• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you shooting this year for deer season?

Dan Wood

What will you all be shooting this year for deer season?

We'll be hunting ND this year, where long shots are the norm. I shoot a Weatherby Mark V Ultra lightweight in 7 mm Rem mag. with 150 grain Federal ballistic tips. I've got it set-up with a 4-12 Leupold scope with custom reticle (zero at 200 yards and cross-hairs every 100 yards down to 600 yards based on ballistics). That is my long-range set-up - @ 300 yards under 6" drop and @ 400 yards I get 17" drop..

Let's hear what you are all shooting.. I bet there are a lot of 30-30 shooters for those that hunt MN north country.. That is my short range brush gun for MN and MI..

I bought that all season buck license this year, and although I already shot a buck, I have a tag available for a rifle zone near Hinckly, so this is the first time I will be using my rifle for deer in about 13 years and I am excited about it. Remington .243 bolt action, shooting 100 grain winchester ammo. Set for dead on at 200 yards. I don't expect a shot any longer than that where we are going.

Mathews bow, Remington 870 12 ga., Remington 7400 30.06, Rossi .50 caliber ML, depends on which weekend...

As far as deer, right now anything anterless is getting shot with the bow this week. Primarily shooting antlerless or pigs opening morning, from there we'll see how the party's doing for numbers.

It sure is Dan, actually the last deer I shot with it was near Moose Lake, it was that year of the Halloween blizzard as a matter of fact, hunted 3 days and didn't see a deer, the last say a doe comes out into the clearing about 450 yards out, so out of sheer boredom I tried to calculate the yardage and the drop and on the 7th shot (yes I reloaded) I hit her and she dropped in her tracks. She didn't move one step the whole time. After that I had to drack her two miles out to the road through 3' of snow. That will be one deer I will never forget. I was much younger then and somewhat dumber, now days I wouldn't shoot that far out of risk of simply wounding a deer. I have hunted 4b slug season ever since, I am itchin to put the crosshairs on a deer again!

I meant to say "gun season" laugh.gif good to see some fellow bowhunters too - I'll be setting down the Mathews for a couple weekends though... Hoyt, what the heck kind of bow is that?? grin.gif Didn't you know they paid Mathews for use of that solo cam technology...

.44 mag Ruger Redhawk. The farthest kill I've had to make was at 17 yards. Where we are, that's about as far as you can see through the woods and still have a clear shot.

Remington 870 with Federal Sabot's, and for my intensive harvest tag for food shelves, Tarus .357 magnum......My brohter in law was killed in a car accident 2 years ago, so last year and this year, we take at least one doe with a handgun and donate it too the local food shelves, the other guy uses a Glock 10mm.....

Dan, that's exactly what I use. I love it. Lots of deer and 2 bear have been downed with mine. Before I was old enough to use it, I had a Savage .243, also a great gun for deer.

Exudedude, I just started with a bow this year! I figured I already have the distance thing down so I probably should extend my season. I didn't get to seriously hunt with it this fall though. There are just too many seasons! grin.gif