• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you shooting this year for deer season?

Dan Wood

Quote:

Exudedude, I just started with a bow this year! I figured I already have the distance thing down so I probably should extend my season. I didn't get to seriously hunt with it this fall though. There are just too many seasons!

Plenty of season left bronco, PLENTY~

Mr. Special,

I just use the American Eagle 240 grain hollow point right off the store shelf. It's usually $20 a box and like I said before it's taken deer and bear so it works for me. Both bear were around 200lbs. dressed, no monsters, but they went down with one shot. All of the deer have gone down with one also. I usually sight it in at 25 yards. But like I said before, the longest shot I've taken has been stepped out at 17 "paces." So for where I hunt and how much I practice with it, I am comfortable and confident with that brand and load.

Exudedude,

I know there is a long time 'til the end of the season, but my problem is I love grouse hunting during the last few weeks, I love rabbit hunting, and I love ice fishing (and early ice is GREAT!) What a problem, huh? smile.gif Oh yeah, and I have a girlfriend who already thinks I hunt too much. Can you imagine that---too much?!?!?

I run a Browning A-Bolt White Gold Mediallion .270 win with a stainless Leupold 3-9 VXII. I shoot 130 grain winchester power points through it. This combination has result in 4 deer since I got it 2 years ago including a nice 12 point last fall in MN.

I also have a Remington 7400 30-O6. This gun never shot well for me ever since I bought it which lead me to buy my Browing but two years I got a different scope set up and I finally got it on and it seem like it is shooting pretty nice. So if might just plan to use that when we are driving deer out here in ND. Maybe I will shoot in MN too I haven't decided yet it is nice to have options though.

Dan- I tooo really like Ice fishing... I like to late season hunt too.. I really rely it on weather and other factors like do I have a deer or 2 yet. This year my hunting luck hasn't been the best. maybe that will chage before we get ice. weather, if its really cold I ice fish..A guy can alywas crank the heat in the fish house. But nicer days I like to sit in trees... OR split my day up.. fish the morning hunt the evening!

I will be shooting my Browning A-Bolt 30-.06 with Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip bullets 165 grain. For bow hunting I use a PSE Fireflite 33. It was not the most expensive bow in the world, but I really like it. It is a very flat shooting single cam.

Bushwacker,

how do you like the Winchester BST's? I'm thinking of switching over this year from Federal, assuming they shoot as well or better for me.. I'm a Federal guy, but I've heard only good things about the Silver tips...

For my money, my Savage .243 is the only way to go. It's quick, plenty of killing power (I've bagged 2 deer at 250+ yards with it) and it won't make hamburger on the exit. My old man's .308 makes exits look like spegetti, so I like to think I've learned from his experience. Good Luck All!

I hunted with a Savage .243 until I was old enough to use the pistol. If I ever went back to rifle hunting, that would be the one I would use hands down. I got 4 deer with that rifle. All four, heart/lung shots, and they just crumpled. Nice gun.

Rem. 700 Mtn. rifle in .280Rem. with either 140gr Bal. Tips or 150gr Nosler Partitions - Burris Fullfield II 3-9X.

Bow is Renegade Trophy Rac Plus with Carbon Xpress arrows and Thunderhead 100s.

I will be shooting a 30-06 with 150 gr Winchester ballistic silvertips.

Dan I have used the WST for a few years and I have been very impressed with the knock downs I have had.