• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best rock and roll band of all TIME!!! vote for your fav!

Kodiak

OK Nyte, I'm gonna go home tonight and spin some vinyl on the "record player" I still have in my garage - even older albums than you mentioned (Deep Purple "Machine Head" and Tull "Aqualung" and "War Child") and then I'll throw in some 8-tracks of another good band which has gone unmentioned so far ---- REO Speedwagon.

I guess we have kind of gone offtrack of the title of this thread, but music is music.

Oh yeah, I forgot how easy it is for me to listen to ELO also - "A New World Record with Do Ya" and that double album with "Mr Blue Sky" and stuff like "Confusion" and "Diary of Horace Wimp" and.....Jeff Lynne is phenomenal.

And ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" was great. And to throw in a little Dutch flavor, how's about Golden Earring "Radar Love"? And he ain't no Buffett, but Elton can rock with the best of them or play/sing a good ballad too.

Any disco lovers out there (KC , BeeGees,......)?

And for you classical fans....Puccini , Verdi, and that "..toven" guy.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Rock and Roll? What qualifies a band as a legit answer here?

1-The Beatles: it all starts and ends here. No Helter Skelter, no metal era.

2-"Ladies and gentleman, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young": lightning in a bottle, that has never been repeated.

3-Loggins and Messina: whom Jerry Garcia called the most influential band of the early 70's.

LA

If I was stranded on an island, I would bring all my CDs, a high end CD player, big speakers, and a generator (lifetime supply of gas would be good as well). Given that's probably not an option, I could limit myself to an mp3 player and a lifetime supply of batteries. The music I would absolutely need to survive, in no particular order:

1) AC/DC

2) Iron Maiden

3) Motorhead

4) Metallica

5) Johnny Cash

If given one band to listen to for the rest of my life, I could probably get by with AC/DC. Though, Maiden would be a good substitute.

Quote:

hmmm best of all time... or best in their time . i have been a rocker for many years. and have gone thru many phases of rock and roll. the 70s rock does the best for me nazereth. areosmith (toys in the attic) rush (2112) jethro tull (to old to rock and roll, to young to die. and passion play) deep purple (storm bringer) and many more titles, led zepplin, janis joplin, jimmy hendrix, doors, dead, boston, elo, eric clapton, in his early days, journey, kiss, beatles, i could go on for a while i have a couple of hundred cassettes and a few large stacks of cds and a closet shelf full of ( oh
dump
i am gonna date myself here) ALBUMS yes albums those vinal thingies that we used to put on turntables. heheheheh . ... paul

Just tell people they are steak plates and the little hole in the middle is for the juices to run out of.

Best of all time? That's really tough. So many styles of rock and roll.

Speed-metal tops off the list for me with Metallica and Megadeath.

Then more of a pop-rock band, I thought Boston could harmonize perfectley. I was suprised to see how many Rush fans there are. 2112 was very influencial for me.

But for heavy, dark stuff, I am going with Tool also. Some of their stuff is kinda "out there", but they really can pound out some awesome tunes.

It seems like this question has brought out bands from different generations and age groups. For me I have to agree with Tool and Mettalica. A couple of others I like that are up there on my list are Rage against the Machine and System of a Down. (tells you how old I am)

no0 probs for me either i know that packed somewhere in a box is my original 8tracks of 2112, toys in the attic, passion play, and a few more of these fine relics. and if memorie serves me correctly they are packed away with my mad magizines and soldier of fortune mags. and how could i ever forget about brain salad surgery, moody blues, and elo. i love the entro on elp's album WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS, TO A SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS, WERE SO GLAD YOU COULD ATTEND COME INSIDE COME INSIDE.oh and how bout this one. pink floyd ... the song title "several small furry creatures, gathered together in a cave, and grooving to a pict" or the whole animals album. or the beatles white album "revolution number nine" and yes for the vote on helter skelter, and yes the band. styx, cream, the doors, and ok even tho i am not a big fan of his noone mentioned ELVIS. hummmm maybe for a reason, bruce springstien with clarence on sax. oh dump brain freeze, who did white rabbit? that group evolved thru many phases. and what about 60s rock. wood stock. and bands like hot tuna, robin trower, procol harem, blind faith, the stones, and then there is phil collins with genesis, david bowie, black foot,humble pie,alan parsons project, skynyrd, creedence, dire straights, zebra, edgar winter, zappa and zappa with the mothers of invention, ok i am dating myself again and i will quit for now. but as said i have been around for alot of rock and roll and intend on being around for alot more. ... paul

Quote:

ZZ Top, Nugent, Im with the WCCo guy now though..

I was hoping someone would list my nature buddy "Ted Nugent", undoubtedly one of the best concerts I ever saw! and of course the "Beatles"...hope this doesn't date this old rock and roller too much.. cool.gif

RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES HE PULLS LAUGHTER FROM THE SKIES....

OK, so others that came to my mind during the weekend were Journey, Styx, ZZTop and Genesis and I have to agree to add Moody Blues to the list. Haven't gone to check my collection yet, but I might have to jog my memory that way.

With all this talk about Tool I'm gonna have to get my son to find some for me to listen to.

Didja watch any VH1 this weekend? Saw blurbs of their RockBand 100 list and after seeing Nirvana up in the top 10, I lose faith in the ranking system. I am pretty sure Kiss was at or very near numero uno. I have never listened to full albums of theirs, but I agree they've been around and done lots of popular stuff and many that I can listen to.

Nytelyter- White Rabbit, by Jefferson Airplane who became Jefferson Starship in the 80's.

I listen to a very broad spectrum of music from the 50's to today but Tool stands out as my favorite. I like many others a lot but they just have it. Plus their videos are awesome.

Holy Smokes, didn't realize so many guys here like Tool. smile.gif

I remember when Tool first came out, they were so different, I wasn't sure what to think of them. Their music sort of grew on me and now I absolutely love them.

System of a Down is awesome as well if your into the scream at the top of your lungs, have a hard time understanding them, type a thing. Musically, I think they're really innovative.

Nobody has said Slipknot yet. I would put them above and beyond Rock & Roll, little more hardcore than Rock. However, once you see these guys in concert... Wow! Orange jump suits and clown masks with a couple guys pounding on beer kegs. Sweet!

How could I forget one of my favorites from my college yrs?

Kansas' "Masque" and "Leftoverture" are easy for me to listen to anytime. In fact, they're gonna play right now in my office at work. And in the Easy Listening category, anybody want to add to Air Supply or Little River Band?

Unfortunately, these bands do not have anyone who plays one of the most important of all musical instruments

- the Triangle, second ONLY to the Cowbell.