• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KOTC 2008!

DTro

Quote:
I vote for a random drawing like last year with no captains "leading" a team

I like what Hanson brought up, just draft captains to pick teams and after that they're equals.

As for the "other" fish part, maybe that could be done just at a KOTC gathering or two as mentioned months ago by Dtro for some bonus points. It don't matter to me, I'll just be focused on the cats.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

That sounds like a great idea.

As for the other species, I would be in for a “turtle” bonus points.

I would say a width of shell plus length of neck would add to a total of one turtle added bonus. I figure these are things we catch fishing during catfishing and it would add some bonus points in for a team. Now, one turtle per team registered or one turtle per contestant could also be a possibility.

I think if some one gets a good image of a turtle and measures it, they should be recognized for the accomplishment for this. I would do it.

IMO

I also like Flaco's idea.

Dtro brought this up last year and if one shows up to a get together and gets a fish, it could add into total's.

I think someone should review last years post's and see what we said last year.

Originally Posted By: shackbash
As for the other species, I would be in for a “turtle” bonus points.

I would say a width of shell plus length of neck would add to a total of one turtle added bonus. I figure these are things we catch fishing during catfishing and it would add some bonus points in for a team. Now, one turtle per team registered or one turtle per contestant could also be a possibility.

Is that really fair though... "Softshell" Eddie would have this locked up right off the bat, before the season even starts as a matter of fact! grin.gif

I've got a lot of good ideas in my mind that have already been shot down which is fine, this is a "brainstorming" phase and anything goes. Remember... I'm a designer by trade so creative thinking is right up my alley. grin.gif

I do think my idea of having the 1st place team members pick the teams this year through a draft is very interesting. For the record, I was not on the 1st place team so I won't be picking. I still think its a neat idea that will create some interest from year to year if that idea continued.

Like I said, its an idea and any and all feedback is welcome from past & future participants. This is a brainstorming session... let it rip! ;\)

I think we all want to relive last year and it is showing in the responses thus far in January. I think this translates into keeping the things the way they where (at least what I have been thinking).

All I know is, between you and Ed, those turtle images bring back good memories and I have fought turtles in the past my self and if on is to measure one and get an image, it is worth something in book.

This is a decision stage, so any idea’s I sure will be thought out and discredited as the same.

I just like thinking about cat fishing on the river. Soon we will be fishing in 60deg temps and waiting for the reel to click. I like those times.

Keep the ideas coming.

Since the creative juice is flowing... what do we think about a KOTC 2008/FishingMN ballcap, shirt, or something. Wouldn't be hard to come up with some kind of design that meets approval here and offer it at cost to the participants. Thoughts? Getting something produced is pretty easy and cheap when we are talking a significant number of items.

I like the hat idea, it would make a great control item.

BTW.....Shackdude, I'm not measuring any turtle....I don't care if I get 20 bonus pts. grin.gif

Oh and Hanson, I have a feeling the creative juices weren't the only thing that was flowing last night ;\)

I thought you guys did. grin.gif with all the turtle talk last year.

Ya, that would be some bonus points left on the table in most boats.

Good idea on the Hats and shirts. It would make a good control item.

I also like the hat idea!! It would sure be easier to take a picture with than a piece of paper. I for one wouldn't mind spending the money to get mine. Even if it is up to 10 bucks. I have spent alot more on dumber things.

I think the idea of splitting up the first place team is a good one, I just think that after that it should be random drawing. I for one can remember back to school and "picking teams" in phy ed or during gym. I was always afraid that I would be picked last, never happened, but it was usually always the same few people who did. And I am sure that being picked last, wether it is playing dodgeball, or catching cats, wouldn't be good for anyone self esteem. Plus what a confidence buzzkill on catching cats if you thought that apparently no one else thinks that I can catch em?

The good think is that we are all grown up now……right?

The picking could be done in confidence offline and listed in random order upon completion. That way nobody would know what order they were picked in. Only the people doing the picking would have that info.

Not only that, but for myself instead of feeling bad, I would consider it a challenge and not take it personal.

I sure am glad to see such interest already, the good thing is that we have almost 4 months to bang this out.

It would be nice to get people from similar areas of the state on a team so they can fish together, although it is fun to travel and meet new people. I am all over the "other" species thing. I have my top turtle hangouts marked. Whatever happens with it this year I am in, and am sure it wil be a ton of fun again this year.

I have a few thoughts on this if no one minds me chiming in. I've run fishing contests on another board before and found a few issues that may come up.

Random drawings for the bulk of the team normally are better since no one really knows what newbies are like. I've never fished with any of the guys on this board before, and I don't know if any of them know me, so I would probably go just about last. That could be a good or bad thing.

Getting teams based geographically based normally has the following results. Teams living close together often gain more camraderie and fish more often. But teams up north would have a difficulty competing with guys close to the St. Croix, Mississippi, and Minnesota.

If you could base it more on experience, then geographical location would be better since some of the newer members could meet up with the more seasoned cat guys and use it as a learning tool.

I like the idea of the hat as a control. That way it isn't so difficult for the guy fishing alone to get a pic of him and the fish without the sheet of paper hanging from his lips.

Just some thoughts. When do you guys start organizing this in earnest? I would love to be involved in it if possible.

Calculate how many teams there are going to be. Then take the top contenders from last year and split them up equally amongst the teams, so they are not stacked.

Then hold the random drawing.

If you have people picking, Some of us know too many people and their abilities to allow for a fair pick of teams.

There should be a designated spokes person for each team. I know some don't like the captain idea, but the teams need to have someone that is empowered to make changes or work with the committie as leader.

Speaking from experience. This would be my 4 or 5th event like this that I have participated in, If I go in on this one this year.

My 2 cents

thanks

LFC

As far as splitting up the winning team completely that makes no sense to me at all.

I guess I would prefer a draft of some sorts, I don't think it would be to difficult to come up with 6-10 guys that are regular Cat-Fishermen who are out frequently and are good Cat-Fishermen to be captains.

Some other changes I wouldn't mind seeing are counting 3 of the 5 biggest Flats for team play and 4 out of 5 channels.

That way guys that are not in Flathead waters or contestants that are struggling or don't have as much time as they thought they would don't feel like they are a burden to the team especially Newbies which I'm sure we will have this season!

I like the idea of counting like 4 of the top 5 or 6 from each team. I also like the idea of a random drawing other than splitting up the top X contenders from last year.

One thing I though would be nice would be some sort of online spreadsheet so that everyone can see all the results with one mouse click. I think it could be wiki-like so that people could edit their own results (maybe a team captain could edit their own results?). I mean honestly, there's no reason we'd have to all email dtro every time we catch a fish. Could easily have a photo gallery with a section for each team. Everyone upload their photo, put the length and girth in the caption section. Then edit your entry on the spreadsheet (or forward the info to someone that could do it for you if you feel uncomfortable with that).

If people think this type of thing is a good idea I could always get a rough cut of the photo gallery and the wiki-spreadsheet up and people could chime in.

I would go along with whatever Darren would like to do as he is a good, honest person that will be fair with all. I also know just how much effort these type of deals take time wise and would not want it to become a huge undertaking for 1 person trying to get it to complicated.

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
I would go along with whatever Darren would like to do as he is a good, honest person that will be fair with all. I also know just how much effort these type of deals take time wise and would not want it to become a huge undertaking for 1 person trying to get it to complicated.

I will second what Tom said.

I posted that as cool as these new idea's sound, will it make Dtro's commitments have a bigger burden on him or will it easier on him. That is Dtro's decision though.

If things stayed the same as last year, I would not care one bit.

I do not care who I have on my team and I do not care if another team has all the heavy hitters from last year on it. Just being in this gives me a good thing to tell the wife and make it possible to get out 2-4 times a week cat fishing. "Hey hunny, I am in the KOTC, so I need to get out". It worked like a charm last year. I am not involved in any other leagues or events, so she could see my trips out meant something and not just going out fishing. That is priceless in my book grin.gif.

However the teams are divided up... one thing to remember as that this is still fishing. And when it comes to flathead fishing, the flathead is the great equalizer when it comes to experience levels.

There were a number of big fished entered by some relative "rookie" cat guys and there were some of us experienced cat guys that struggled to get a nice fish. You just never know...

I have been predicting that this year (2008) will not be very favorable to me but look out in '09, I'm coming! ;\)

I agree with Hanson, you never know who is going to catch "the big one". I personally netted 3 fish over 20lbs for other people, I never landed anything over 12lbs, and I was fishing the same way as them from the same boat. It is just luck of the draw on who get the bite. Now some may have more experience as to how to identify a catty looking spot, but we seemed to hold out own down here last year, especially in the channels. We have alot to learn, but I think that we have a great start, thanks mostly to you guys on this forum and the willingness to share information. So I really don't think that any team could consider themselves stacked as far as catching ability, but maybe in experience. However it is decided to be handled, I am for sure in, I don't care if it is a draft and I am chosen last, that just gives me incentive to go out and "prove" myself as a worthy choice! Sometimes the best are saved for last, right?

Luck may play a small role. If one can put themselves in quality spots four nights a week, luck is only then a small part of the equation. When to set the hook, seeing when the fish is working the bait and netting the fish are also key parts to the catfish game. Expierence, I truely believe plays a large role. Now, if you have 2 expierenced catters in a boat for 3 nights straight and one catches all the larger fish, then I would say luck played a huge role.

I'm coool with whatever one chooses to do but for some, luck is a very small part I believe.

There have been a lot of great suggestions. I do favor a separate league just for channels so everyone can get in on the fun. If nothing changes from last year, I'm fine with that. Or, if you totally revamp everything, I am sure it will be fun too. I'm just looking forward to this. Thanks for all your work Darren.

I really think that luck has a big role in catfishing! There have been many times that I and others have spent them 4 nights out there fishing "the spots" and have got nothing to show for it. The next week you go out in the middle of the day and happen to catch big earl!To me thats luck, no skill involved there just purly you were lucky to be there at that place and time! Its kind of like the people that go to wal-mart and buy the salt-star combo and go out there sit on the bank and in the first hour they reel in a big fish! Some may claim it to be the white pole or that it only costs $20 and the fish know what you paid, but its luck that they happend to catch it! Look at Hanson! fished many great spots night after night didn't get big earl!just didn't get lucky enough! It wasn't for lack of skill,time put in,or high hopes!(sorry hanson just a good example!)Most of my fishing is all luck! Next year I may not get a big fish!