• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting

Rick

Benny
I do know the Ranger you are talking about, his folks and his uncle are old friends of the family. I was the same as you, after school I would head out hunting and fishing.

I am heading for deer camp today, my cousin is coming up to bow hunt for the rest of the week. Man I love this time of year.

Addicted
I have not heard of anyone shooting a real big buck in that area so it may still be there. I know the snake trail and taconite very well. I am one of the groomer operators that tries to keep the taconite trail and timcorey nice and smooth for the beelers.

Good luck to all and remember to take a kid hunting!!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAUSAGE QUESTIONS?

Greetings - I was having my sausage made by Brotherson's meats in south Minneapolis but they closed. Next I went with Krazmaczek's on east hennepin - They closed!!

A week from Monday 11/18, I'll have trimmings from six deer to process and I need your help and recommendations.

Where have you had good luck with your sausage? I'm looking for someone in the metro that comes highly recommended. But for the right quality and flavor, "Have Trimmings will Travel". I'm primarily interested in venison sticks but will also have some Thuringer and links made if my batch is large enough.

I can't wait for saturday morning! BOOM!!!!

Grabs :
From Little Canada. Snidarich doesn't sound familliar, however I'm sure we've crossed paths. I used to hunt with Koenesky/Rupar bunch.Hunted there from 89 until 99 then I moved down to the Sandstone area.I hunt Sandstone the 1st & 2nd Weekends, but do get back up to Side Lake there for 3rd. Ol Moss Back? That might be him. I saw him closer to Linnea's corner. I stopped in with my buddy to Riverside agfter I saw it and Silas overheard us talking and said we just saw the Ledgend.
Graybeard:
Thanks for the smooth trails! I appreciate it! Good Luck this weekend!

Pengilly? Do You know D Nelson?

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

Finlander,
There should be two screw on caps on your scope. One is for the elevation and the other is for the windage. The elavation is on the side of my scope. To adjust, take off the cap and look at the arrows on the scope. To make my scope aim higher I have to click the adjustment down. It is usually 1/4" per click. For 4" you would have to turn it down 16 clicks. You can here it click so it is easy to count. Make sure you shoot a couple more times before heading out to the stand to make sure that you are on the mark. It is relatively easy to adjust. Good luck and have fun!!

Bushwacker

Finlander,

On most scopes, the elevation is on the top of the scope. Be sure to check, it should have an U for up or a R for right. Bushwacker is correct about how most scopes are 1/4" per click, but remember, that is for 100 yards. You will want to double the clicks for 50 yards = 32 clicks = 4" at 50 yards. Depending on where you hunt, you may want to set your sights for an inch or so high at 50. Finally, with a smooth bore accuracy beyond 100 yards is really iffy, so take that into consideration when in the field. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Well I may be jinxing myself by asking this question, but here goes.....

Does anyone have a link for a good HSOforum with instructions on how to prepare a whitetail cape and head for mounting?

Guess I just wanna be prepared if it ever does happen.

Thanks

how are you guys doing? I sold my .270 this summer thinking I was going to buy a brand new one. I was wrong and now I am stuck deer hunting with my mossberg twenty gauge grouse gun. I would like to know what slugs i need to use. I tried the rifled slugs but out of ten shots at 100 yards i hit the five gallon lid twice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well, tomorrow is the big day! Less than 12 hours from now I will hopefully be field dressing my buck! As always, I will hit the hay by about 10:00 and toss and turn while carefully pltting my morning strategy. Just about the time I fall asleep, my alarm will go off and it will be time to head off to the "kiling fields". It kind of feels like Christmas Eve as a child to me. I can remember not being able to fall asleep anticipating Santa coming that night. I would imagine I am not the only one with this problem??

Good luck everyone and hunt safe!!! Those anti-gunners don't need any more hunting injury statistics to help support the reasons for their cause.

Maybe this has been brought up and if it has been please except my apologies.
I have been thinking about this regulation for some time.
If I am going to purchase a fiream deer license for my daughter who is under the age of sixteen, and she sees deer and continues to miss, then this $28.00 permit goes empty.
These permits are supposedly worked into the quota for the respective area and if we have an abundance of youth hunters in the area, the tags may not get filled we are not doing our part as managers of our own deer populations that the D.N.R. has set for our area.
I may be way off base here, but how do the rest of you feel?

Rippin lips,

If you buy the liscense for your daughter sit in the stand with her for a year of two. This way you can help her settle down for the shot.

By the way. Lots of adult hunters miss too and don't fill their permits. Just the way it goes. I don't think the DNR figures the youth permits into the equation as they really would only have a wild guess to the actual numbers. They don't factor a 100% harvest rate on permits either.

Our crew got a couple deer this weekend and we would like to have the skins sent somewhere to have them tanned and have some gloves/hats or slippers made. Can anyone recommend a place to have this done? Thanks.

Tjwierz2,
Take the hides and donate to Hides for Habitat and then there is a store in Owatonna that sells all sorts of deer skin stuff. Gloves, Hats, slippers, etc. It is really good quality. Can't think of the store right now, but I could find out for you. This way you can put a little back into habitat and still have the deer slippers.
Flash

Uber Glove company in Owwatonna. Took some hides there 7 years ago and had gloves and jackets made. gloves were great, Jackets were well made but didn't fit just right. I think they buy hides from the habitat donations and and then sell the products made.

Probably only save you 10% by the time you have your hides tanned and take them down etc. Best Idea is to drive down and buy what you want from them, scoot over to Cabela's for the afternoon, and save all the hassel and 6 months' wait for your own. (I know, having thejm made from THE deer you harvested would be great) Plus, one good and large hide might make 2 pair of gloves, took 3-1/2 hides to make 2 jackets. I know it cost me more to have mine tanned and then them made than buying one straigh out. But that was 7 yrs ago.

Good Luck!

Gadget

Well, just got back from the Range.We only saw 4 deer and shot one small spike, my brother shot it late on Sunday night.We searched for blood and hair but found none, so we gave up search till morning.After the first few hours of day light we started a sweep through the woods where the buck was last seen running to, we found it about 200 yards in.But what we found was a head, legs,and some undistiguishable body parts.Aparently the Coyote's the naighbor has been feeding for the last few years and didn't tell any one are now in a pac of 12 to 15 animails.
Any one up for some varmit hunting this year?I can give directions or guide to a spot you should see this pack of Coyote's.
Benny

B Sander confused.gif
I haven’t hunted in years but isn’t there a certain caliber of weapon you can carry while deer season is open? To small of a caliber like some varmint rifles are too small to carry while season is open? Check the laws to see if I’m right or wrong. Just a note to maybe keep some one out of trouble if I’m right. Have a safe hunting trip and get the infamous thirty pointer! wink.gif
“FISH” grin.gif
www.icesaws.com

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

I have not heard of any really interesting stories from the weekend but I do know the Thirty Point was seen and missed twice by hunters in my party. I am thinking there was a little Buck Fever going on. I am just glad I was not one of them.

The deer are in heavy rut so good luck and be safe the rest of the season.

[This message has been edited by Mr. B (edited 11-12-2002).]