• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What brand of dogfood to use?

esox49

Just was wondering what everyone is feeding their dogs. I have a year and a half year old lab and she has been on Iams Eukanuba puppy food. This stuff is 26% protein and she seems to get the runs a lot from it. Was wondering if I should switch to something lighter in protein! Thanks!

I also have a 1.5yr old lab. I give her Pro Plan on the breeders recommendation. The breeded suggested I switch from puppy food to adult around a year. Its expensive stuff but she has never had any problems (runs ect.) from either the puppy or adult or even during the change. She's always had a shiny coat without any skin problems. My 2 cents.

ERW

I have 3.5 year old lab that has been fed Eukenuba her entire life. First large breed puppy formula and now just regular large breed maintenance formula. She loves it and we have not had any problems with her coat or the runs.

Depending on how much she gets hunted in the fall we will switch to the high protien formula when she is working harder.

I used to work for a company that sold bi-products to the pet food industry. Most guys with dogs there feed Nutro and Pro Plan to their dogs. I think any of the premiums are good, you may be right in pairing back the protein though, ask your vet. Don't feed table scraps either. Some of the dog foods out there have some pretty low grade, low quality bi products in them. Rice is a far superior grain to look for in dog food than corn. I feed my three dogs nutro, old dog low calorie to the old ones in the off season, and large breed puppy for my lab pup.

Leech, when you worked for that company did they ever show you what the "bi products" were?

I use NutriSource because it has all the protien, and good meats in it that are recamended but it doesn't use "bi- products".And they are based here in Minnesota up by Detroit Lakes or Little falls area.

It is a reasonably priced food and they have the rice and lamb variety as well as the high protien stuff for the fall season.

I just couldn't see feeding my dog chicken bones,beaks,feet,livers,intrails,and what ever else gets ground up as the bi products they use.

Also watch for added fillers and starches like heavey corn use.

Benny

I used the term "bi-products" too loosely in my above post, I meant they sold the stuff left over after a slaughter house had killed an animal. Many dog foods have chicken meal as a first ingredient or lamb meal.

For example:Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

That's what I meant...you would be amazed at the variety, type, quality (inedible and edible for human consumption) of the products put into feed products for animals. If anyone has been lead to believe the pet food companies are cutting up whole chickens, beef, or lamb for your dog you are wrong. I'm not saying it's bad it's just how dog food is "generally" made. If there are companies out there that are putting sirloin or NY Strip in their dog food I apologize.

I've been feeding my lab nutrisource now for a year, and if for no other reason, I like it because it's a higher protein food and I don't have to pick up as much dog [PoorWordUsage] smile.gif

I believe it's made in Perham, MN.

marine_man

I've tried all the expensive ones through 2 dogs. Through trial and error I have filtered it down to the one that works best for my dog. Nice coat, unlimited energy,

perfect health and digestibility. Cost was not considered.

And it's available everywhere.

Purina Dog Chow.

I feed Eukenuba to my dogs. Large breed puppy for the puppy. For the 2 year old, I feed large breed adult maintaince(small pellets) and I just switched to performance formula last week because of more intense training and the upcoming hunting season. Solid stool and very healthy and shiny coats.

Esox, the reason your dog is getting the runs is because the food is too rich. Some dogs do very well with it, others do not. A rich dog food can be hard on their systems due to all of the protien. I've used Diamond in the past. It's a good dog food at a great price.

After trying just about everything mentioned here, I now use National. Hard to come by, but it is totally worth it. The food started out being used for sled dogs, then hunting guys caught wind of it. Stools as hard as charcoal, and just as black. My 42 lb female is maintained by 3/4 during the off season and 1 1/4 cups during the season.