Well I set it outside and would you believe, it froze hard before it quit boiling. Now what does that mean, Ice coffee???? Well it wasn't that cold, really....Kaz

------------------
KAZ

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 11-11-2003).]

was sitting here reading post and scracthing head wondering why does beer freze after opening when wife come along and sees me contemplateing question. so i says honey why does beer freze after opening. she says BECAUSE IT SHOULD. now we all know

I am a ex-navy nuke. I had all that stuff pounded into my head for years. See, I finally found a good use for my navy training, to post useless stuff on here for you all.
Thanks Uncle Sam!!
Next weeks lesson will be on the different kinds of radiation. The alphas, the betas, and that speedy and dangerous little sucker, gamma radiation.
smile.gif

------------------
[email protected]
My Hunting and Fishing page

if your beer freezes after opening , thats beer abuse and you should be punished. ill post a drop off zone for abused beer if needed.i promise they will get the best treatment posible during the recovery.