• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite deer gun

My all time favorite... S&W 629 Classic Hunter .44mag, 6.5" barrel with a Tasco ProPoint PDP3 red dot site. I hunt mostly heavy cover areas and shots greater than about 75 yards are real hard to come by. 50 yards being about the norm. Within that, it's a done deal.

I like to be on stand about an hour prior to legal shooting time. As others have stated, I too like to let the late arrivals push the deer my way. Gotta love those funnel areas grin.gif

My favorite gun is my Winchester pre-64 model 270 featherweight stainless with a 3 by 9 scope. It's taken down Elk, Caribou, Muledeer, & Whitetails with no problems. But, there's something I'll always love about my old 30-30, after all, I broke my cherry hunting whitetails with it! wink.gif

Mine has to be my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It's the 54 cal. percussion, roundball shooter. Old school, and a little heavy, but accurate. I've kind of given up on centerfires. It's getting too easy for my taste. Muzzleloaders kind of have that bowhunting quality to them. One shot, and you need to be able to get fairly close. Most deer I've killed in the past have been within 50-75 yards anyway. I don't plan on getting rid of any of my rifles though!

Quote:

My favorite gun is my Winchester pre-64 model 270 featherweight stainless with a 3 by 9 scope.

I never knew they made a stainless pre-64, was that as common back then as it is now? I'm assuming wood stock, sounds cool though,

Personally I'm shooting a Remington 710 30-06. Uggliest gun in production but that just means I don't have to worry about scratchin it. Its a pretty accurate gun even though the trigger pull isn't the greatest. Just ditched the Bushnell that came with the combo and put a Nikon 3x9 on it. For the money I think its a good combo.

Started out with a Model 70 carbine in 30-06 and before that I shot a savage lever action 308. I've taken multiple deer with all of them. Liked em all, but as a college student can only afford one at a time.

Ruger Redhawk shortbarrel .44 mag stainless with open sights.

We usually get to the stand just after sunrise.

My best and most favorite deer rifle is my trusty 30.06 Browning A-Bolt. I have many guns I like, but this one is my go to gun and has never skipped a beat.

Also, the past few years I got into smoke poles, I love still hunting with my .50.

Winchester model 70 bolt action with Leupold 2-7 scope. Very accurate. Used to have to throw slugs, but decided to buy a rifle before I got married and had to negotiate for new toys. Sure glad I made the switch. Previous to that it was an 870 with slug barrel. Killed many deer with that set up, but kicked like a horse

Got a new Ruger 7mm Rem Mag last year. Topped it with a Nikkon 3-9, man does it shot nice. Out to 300yds just hold it on your mark and squeze the trigger.

I like to get in my stand at least 45 minutes before first light. Gives me time to get settled in and enjoy the sunrise.

I use a 30-06 Enfield. Its in original condition. My old man bought it when he was a kid. Its got permanant peep sights (can't be adjusted) with a flip up rear tang sight. Shoots incredibly well. As long as I have a rest, I'm confident to take shots out to 300yds. Although the rear tang goes out to around 1500yds. That might be over doing it a bit.

I had a 30-06 auto shot quite a few deer with it. Sold it cause I wasn'tLast year I bought a .270 Tikka, great gun, but this year I bought a Marlin .30-30 I can tell already that will be my favorite from here on out. After seeing my In law take down 5 deer with one shot kills last year it has coinvinced me it is the best deer rifle ever made.

I must have the same setup as Bigbucks. A 7400 30-06 w/ Leupold Vari X-II for Wisconsin and two 870's for slugging. One with a fully rifled barrel and a Nikon Prostaff scope and the other fiber optic rifled sites on a smooth bore. Interesting thing about that gun, my dad bought it USED in 1952!!! shocked.gif

I started when I was 11 with a Win. Mod 94, had a mishap while loading(hammer slipped and fired a round into the dirt). after a thorough @ss chewing, the old man bought me a 30-06 760 BDL. Great rifle, took many deer and a couple of Caribou, But Now I wouldn't even step into the woods without the MOD 700 BDL 7MM-08 I bought 4 years ago It's just such a nice shooting, light recoil accurate round.

I used my grandfathers Marlin 30-30 when I first started hunting and loved the gun, just something about an old quality rifle. I now use an Win Mod. 70 30-06 with a Burris 3x9. This is a nice shooting gun. this year 2 shots = 2 deer (only a doe and fawn though blush.gif)

I try to get in the stand about 30 min. before shooting and hunt private land.