• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok, we need some humor here.What crazy things has your dog eat???

Benny

We had one dog that liked to chew on the phones lines where they entered the house.

We also had a Border Collie that smiled. One day this dog is in the cattle shed and gets a bottle of disinfectant spray. The liquid inside was a royal purple color that stains anything it touches. The normally black and white dog comes up to the house with a purple face and purple front half of his body. We call his name to see if he will smile and sure enough his teeth and tongue are all purple. The cows didn't know what to think of that purple dog for the longest time.

The smiling thing was classic, as soon as you called the dog's name he would show all his teeth but not as a sign of agression. He never bit anyone until he was about 4 when he nipped at my younger sister. Dad gave the dog lead poisoning and he quit smiling then.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a new one today.... I'm standing in our kitchen putting some venison roast in the oven when I hear this sloshing sound come from the bathroom. I walk in expecting to find my 3 yr old son playing in the sink instead I find my 12 yr old GSP "bobbing for apples" after my son forgot to flush. As I yelled at her she raises her nose up and the soggy TP is hanging over her nose as she tries to act innocent.

I have all kinds of crazy stories about my two black labs getting into this or that, but the lastest had to do with my fish fryer. I had just under a gallon of veg oil cooling down in the garage. I kept the boyz inside since I didn't want them to get burned. Well time went by, we put the kids to bed and I totally forgot about the now cool pot of oil. SO, I let the dogs out the front door but of course they found the oil in the garage and licked the pot clean. I called the vet only to find out the oil acts as a massive laxative so we just kept them out side. They looked pretty miserable but no harm done.

My Golden has chewed up everything from shoes, socks, underwear, toys, tampons, diapers, (kleenex and papertowels are her favorite). She also will chew the cover off a baseball and swallow it. She's chewed up numerous other things that I never mentioned to my wife.The worst was when she chewed up my wifes $250 boots and then a week later chewed up her Doc Martin sandles my wife was ready to kill her and me....then a few weeks later she chewed up my Doc Martin boots..then my wife finally laughed.

I have a 6 month old black mouth cur who just had her dew claws removed. She had 2 dews in the rear on each leg. They had to bandage it & put 9 staples in each leg. They took the bandages off on Saturday. She has a lampshade on her head & still managed to chew all of the staples out. Let's just say that she's at the vet right now & I haven't found 1 staple on the floor yet.

Everyone has pretty much covered it all but here is some things that Shadow (my lab)vhas eaten. A canvas tackle box,my dads Rhino GPS,his own [PoorWordUsage] (of course) his own vomit (duh) his bed coushins, my moms wooden bears out side, thank god but My Homework (not just a excuse anymore). one day he got into the fertilizer for the lawn and ate a whole bunch of that. dead eelpouts he found on the lake, alive perch that i cought not long ago. i tossed the perch on the ice and he came running around the car and grabbed the perch, chewed it up and it was gone. let me tell you he had gut rot for a couple of days. but so far his favorite has been the dead eel pouts he finds.

I had a lab mix (mixed with goat) growing up. She ate anything that wasn't bolted down to the floor. She ate things like the ever favorite Kleenex, TP, Shoes, money (both paper and coin), condoms, gum, my Mom's gold watch (yep, she got it for her high school graduation), pop and beer cans (her [PoorWordUsage] would actually come out with strips of the can coiled around it). I can't believe it didn't cut her insides up. The best one was probably a bag of water balloons. I couldn't find my water balloons one day so I blamed my sister but she swore she didn't take them. The next day I was picking up the [PoorWordUsage] and I found them. It appeared that all 12 granade balloons passed through her system. At the cabin, she would go out in the morning and root through the smoldering coals in the campfire pit to get the marshmallows and hot dogs that fell off the night before.

I now have a 3 year old Chocolate Lab who is pretty good but got into a few things as a pup. She decided that she didn't like the doors on my nightstand (which I built out of oak as my High School Wood Tech project)so she rounded off the top of the doors for me. ooo.gif The only problem was that she used her coarse teeth, not her fine cutting teeth so it looks a little rough. I am working with her on choosing the right tool for the job. Haste makes waste!

Keep the stories coming. This is great reading smile.gif!!!

D

I can verify Booshy's post. He is my next door neighbor and his meat heads (boys) are pretty funny and will eat anything. I was doing a rotisserie chicken a couple of weeks ago and forgot to bring in my smoking chips which had been soaking in water. Well, a couple of days later my wife looked outside on our deck and here is this huge Black Lab looking through the sliding glass door holding a giant ice cube of mesquite chips about 8" in diameter by 4" thick. When she told me about it the next morning, I looked at the spot where I left them and all that was left were a couple of little wood chip splinters. I think he even ate the platic bowl and basting brush which was frozen in the mesquite chips.

A few days later, Booshy and I were chatting in my garage and the same goofball started eating my charcoal briquettes(not the match light kind with the fluid on them) out of my grilling supplies. We laughed and Booshy told him to get out.....he returned about 5 minutes later and grabbed another mouthful and swallowed them before we could stop him. Booshy said his breath wasn't bad for the next couple of days. I think we may be onto something here. tongue.gif

I am not complaining at all, pretty much everyone in our neighborhood has a dog so we just laugh at the weird things they will eat. I figure it is cheap entertainment.

Thanks for the good laughs everyone!!!!

Most recently it has been WHOLE RABBITS! Yup head and all in tact. Then I get the funny look from the dog and she runs for the door. They come up intact too.

The past dog really took a fondness for my wife's lipstick and also a 1# jar of vaseline. It was late winter and the deposit left in the yard was a colored snowman that stood straight up!

Only one shoe of each pair that my wife loved.

The couch... Three of them!

The ever popular TV remote.

The window sills and table legs - not my dog but a friends.

On the farm, the dogs have access to lots of things. One winter my lab brought back a dead calf piece by piece from the neighbors. By spring we could reassemble the whole calf. The other neighbors used to just toss their baby diapers over the fence so most of those wound up in our yard. All our dogs have loved eating sheep manure but one of their favorites is eating the marking crayons we use to mark animals we're shipping or those from the marking harnesses we use on the rams. The lawn can be rather colorful from time to time, dotted with all those fluorescent blue, green and pink dog terds. smirk.gif

Tennis balls. Apparently they're not for chasing, not for fetching, they're for eating. A tennis ball won't last 5 minutes in this house. First, pick all the fuzz off and leave that on the floor, then, down goes the rubber part.It's like he's skinning them first. Oh, and the cat's toys. They're for swallowing whole. Unfortunately, the cat doesn't want them back after they've been 'processed'.

a mounted wood duck. My lab, now 9 was about 10 weeks old and I was moving. I had the wood duck in a cardboard box and I ran into a neighbor in the driveway. I loaded the pup and the box in the cab of the truck and a few minutes later I remembered what I had done. There was my hunting pal and a drake wood duck in about 200 pieces. I wanted to yell at him but I realized it was my fault and yelling at a puppy for wanting a duck wasn't a good foot to start out on. I shot that duck when I was a kid, it was a prized possession but my pup has turned into a great retriever, I'd like to think that wood duck helped him understand his purpose.

My lab has had two memorable chewing experiences. Once he ate part of a rug that I had on his kennel floor. Blocked up his intestines good. We were an hour from an expensive surgery when he started bucking and coughing. A few minutes later out came a huge chunk of carpet. Problem solved.

In the next incident he chewed through the wall in his chain link kennel. Yes through the metal links. He didn't eat them he just chewed through them. I can't believe he didn't wreck his teeth. I was on a fishing trip at a friends cabin. My wife called up there and told me what he did. I couldn't believe it. One of the wires poked through his bottom eyelid but it didn't cause any damage to his eye.

Oh yeah! My lovely Lab experiences!!

A friend drove his brand new snowmobile to the shack and I let the ole yeller out for a break before we left for a trail ride. If you can picture a big yellow lab grabbing, chewing, tearing and throwing chunks of seat out of his mouth as fast as he could.....that's what it looked like when I looked out the window to check on him! shocked.gif

The sled had 7 miles on the odometer!! Beware of labs and bright green Arctic Cat seats, I heard labs prefer those. LOL That put me $400 down.

I arrived home from work to find my breezeway a complete disaster. Massive holes in the sheetrock and insulation covering the floor. Lots of work and materials for that job. mad.gif

I think I put most of it behind me....

The most recent one was my dogs went over to my neighbors through the woods and found some old stinky northern pike remains. Came home and up-chucked those on the carpet in their room. Then proceeded to have some pretty serious runs the day later. crazy.gif

Sometimes I wonder if these pea brains are worth it... grin.gif

I've had two dogs that liked the odd objects for a meal. The first one liked most of the standard things, TV remotes, underwear from the laundry hamper, one of my electronic test instruments, chair legs, etc. But his best event was our brand new living room carpet. We were living in our first house house as newlyweds. We scraped and saved for a few years to afford the remodel of the living room, all the while the dog was dining on the above list occasionally, never showing an appetite for flooring. The project finally started, and I worked on it evenings for quite a long time before I completed it. Turned out great, was really proud of myself. We come home from work one day about a month after the project is completed and there is a hole in the middle of the new living room carpet the size of a dinner plate. I thought my sweet, calm wife was going to go after that dog with a butcher knife! Just about pushed her over the edge. Second dog is a 100# lab without an ounce of fat. He's a big brute, nothing bothers him. About the time he's 10 or 11 months old, I decide to take him ice fishing with me, figuring he can run around the lake and get some exercise. After a day of targeting bluegills, I am packing up my equipement on a sleigh to pull it back to my dad's cabin when the dog lopes by. He's got a habit of tasting everything, so what does he do? He wanders over to where I am finishing up, calmly looks over my equipment, sees one teardrop jig hanging from a rod with the larvae still hanging on it, and procedes to lick it. Of course, since it's a nice sharp hook it sticks to the center of his tongue. Before I can react, he flinches a bit, breaks the 1 lb mono, then swallows the jig. I stood there dumbfounded not believing what I just saw, the dog is looking back at me like "What?". Needless to say it was an embarassing call to the vet to explain what happened and set up the exam. The vet is laughing all the while telling me what the surgery is going to cost if the hook snags somewhere in his guts. I make the appointment for Monday midday. On Monday I come home from work, grab the dog and load him in the truck to get to the vet by the appointed time, then decide to check out the "present" he left in his outdoor kennel, all the while thinking to myself that I couldn't get that lucky. Sure enough, I recovered the jig. I avoided a big vet bill, but my wife still hasn't let me live down the day I caught a #100 dogfish.

B@ssmaster

My lab a tube of my wifes rejuvinating eye creme. The reason it's "rejuvinating" is because it's loaded with caffeine. She ate it when I was at work. When I opened the door upon arriving home, I literally was given a four paw drop kick by my dog. I have never seen an animal so fired up, she was panting and running full speed from the living room to the kitchen and all over the place. I didn't realize what she had gotten into at this point, so I was very worried that she was having some type of mental breakdown. Every plant in the living room was demolished and dirt all over the carpet. Every piece of paper in the house was ripped to shreds. I virtually had to tip toe between the plants and dirt and paper and kitchen utensils strewn everywhere to make my way to the sliding door. I let her outside and she was so wired, she wouldn't even retrieve her dummy, I'd throw it, she'd run half way and then turn back and run full speed towards me. Finally after realizing she wasn't going to keel over, I made my way back into the living room to investigate the war zone for some clues. Unidentifiable chunks of plastic didn't seem to the problem, green plant chlorophyll ground into the carpet didn't seem to be the problem. Stuffing from the destroyed pillows didn't seem to be the problem, Then I noticed the tube of eye creme ripped apart next to the couch. This was the only item that I figured could be the reason she went nuts. I called the poison control line for animals and gave them the name of the product and Wall-lla, CAFFEINE...

Anything to do with minnows. If I am ice fishing and leave the minnow bucket lid off the dog will sit next to the bucket, head down staring at the minnows, when a minnow gets to the top - whamo! She ate one off the tip up - hook and all. Also - had a rapala still in the box on the coffee table. When I heard the yelping - I knew what was up. One treble in the mouth - the other treble in her paw. Try calming a lab down with that mess going on. Looked like a murder scene with all the blood scattered. Dog will chomp every fish except rockbass & tullibee. Wont even get close to those.