• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Most overrated band.

fishonnopeoff

Quote:

Rolling Stones

Beatles

Greatful Dead

tongue.gif

I have said it before and I (and just about EVERY musician on earth would agree)will say it again, if it weren't for The Beatles, the music YOU love wouldn't exist.

PS- Ozzy Ozbourne would even agree with me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I have said it before and I (and just about EVERY musician on earth would agree)will say it again, if it weren't for The Beatles, the music YOU love wouldn't exist.

I beg to differ; If the Beatles had not formed, someone would have stepped in and took their place. Maybe not as quickly as they did, but I have no doubt that the era was screaming for a change, and they filled the bill. I can appreciate the Beatles, but all in all I guess I don't "Drink the Koolaid" and say the Beatles were the end-all best band ever. You can say the same thing about some of the EARLY rap groups such as Sugar Hill Gang and Grandmaster Flash; bands that arrived as a change was asked for. I like all of these bands, but if they had not formed and "changed" music; someone else would have.

Still sticking with my U2 vote, although alot of copycat 80's hair bands are starting to come to mind.

Quote:

Quote:

I beg to differ; If the Beatles had not formed, someone would have stepped in and took their place. Maybe not as quickly as they did, but I have no doubt that the era was screaming for a change, and they filled the bill. I can appreciate the Beatles, but all in all I guess I don't "Drink the Koolaid" and say the Beatles were the end-all best band ever. You can say the same thing about some of the EARLY rap groups such as Sugar Hill Gang and Grandmaster Flash; bands that arrived as a change was asked for. I like all of these bands, but if they had not formed and "changed" music; someone else would have.

Still sticking with my U2 vote, although alot of copycat 80's hair bands are starting to come to mind.

Millions of other bands HAVE formed and none have even had an ounce of the success The Beatles had, and STILL have 37 years after they broke up. Yesterday is the most covered song in the history of recorded music, and The Beatles have sold more albums than anyone on the face of the earth, it is a fact, you can look it up. To say they are overrated, and to say that someone else would have taken their place is completely incorrect, noone has even come close. I am 32 years old, they broke up 5 years before I was born, and I will fight tooth and nail for them- they are listed as influences by every musical act that has come along since they debuted- thats saying something. 20 billion screaming fans CAN'T be wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

Rolling Stones

Beatles

Greatful Dead

tongue.gif

PS- Ozzy Ozbourne would even agree with me

If you look at my post at the top of the page I admitted I was kidding. I had seen bands that I like and that did change what music people listened to so I figured to through a little fuel on the fire. I totally agree the Beatles and later Led Zepplin are probably the 2 bands most named as being influential.

Quote:

20 billion screaming fans CAN'T be wrong.

I don't know about that; what have the hacks winning American Idol done for music lately? grin.gif

As I stated, I can appreciate the Beatles and what they did, but if you are the most highly-rated band in history isn't that giving you the highest chance of being OVERrated? This is my opinion, which is what this post was started for, even if my opinion doesn't line up with the majority of people on this planet.

Oh yeah, you got me by 2 years, you old fart. wink.gif Still U2.

ooh, ooh, ooh, skynard. how could i forget lynard skynard?

give me ten minutes and i could teach anyone how to play evey skynard song on the guitar.

i'm also gonna take the time to stick up for u2. i don't listen as much as i used to and i could do without all the politcal junk that bono thinks he has to do. but they are a great band and have been for a long time now. i don't want to turn thins thread into people disputing other people's opinions. so i'll not argue my van halen vote. even though it would be so easy grin.gifcool.gif

No I want to hear it.... cool.gif Certainly nobody wants to argue, but difference in opinion is what makes the world go round. Imagine if we all agreed on everything how boring would that be?

VH is in my top 2 favorite bands off all time.. David Lee Roth of course. wink.gif

simply put, van hagar. you can't just switch singers and write crappy songs and still expect to be considered great.

i could listen to runnin' with the devil over and over, but that's about it. DLR was as charasmatic as there ever was, but when you listen to alot of the songs, the lyrics are just dumb. and sammy hagar, yeesh tongue.gif. basicly it all comes down to the writing for me. maybe if they had kept DLR, i could have stood the kiss-like lyrics. phil collins, now he rocked the 80's grin.gif

rolling stones

greatful dead

Van Halen

U2

I hate all these bands..........Van Halen makes me puke when they come on the radio......The rolling stones have never had a number one song on the charts.....The grateful dead has one song that i could even recongize.......and U2 never understood what the draw to them was or is but I am not a fan!!! this is my opinion but if you want I will argue this opinion till I turn blue especialy Van Halen they are and always have been horrible to my ears!!!!!

it depends on what you are hittin' wink.gif

actually they are more like a no hit wonder. they had one song reach number 10 on the charts, and that was in liek 1987 some 20 years after they started. they changed concerts, and promotions for ever. for the better or worse is for you decide.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul cool.gif

You guys are killin me!!!

The women....imagine the women!!!shocked.gif

Someone liked them!

Now the Dead and the stones I will agree with all day, U2 is okay, Joshua Tree is their only album worth a chit.

Different strokes for different folks!

I have seen U2 in concert, it was a very hefty $60, and at the Metrodome, we were so far away the band looked like ants, but still a decent concert. I am not arguing one bit that they aren't overrated, I do see that. BTW, another great band, but absolutely the WORST concert I have ever been to, was the Black Crowes. They didn't play ONE hit song of theirs- NONE. The only concert I have ever been to that I actually didn't want to be there.

Quote:

Quote:

U2

Pink Floyd

Metallica

Metallica? OH NO YOU JUST DIDN'T!! shocked.gif They are my favorite band except for their newest CD-that bass player blows! I dislike Pink Floyd passionately. I hate Tiffany, Madonna, Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, etc....

how would you know the bass player sucks, he hasnt been on a recorded album for metallica yet. Bob Rock did bass for st. anger. no way trujillo is a better pure bassist than newsted but newsted is hands down my all time fav.