• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your yardage set up for on a 3 or 5 pin sight?

Swill

Hello All-

I purchased a nice bow set up last year, and picked out a 5 pin sight. As of now I only use 3 of my 5 pins. a 10yard, 20 yard, and 30yard.

What are others rigs set up at? I could go 40 and 50, but I am not too comfortable beyond 30 yet. I was think 40 would be my max....

Thanks

Swill

3 pins: 20, 30, and 40.

honest opinion here...I have never seen a bow be able to shoot with extremely high accuracy with 1 pin out to 40 yards. To be honest, not physically possible either. Even with the new designed bows out there that can shoot well over 300 fps, there will always be some arrow drop.

If you have a good rangefinder, you might be able to get away with that type of set-up, but if you are fairly new to shooting, knowing your yardages, and setting pins to specific distances I feel, is a much safer bet. You owe it to that deer to take them with the best shot possible...

Not trying to step on toes, but even with carbons, a 1-pin range to 40 yards would have at least a 10 inch vertical span on the target, if not more...

you may also want to keep in mind that the average distance a deer is shot at with a bow is roughly 17 yards... If you are spot-on at 20 yards and on a 7" pie plate at 30, you're all set...

Steve

Agreed,

I have a two pin setup, 15 and 30. Anything in between is easy to adjust for. Any more pins and they get so tight together that it makes it more difficult than it needs to be. Also way less chance of me using the wrong pin with only two. Anything past 30-35 yards and I won't take the shot. It's been a while since I sot a deer past 20 yards anyway.

O.K stratosman...If you start following me around the city, I MIGHT just have to meet you somewhere to put a face to the name...heck, for all I know, you might be just down the street, although I have not seen any stratos boats out past the up and coming Colborns...Glad the old walmart is getting put to use...

I'm in south Pines...only green roof you can see from 316..

Steve

Three pins for me set at 20, 30, and 40. I will probably never take a shot past 25 yards, but I like to practice at 30 and 40 yards, it seems like after shooting at 40, when I move back to 30 and 20 yards, I really can drill the targets.

I have a new Hoyt Vectrix new this summer, 30" draw, 70 lb. pins at 20, 30, 40, 50, yet to sight in at 60. the first pin is acutally good to about 25(1-2" low), so my first pins are almost too close together. I am comfortable to 40 as of now. I would like to improve my long range capabilities because it makes them close range shots so much easier.

Can you even practice 40 + yards at an archery range?

My groups at 20 and 30 are good, but I have not tried 40 plus yards.

When I shoot my bow at 20 yards I get most arrows in the red to the next ring out circle. This is about a hockey puck in diameter. At 30 yeads I am on the outer "hockey puck ring so I would guess in the neighborhood of 3-5 inches, but all are grouped nice. With a few luck red hits too!

In the summer i shoot in the back yard at my parents place. there is a nice long stretch out to 55 yards, past that i have to move the target into the field. now that i am at college, i just went tonight to a friends house to shoot in his back yard, i think we can get out to about 30 yards. but i have not been to many ranges, but i don't know of any over 40 yards.

Heh...Shannon Drive...right at the bend by the ball field. Big green Dodge in the driveway.. big deck on the west side and the service road that goes out toward 316... Just down from Chris Tuckner.

Definitely a neighbor!!

You ever bowhunted back behind in the little WMA we have there? I've been hearing some dove hunting going on..never have seen much for deer sign back there so I have never hunted it...

Steve

I've got five pins set at 20,30,40,50,60 yards. At 50 and 60 yards there is little room for error. Your form and follow through must be perfect or you won't be in the kill zone consistently. Also, conditions will dictate wether a shot can taken at those yardages.

I shoot a pendulum sight but when I did use a regular sight I shot 1 pin for hunting in a wooded area. I could shoot out to 30 yards with that 1 pin so that is all that was required. The reason I chose to shoot only 1 pin was I didnt like them all lined up sooo close to each other when I was shooting.

Quote:

I shoot a pendulum sight but when I did use a regular sight I shot 1 pin for hunting in a wooded area. I could shoot out to 30 yards with that 1 pin so that is all that was required. The reason I chose to shoot only 1 pin was I didnt like them all lined up sooo close to each other when I was shooting.