• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KOTC 2008!

DTro

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: da_chise31
I may have to try this out this summer. I want to do more of it and I should actually have the time and a boat to boot.

You realize this could be the beginning of the end.....right?

I still gotta lotta leavin' left to do. I'm not married to one fish species yet, wouldn't even count on the cult of the catfish to swing me either.

But that doesn't mean you guys don't have to try! \:\)

dude... one hook in to a cat of any size that decides to use the river against you... once you go Cat you never go back... Hardwater is simply a way to waste time for me until the river warms up again.... ;\)

chise.... come over to the dark side.... \:D

wow, I guess I need to check the catfish section in mid winter. I have to say I like the three fish option to take out one large fish. This is a contest for Catfisherman, and catfishermen catch lots of catfish. Last year was fun. I caught a bunch of fish, but was unable to punch in on a monster. Got a few in my boat including a 39 lber, but it was not mine. It does give a guy more reasons to get on the water, and makes for some friendly banter.

Thanks to Dtro for working on this again.

Originally Posted By: da_chise31
I still gotta lotta leavin' left to do. I'm not married to one fish species yet, wouldn't even count on the cult of the catfish to swing me either.

But that doesn't mean you guys don't have to try! \:\)

Its really hard to be a one dimensional fisherman. I just don't see any fun in that and it makes you only good at one thing.

On the MN River, I primarily target White Bass, Channel & Flathead Cats, and then Walleyes. Fish the Lake Sturgeon on the Rainy & St Croix. Hit the SE MN streams for the sucker run in the spring. Back to walleyes in the fall. And then its game on for all species through the ice.

A guy has to mix up his targeted species, mix up his lakes, fish the rivers, and just gain as much knowledge as possible about fish. This is what makes good fisherman in my opinion.

Lots of great ideas, and I'm sure whatever is decided will be fun. If we used the three largest, it might be interesting to have three mini-contests with the grand finale as the season total. For example, we could go with the largest fish for the following months: April and May; June and July; August and September. Each two months would be like starting the contest over again. This would get us fishing all season and does not favor those short periods when all the big fish seem to be hungry.

I LIKE that idea!

Three biggest fish, but one from each time period.

That will keep it interesting all year long.

Not only that it would eliminate the headaches of managing three fish with upgrades.

Originally Posted By: Blue Kayak
If we used the three largest, it might be interesting to have three mini-contests with the grand finale as the season total. For example, we could go with the largest fish for the following months: April and May; June and July; August and September. Each two months would be like starting the contest over again. This would get us fishing all season and does not favor those short periods when all the big fish seem to be hungry.

I've been saying this for a long time. Not sure if I've discussed it online but I have behind the scenes for sure.

I say we break the KOTC 2008 up into 5 one month periods - May, June, July, August, September. Same rules as last year apply to each period in regards to entering your largest fish, upgrades, etc. Each month will have a Channel Cat 1st, 2nd, & 3rd based on length + girth and a Flathead Cat 1st, 2nd, & 3rd based on length + girth.

There would then be a KOTC 2008 Season Champ. The key here is points are awarded based on your place. The length + girth measurements don't carry into the seasonal race, they just earn you points. 1st place fish would give you 10 pts, 2nd place fish would give you 8 pts, 3rd place fish would give you 6 pts or something like that.

After the 5 months, we add up all the points to determine the champ. This would work either with teams or individuals.

Whats great about this is a 55lb Flathead caught in May is only good for earning 1st place points in May. Then someone else gets a chance to catch a solid fish in June, July, etc and not have to worry that the 55lb is at the top of the charts.

Just think NASCAR, its a points race over the entire season, with each month being mini-KOTC contests.

Originally Posted By: fiskyknut
Oh oh, count me out then. Spring flooding on the Red not condusive to fishing 4 out of 5 years. June is even iffy some years with early summer rains!

Good point.

Ok here's another idea

Two seasons

April/May/June

Halftime GTG grin.gif

July/Aug/Sept

Each person will be able to count their two biggest fish of each season (4) Total

Well Darren it might just be a headache for you to have an oddball like me in it. So you guys have at it and I'll watch and enjoy, it's no biggy and you gots enough to do keeping the slickers down there happy without having to worry bout a trouble maker like me!!!

There has been some discussion about possible ways to include the anglers that do not have an opportunity to fish for flatheads. What if we allowed two channels or a channel and a flathead? Perhaps extra points could be given for a pair of channels, sort of like extra points for the underdog. This could make it interesting for those fishing the Red River.

I think it would be better to just have separate divisions. Flathead division and Channel division. People can do 1 or both.

I guess right now, I'm leaning towards top three fish for a full season.

I like the split season with the points thing, but why don't you split the months, then let guys throw out one month that does not count towards the season totals. That way guys can have a bad month, or not get out one month, and not have a problem.

Splitting the season into mini-seasons seems silly to me. If you think about it, several short seasons with multiple fish per season makes it so that only hard-core fishermen who get our several times per week will stand a chance. Or you're opening it up to the luck factor helping someone win it. A month or so isn't really long enough to have a statistically relevant number of opportunities unless you're dtro, getting out 14 days in a row or whatever. Most guys will get out what, maybe 6 times a month on average. If you enter several fish into the contest out of just a few outings, you're really hoping to LUCK out.

In many respects, shortening the seasons is sorta like the first round of NBA playoffs, no-limit poker, or any other game of skill...if you're playing a superior team, you want SHORTER series, because the better team will always prevail if the series is long enough to reduce the luck factor. In a heads up no limit poker game, the weaker player tries to play fast and hard, knock the better player out soon, lest the skill factor comes into play. This is the same with any game of skill. So, again I say a longer season with several fish should bring out the better fishermen in this contest.

Also, I would recommend no upgrade minimums. This is of course another way to reduce the luck factor. If you're doing 3 fish, what would your upgrade rule be anyway? If you have 3 fish registered, does your next fish have to be X inches bigger than the smallest on your list? Or bigger than the largest on the list, with the smallest falling off? I say it's easier to manage the contest and less reliant on luck if you just let any fish count. The order that you catch your fish in is by no means a measure of skill.

My vote then -- full length season, register your top 3 fish. Channels and flatheads are separate contests. Anyone can enter one, both, or neither category. No upgrade limit.

Originally Posted By: aanderud

My vote then -- full length season, register your top 3 fish. Channels and flatheads are separate contests. Anyone can enter one, both, or neither category. No upgrade limit.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now.

Quote:

That sounds absolutely perfect to me. I'm in - when can we start?