• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Safety concerns

Stratosman

I'm talking about fall restraints/safety harness use. Just curious as to what percentage of hunters use this device. I hear stories every year of people who have been paralyzed resulting from a fall. Up until lately I have been guilty of not using one, but the last few years have wised me up, now with a wife and new daughter I can't imagine not being around or living in a wheel chair the rest of my life.

They are definately a good idea, but I know alot of people who don't use one. How many out there use one, how many do not?

When I first started out bowhunting about 25 years ago I never used one, but then I wised up and have used a upper body harness type the last 10-12 years. I also have a full body Seat o the pants one that I have started using more and more, depending on which stand I'm going to - if its portable and high, I use the full body harness. One place where I'm negligent is on the climb, I should trim all the branches so I could put it around the tree and then climb, but I normally climb to where the stand is, then strap it around the tree before I climb on the stand.

Last year I fell about 15' while climbing down from a portable stand that I had just set up. I thought that I was careful but that day it was wet and my hand slipped off the peg. I did a belly flop and landed on a log which resulted in a shattered wrist, surgery, a night in the hospital and 4 pins sticking out of my arm attached to a brace for 6 weeks. That was on Labor Day weekend and I wasn't able to draw back my bow again and hunt until early Dec. I have since purchased a climbing stand and it came with a full body harness which I wear religously.

I'm thankful that it wasn't worse. Wear your safety strap and better yet wear a full body harness. You can still get seriously hurt by falling with just a strap around your midsection.

Nels

Nels, glad you're better!!

You bring up a good point, DON'T use one of those loop type safty straps that came with some of the old portable deer stands. Its been proven that if you have a fall with one of them, if you don't get back on your stand or out of the loop in a few minutes, it will kill you. Worn around the waist, you end up hanging upside down, worn high under the armpits, it will constrict you. Use a harness!!!

I always wear one in portables & one small, high permanent stand I have. In my bigger platformed permanents, many with rails on them I don't wear one. All I have are the loop style & I don't ever wear one while climbing. I understand where it's a scary thing. I had a step I was holding onto come off a permanent once, a low one fortunately, & I flopped down backwards. I didn't get hurt at all, but I was lucky, be careful guys.

last year i was thankful i didnt use one. Was set up near a sand pit, all of a sudden i hear a car out by mine, people getting out etc. thought nothing of it, figured it was my buddies leaving a note that said they got one or something. then i hear a commotion aboot 200 yards to my left near the sand pit, followed by some shooting. aboot the 3rd shot i hear something hit the tree next to me almost simultaneously as the gun goes off, I jumped out of the tree (aboot 12' up in the tree)and ran out to my car grabbed some blaze orange and went walking back into the sand pit, turns out some lady and her son had just gotten a new rifle for her and were siting it in by setting up a target on a tree and shooting at it, one of the bullets ended up coming within 10 feet of my stand, needless to say there were very many choice expletives thrown out at the two of them, and then i left still really shaken. it was only after i got to my car that i realized that the entire backside of my pants had split open when i jumped out of the tree. It still scares the he!! out of me to this day thinking aboot how close that bullet came.

I wish there was a better way to be anchored while climbing/descending. Seems to me these are the times accidents are likely to happen - not once you're in the stand. Also, why are the vest style harnesses so expensive?

There is a product called the FallGuy Retractor, and it uses a 20+ retracting web strap to safely cover you from the ground to the stand. I found it for sale in Cabela's catalog and in an ad in Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine. If they'll leave this number call 866 477-6723 for info. It seems to be the answer I've been looking for in safety and at less than 60 bucks a bargain...

I use the Hunter's Safety Systems vest. So far I like it, but I've only used it twice. One thing I did notice, being I'm left handed, shooting to the left is difficult as your left arm hits the strap. Make sure if you have this vest to draw your bow a few times to make sure you can manuver around if a shot presents it's self to the left.

I saw somewhere where a guy ran a climbing rope from a solid anchor above his stand to a solid anchor on the ground. He then had a special loop/knot on the line that he clipped his safety belt/harness too. I believe he had to slide the knot up or down depending on which direction he was heading. Supposedly if you fell, the knot would stop on the main line keeping you from falling. Anyone else ever hear of or use this? I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Brian

The sliding knot you are looking for is called a prussic knot. It uses a short piece of climbing rope tied into a double knot and six loops that go around the static line. You tie your safety harness into a loop by the double knot and then slide the six loops up or down the static line. There is a very good illistrated PDF on Summit treestands HSOforum. This system works well with a stand left in place for the season but if you move stand locations a lot using a climber and keeping your harness on and moving the tree strap up and down as you climb or descend is a safe alternative. An alternative for people using a fixed stand is to use a linemans type belt that allows you to be strapped to the tree while hanging your stand and putting on your tree strap.

O.K. Im sure your all sick of hearing it. WEAR A HARNESS. Seven years ago I fell and broke my back, was left paralyzed for quite awhile. Doc said I wouldnt walk again, well I was just blessed and stubborn enough to prove em wrong. Just not worth it, please wear the harness, use climbers or ladder stands. If you use hang ons, use a linesmans belt. Ive been hunting for 24 yrs, its not a matter of if you fall, its a matter of when. So be prepared, and lower your chance of serious injury or death. And I hope you all get the buck or doe of your dreams.

cooter you bring up a good point. I have a line mine type of belt that I use when hanging stands, and it can be used when climbing or ascending - except if there are branches in the way! They you end up unhooking. I always hook up the safty harness BEFORE I step onto the stand!!

I know that's when most falls occur, when actually getting into or out of the stand itself. But myself have found it very difficult to climb the tree with a harness on and around the tree and even if you did, once you get to the bottom of the stand, you would have to take it off and move it to the top side, there is no way to keep the harness on 100% of the time from the time you leave the ground till you're in your stand is there?

I use my climber 90% of the time and the harness is always on. It's frustrating when you get to the area you want to hunt and forgot the rope that attaches to the tree in the truck and have to hike back but it's my rule. I don't go up a tree without the harness just like I don't use a chainsaw if I've had a beer.

hey guys i wanted to bring this back up due my nieces' husband taking a bad fall from a 35 ft. tree stand!( yes i said 35 ft.!!! crazy.gif) they live in alabama. he thought he had secured his harness properly , BUT !!he is in the hospital with , two broken ribs,broken pelvis,and double break in one leg, and i can't remember what else. he had to make his way back to his truck, and drive to a house so they could call and ambilance! PLEASE BE CAREFULL !!!