• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KOTC 2008!

DTro

Originally Posted By: Kyle B
Look at Hanson! fished many great spots night after night didn't get big earl!just didn't get lucky enough! It wasn't for lack of skill,time put in,or high hopes!(sorry hanson just a good example!)Most of my fishing is all luck! Next year I may not get a big fish!

You bet man!!! I put my time in on many known "big fish" spots and I just never pulled the lucky number. I know what I'm doing with tackle, bait, location, patience, and fighting fish and 32lbs was as large as I got in the boat last year.

I did have a very, very large fish come unbuttoned when I took my dad out for his 1st flathead trip ever last year. Big fish! This was from one of "THE spots". Unlucky? I tend to think so as I did nothing wrong technique wise.

Another good friend of mine Fisher Dave has gone through periods like this. You fish, fish, fish but big earl never grabs your bait. Dave taught me alot of what I know about flatheads and that is coming from his 20 some years fishing for them.

Sorry Dan Thiem... but Dan's biggest flathead ever came on his very, very first flathead trip to the tune of 57lbs and change. Skill or luck? You have to have the fundamentals down but it is alot of luck after that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's two sides to this. Time spent on the water will not always equal fish. Time spent on the water in the right places using the right presentations will up the odds dramatically.

However, as stated, luck can play a major role.

With that said, at this point I'm leaning towards the following changes:

• A lead person for each team based upon last years standings, followed by a random drawing

• A slight decrease in the channel cat upgrade qualifications
  • If 5 per team then only top 4 fish of each specie with be counted

I think that the changes that you have proposed are quite reasonable, and favorable for an even closer and more fun competition this year. I for one can't wait to get in on it as we (Tyler and I) really didn't get into cattin' till late in the game, we definately missed out on the "hot bite time" of the year in our opinion. With what we learned this past year, and the spots that we figured out on our own, I think that a 40+ lber early in the game isn't out of the question for us. But then comes that thing called luck again, maybe the spots that we found are better later in the season, and won't produce squat for us early. Then it's back to square one, and we feel like the rookies that we are, still learning. Oh well, like I said, can't wait till that water hits the magical temp again and the flats go on the rampage!

Originally Posted By: crazyice
Maybe the spots that we found are better later in the season, and won't produce squat for us early. Then it's back to square one, and we feel like the rookies that we are, still learning.

Really hate to say it but on that big river... more than likely. Flats seam to make transitions from side channel backwater type areas early in the year to main river channel edges, holes, and wingdams when the water starts to drop and the flow slows.

Well iffin you can fit some of us outstaters in that'd be cool. If it makes for difficulties no biggy either. Maybe a 'DCH' on each team? "Designated Channel Hitter"! Someone brought something up along those lines I think.

I'd for sure like to try and get S and catch myself a MN Mudcat one of these summers as well as I've never got 'em in my home state but that'd depend on this and thats.

Darren is a 'puter genious but I don't wanna makes waves or work in any format decisions and 'puter stuff for him either!!

Outside of the sometimes years that allow for me to make it early most of my real Catfishing don't start till mid-late summer so any team I'm on may just worry!

No Softshell turtles or gar here. I fish a Red River trib often early season though so roughfish are plentiful to say the least and they're okay by me. Pull a Kitty now and then too outta there but on this particular trib the BIG ones are few and far between.

If you do a biggest other species may I suggest.....

April......Pike

May........Sturgeonfish, King of Mn Gamefishes!

June.......To be determined

July.......Walleye

Remainder of season to be determined.

Depending on potential bonus points this would be okay by me!!!! LOL!

Is there a thread still up that covered the rules last year and mentioned the upgrades and what nots?

I LOVE what Hanson said about letting the guys who don't have Flathead fishing near them be part. Maybe see the interest and assign 1 per team. I have some very good channel fishing in my neck of the woods and find myself spending more time in the cat forum during the summer than any other. And I don't even fish them usually!!! But I would love to take part.

Quote:
I sure would like to see lasty year's First Place Team stay together. It would be fun to try to "Repeat". Don't you guys want somebody to shoot at?

Whatever works. At this point I just wanna get to catching cats! cool.gif

Here’s a little thing I was thinking about that maybe kind of fun, or maybe just a bad idea. I’ll let you guys think about it:

So we start this year off with last years Top Five finishers of each species (flat and channel) for example

Flat

1.aaa

2.bbb

3.ccc

4.ddd

5.eee

Channel

1.aaa

2.bbb

3.ccc

4.ddd

5.eee

Here’s where everything changes…. Instead of teams, each person is individually trying to crack the top five and knock out the current “King of the Cats”…. think King of the Hill. At the end of the year, the top five are crowned “King of the Cats Champion”.

There are pros and cons to this idea. The biggest con is that it takes the team factor out which makes it fun. However, it might make things just as fun if the guy you are fishing with is a current King and you are trying to knock him off.

And, it might make for a fun GTG where everyone has a common goal.

Thoughts????

I think this is a great idea. It takes away the pressure of team selection and appointing Team Captains and all those issues. With 5 places to shoot for on each species this should provide plenty of opportunity to compete through the whole season. Even if somebody gets a hog early on with 5 spots you should have a chance to place in the top 5. Can you handle a wide open field? This will probably generate a lot more catfishermen which will be fun.

Not that I am was part of the contest, but I thought of similar, but to designate your team captains. the top 6 or however many teams captains would be the 6 that caught the largest COMBINATION point totals for the two catagories. Then the draft would ensue. Proven leaders and ability. Then the fight begins, a simple pick of straws to determine the order and you are off, then to do this as a side thing sounds great.

Oh yeah, and add the rookie team member to each team, like discussed, maybe just a channel cat rookie. give that person time to learn and become part of your wild world.

Hey Darren - I know you end up doing all the work but would it be possible to carry this one step farther. Allow each fisherman to enter his or her top 3 fish for the year. Make the King of the Cats for each species the fisherman with the most points for that species using their best 3 fish. Rather than some lucky person getting one big fish and winning the title - how about each fisherman gets to add his top 3 fish for the year.

I think that is a good idea Steve and funny since I just received the exact same request from someone else offline. grin.gif I really know that it’s impossible to make everyone happy, but would like to make it as fun, yet competitive as I can.

Top three works for me, but I can see where it would hinder the rookie or newcomer. Some guys had a hard time catching one let alone three.

However, having said that, if I was just getting into this, I would really see it as a big accomplishment to break into the top 5, so it would drive me more and would be fun just trying to compete.

It is a summer long event. I didn't get involved until later in the year when a team member decided to drop out. Worst thing was, the night before I got into the competition, I had my best night of flathead fishing, never got another one all year. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: LFC
Hey Pier,

you ready for some more Catfish Poker this season. \:\)

Actually I have been reading Doyle Brunsons Super Systems 2 trying to figure out how to beat you guy's!

Yes, I'm ready I predict a channel cat landed before Feb 1st..its going to be 40 degree's next week ya know! grin.gif