• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Largemouth Bass '05

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would that make it easier to judge the size. Is he 6ft 6inches tall, or is he 4ft 9 inches tall and the size of a jockey. I will say though Corey that you are pretty good at the whole "In Fisherman" type of photo, but being a photographer I will also say that a good photo is worth it's weight in gold to you as someone who is proud of their fish. Yes holding a fish out in front of you does make it appear abnormally large, but it doesn't change any physical characteristics of the fish itself. That fish has several things about it that make it obvious to guess about what weight it was. First, look at the size of it's mouth, Corey could easily get his fist in that fishes mouth--usually takes around 4.5 lbs to do that at minimum. Also notice the hump on the shoulders of the fish--this is not a characteristic of a fish less than about three and a half lbs. Also notice the belly of the fish and the distance between the two anterior fins. Also notice the gap between the rear of the dorsal fin and the start of the tail fin. Lastly, notice the actual size of the tail fin compared to his hand and his knee which are roughly on the same plane. I would have to put this fish somewhere around 4-14 to 5-2. Corey, I would like to know what it actually weighed--please let us know.

Tom, I'm not trying to start some great debate as it is known by everybody and their grandparents that if you hold a picture way out in front of you with yourself in the background it will do two things... one make the fish look huge and secondly it will make the person holding the fish look smaller... if you doubt this just look at Coreys avatar... I've never seen a crappie that much larger than a humans head. grin.gif Yes, I understand depth of field and all that and thats why I wrote that you can tell/it looks better if you take a picture with the fish closer to your body... just my opinion, I am in no way belittling anybody. I was given a hard time for holding a fish way out front for a picture ONCE and when I looked at it, I knew it was out of proportion thats all...

Quote:

You guys are both wrong, Corey is the size of a jockey and that bass only weighs .9 pounds and is 10 inches long.

J/K Nice fish by the way Corey

LOL.

I wasn't trying to be a smart allec, I just notice most of his pics are like that. They are great pictures, and I know they are big fish. I shouldn't even talk, because I have never posted a pic. I guess I'm just jealous.

That fish was a hair over 19" long and had a bigger than average sized head. If I had to guess I'd say that it was just shy of 4lbs. If I would have caught that same fish a few weeks ago it would have looked much more proportionate. Thanks for the compliments guys. grin.gif

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold