• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KOTC 2008!

DTro

Now that I got your attention with the other post. Here’s some serious stuff \:\)

I’m looking forward to running KOTC (King of the Catfish) contest once again in 2008, it was fun stuff!

Here’s what I need from you right now. Any thoughts our suggestions to make it even better.

Post your ideas here or feel free to email me if you would rather voice your concerns in confidence.

I know there are some good ideas out there, lets hear em.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in with Ice. I had gotten a great channel from the Miss North, that fell short of an upgrade. But, it made me think of holding off on my channel register this year, unless my channel is 15 plus. Fisherman can work around this kind of stuff.

Really, Dtro, I think the same rules should apply. It keeps everyone in check. You ran a great event last year and if I could relive it, I would. No matter what, it should be a great deal..

Even know we came in last, I still loved every minute of it and when I think of it, it get me “vaklemped”.

Hope it is as great in 2008!!!!!!!!!! KOTC

Allow those of us who live way out of the metropolis partake too maybe? I wanted to in the past but was'nt allowed or something!!! Too late maybe? Perhaps I would be a major deficit/handicap for whichever team I would be assigned as I am not in the Mudcat region of the state??

Okay sign me up on the sign-up sheet anyhows!

My new sig...."I was Catfish when Catfish was'nt cool"

fiskyknut

I want to see Norm on a team and the guys from Montana were interested in this as well. Depending on how the teams stack up, maybe we could have 1 slot per team dedicated to channel cats only, that would allow those not in mudcat country to participate as well.

The other thing that would be really fun I think is the special oddball fish of the month. On the river, it could be carp, sheephead, mooneye, sucker, white bass, gar, buffalo, turtle. Each month would be one particular "other" fish, if you catch an "other" fish that month, you'll get 5 bonus points or something like that.

yeah, we need to get the channel guys involved for sure.

Another thing that I was running through the noggin was the teams.

Do we:

Pick amongst ourselves

Random picks (like last year)

Keep same teams

Keep only winning team from last year together as an incentive to "knock off".

I'm open to any and all ideas to make it even better, but can't guarantee anything.

Oh one other thing....

I'm thinking about having a captain for each team that would be designated to make "executive" decisions regarding no shows and conflicts.

The captain idea could be a concern in its self. I like the team working together and coming up with a solution. Also last year, if I remember correct, there were only a couple of decisions that needed to be made and they where towards the end. The teams worked them out and I do not remember anyone getting mad or upset. Giving a captain status to a person could making a Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde scenario. It could blow a team apart. But, I could see where having a captain would save some hassle and finger pointing from Dtro’s end (being the Grand Wazoo for this entire thing). The way it was last year, if something did get out of hand, Dtro would be the “bad guy” grin.gif. If the captian idea was set forth, I would let the teams vote for the capitan.

For the teams, if they stayed the same, I would not mind one bit. If they are going to change, I would say another random drawing should occur.

As for other species, I do not know about that. I know it could turn around a team that has a hard time getting down to the Pools or MN River (my self included), but when you think of it, this is called the “King of the Cats”. I see good in it and I also see more work on Dtro’s part if you start adding in more stuff to keep track of and if more teams will be involved this year, it could add up to many, many spread sheets of info. I guess it would be up to Dtro how far he would let us go on this topic.

I could be out voted on this, but I felt the KOTC was run very well last year and should not change much. Thanks Dtro for all the work.

I think that teams should be randomly drawn for again. And completely start over, I think that there may be some interest from others who were not a part of it last year. I for one didn't get involved until really late in the game. I am sure that there would be another handful of guys that would either want to be added to or taken off the list of guys that participated.

I don't mind the randon picking, but there is always a risk of one team being "loaded".....

Maybe we should do a draft based on last years results to insure that the heavy hitters are dispersed. Captains selected by top 5 or 6 in individual standings from 2007 then fill in teams with an informal draft. We could put together a spreadsheet with all the results from last year to allow the captains the same info to base selections on....

A Fantasy Sumo Draft......I like it.

Whatever we decide, I'm in again.

Another idea is if there are 6 guys per team.....only count the top 4 flats and top 4 channels per team to allow for the occasional sleeper who doesn't get out and fish to not create the team swapping issues that we had in 2007.

Both great ideas, thanks WWG

A random drawing is just that, random. So it could leave teams unevenly matched.

Top 4 is good too. That way if someone is blanked of either species (or both), there are no hard feelings.

Ok.....I go first......I pick Fisky grin.gif

Some how as easy as this sounds, it seems complicated.

My bro in-law has been trying to get into Fantasy Football for some time, but have not pulled the trigger.

Shiznit, as long as I am fishing for cats, its all good. I will learn…

One question, could this leave someone on the wall, like when they picked kids for dodge ball in gym class when we where young? Could it make a guy feel like he a bad person/fisherman? Hate to leave someone for last pick and have them feel poor. I for one could care less being last, but everyone might not feel that way.

Would we be able to watch, be updated on the draft picking? Would it be on F.M., post as you go thing? Or would be via e-mail between draft pickers and Dtro? Do not mind me, pretty board today at work. Just asking questions.

The more and more I think about what Waste said, I am liking it. I thought for a second, this would lead into an individual fisherman contest, but because of the fact you would want to be a better pick next year, it would make you work harder with your team this year.

Similar to a lot of FF drafts, an S rotation could be used.

It would something like this with 6 teams of 5

#1 would get picks 1, 12, 13, 19

#2 would get picks 2, 11, 14, 20

# 3 would get picks 3, 10, 15, 21

#4 would get picks 4, 9, 16, 22,

#5 would get picks 5, 8, 17, 23

#6 would get picks 6, 7, 18, 24

Just something to think about

I'm in again.

the only change in scoring I'd think would be good would be smaller upgrades for channels, 2 or 3 vs 5.

as for the thought of one team being "loaded" personally I think it would be better if Dtro, Hanson, Papa Grump, and LFC were not on the same team.... that would be a juggernaut. However this could be done would be good I think. not only would that level the playing field, but it also would possibly allow some of us lighter weight contenders better opportunity to learn from the experts!

the "other fish" idea? that would be fun.

Quote:
I don't mind the randon picking, but there is always a risk of one team being "loaded".....

"Heavy Hitters" as captains and a draft sounds like a good idea to even it out. Or 6 captains and then random picks. Something to try to prevent a team from being "stacked" and so theres an even playing field should be done I guess.

I vote for a random drawing like last year with no captains "leading" a team , but so this doesn't all go on Dtro's plate , maybe a board of directors to help resolve any disputes or descrepancies. Otherwise you might as well charge a nominal fee for this and call it a League whistle.gifgrin.gif

I'm not to keen either on the "other" species since this is a catfish deal.. One thing that I thought about was a channel cat only division , and a multi cat division so the boys outside on MN can get in on the fun. That's my 3 cents worth of opinion.

As far as a "draft", I mentioned something to WWG on the phone tonight about what if the top team from last year acted as captains to pick their teams. Captain responsibility would only be for drafting the team, after that, everyone is equal again. Meaning each person on the first place team last year picks their own teams this year in a draft order like Dtro described. If we have too many people, we go to the top finishers on the 2nd place team to act as draft captains. Just a thought if a "draft" is going to be seriously persued.

We can drop the "other" fish idea as that doesn't seam to be very popular.