• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting

Rick

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorelunch, take a doe, they're good eating and you need the practice shooting and tracking deer. Lots of things can happen, squeaky bow, squeaky stand, hit a branch, deer sees you, poor shot placement, etc. Get the errors out of the way now before you get a chance at Mr. Big. And as others have said, get a management or intensive harvest permit to use on that doe so you can be out after a buck at the end of Oct/early Nov when the fun starts and the bucks are moving.

Went out for the first time last night, didn't see any deer, mosquitoes were bad, but it was still good to get out. Going back out tonight, different wind and different stand, looking forward to it!

So has anyone been out and hunting this week? I finally got out and got one of my stands up last night. I sat for an hour or so and saw a couple of deer. Just out of my range though. I plan to get out there tonight again.

How many of you start the year with the idea of harvesting a doe? I really do. I get the jitters out of the way and it takes a lot of pressure off of you by doing this. Plus it's just the best darn table fare!!! Got luck to all and keep posting. It's good inspiration to all to keep hunting!

Shorelunch,
The mgmt. tags and int. harvest are good only for does, you cannot tag a buck with them. You can buy the tags for 1/2 the cost of the regular archery license. You just have to make sure you are in an area for archery that these tags are allowed.
Hammer 'em,
I know I went out this year intending on taking a doe. The venison I ate the last 2 nights was mighty tasty. It is good to get the kinks out. It was good practice at tracking the blood trail. I saw the deer drop so I knew right where she was but being I hadn't tracked a bow shot deer before (only rifle) I played the game as if I didn't know where the deer lay. The trail certainly starts out different. It will be a good lesson for the time when you're not sure where the deer is.

I haven't been out since Monday and it will probably be a while now. I don't really have any spots close to the Twin Cities for an int. harvest tag. I need to keep my reg. archery tag open so my rifle tag is good. The one good thing is that the area I rifle hunt is in NW MN by LOW and in that area you can use both your archery and rifle tags as long as both deer are taken in the 5 county area up there.
Good luck out there.
Fivebucks.

Anyone out?

I saw a nice 4-6 point buck that walked within 10 yards of me late last week. Nice deer, but not what I'm looking for. I did not get out this weekend but tonight looks and feels like a good night. Cool, crisp, a good northwest wind and overcast are a great recipe for a nice deer! Good luck and get out there tonight if you can.

Hey all,

Have some info that may comfort a few if anyone was greatly concerned. The 1st group deer harvested and tested (completed test)for the Chronic Waste Disease have been all negative. I will have to check back with my fiance but I believe that other Elk that were tested came out clean too ... I'll have to check into it to know the exact details .. but it sounds good so far.

Thanks for the info.

Last night was very exciting on the stand. Lots of deer on the food plot I was hunting. I finally got a good shot and harvested a small doe. Now I need to pattern the 8pt'er that I saw the other night! Good luck to all and keep posting. By the way, mosquitos are a thing of the past here in the northwestern part of the state.

Congrats on the doe Hammer 'em. You're in the same situation I'm in now, looking for the nice buck. My only problem is I'm limited to weekends to go to the areas I like to hunt. I'll have to try to take a few ducks this weekend and get back to the deer later. Good luck to all.

Congrats on the doe. Hoping to get my first (ever) this weekend.

If I want to continue hunting for that elusive buck, I should get an intensive harvest/management tag and save my normal archery tag for the buck, correct? I don't rifle hunt. I better get it today, if it takes 48hrs, right?

One of the plans I have is to both irratate the buck, but also I intentionally havested a small doe to leave some of the more sexually mature deer. I am going to use these to help bring in some area bucks. These does are very predictable and when the rut starts to kick in, I will just keep hunting food plots and wait for my buck to follow suit. Nice thing is that if your area has lots of does, the bucks will come from miles around to breed. I'm also starting to set up some mock scrapes to help the competition factor a little.

Keep me updated. I'm done hunting for the week and weekend due to duck hunting. I will keep you posted.
Shorelunch,
go and get a management tag. You will want to save your regular tag for the buck. If you tag a doe with you regular archery tag, you will not be allowed to take any bucks.
I still have my management and regular tags open. I filled mine on a intensive harvest tag.....which are also available in some areas.

Good luck.

Shorelunch,
The mgmt.and int. harvest tags only need to be purchased before the doe is taken. You can buy them the night b/4 the hunt. You should definately buy one. It would leave you with the option to take a doe with a mgmt. tag and be able to keep hunting with the reg. tag to go for that buck. Well now it's calling the sporting goods stores to try to find a push pole end for the duck boat, somehow I am missing one since last year. 2 stores were out last night. Have fun and be safe this weekend everyone.

shorelunch, in response to your question regarding mosquito repellant. I bought some stuff called Permanone at Gander Mountain a couple of years back. it was supposed to be scent free and extremely powerful. the can said not to apply to your skin. Only apply it to your clothing once a week. Maybe that explains why both of my girls have three eyes. OK ok bad joke. Seriously, this stuff worked well and I did harvest a deer while using it that year. I am not bow hunting this year so have not used it. It worked good for that sprig turkey hunt too!

Ive only been in Minnesota 1 year and my rifles and Shotguns are in south texas 30 hour drive lol I was wondering if there is any place where i could buy a hunting trip and get a rifle issued that i could hunt with i have never been deer hunting only javalina hunting. Also is deer cleaning and preparation with the hunt package. and is there still time for a deer hunting license

USPENAMC-
You can have your guns shipped from one Federal Firearm License Holder to another. Most sporting goods stores will do this for you. It will be much, much cheaper to have them shipped and have a do-it-yourself hunt. If you are still looking for a guided hunt, there aren't many in Minn. compared to TX and the hunting is much different. Baiting is illegal in Minn. I would suggest you look in Outdoor News (a Minnesota publication), they may have some guided hunts advertised there.

I am fairly new to this forum. Didn't know it had a hunting part. I am going up this weekend to put up stands, build a bridge across a creek, scout, etc. I can hardly wait!

Good to have you on board CodyDawg. I certainly love reading all the fishing tips, stories etc. but this time of year that ole hunting blood gets going and the fishin kind of takes a backseat. I'm still debating about this upcoming weekend. Should it be one last fishing weekend or a bowhunting stint. I'll decide tomorrow night when we leave, I'll either hitch up the boat or pack the bow.

So no one has been out hunting lately?

I have been seeing lots of deer up and about the past few evenings. Last night I passed up on a fantastic looking 6 pointer. He had just great mass for a 6. I may regret it, but what a dandy that one could be next year. WOW! Otherwise I keep seeing this HUGE doe. No lie, this thing will field dress 150+. It's truely a pig. This deers body compares to a 10 point bucks body. I will likely not pass up a shot at her anymore! Otherwise lots of youngsters wandering around.
By the way, that buck walked right past a mock scrape with scent in it. Obviously they aren't even interested in territory yet. Soon.....Soon.

Good luck and keep the stories coming.

I was busted by a doe downwind last weekend. The bugger stood there for 5 minutes and then walked away. 3 questions:

1. Should EVERYTHING you wear be washed in the non-scent stuff?

2. How about skin & hair? I wear a hat/facemask.

3. How important is the scent attractant, or marks or rattling?

- New guy

This is a great point. Downwind is best, but even without scent protectant clothing, I've been successful. Here is what I do. I air out my clothes..everything for 24 hours. I than bag it, and put it on before I hit the field. This is after I get out of my truck. I than spray down with some scent eliminating spray. It's a must to wear rubber boots. I than climb into my stand, spray down my face and hair, and wait. If the deer comes down wind on a windy day, your probably busted, but I've had a slight wind and not gotten busted.

For me, it's the airing out of the clothes. i wash all of them maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but mostly just air dry the heck out of them and than spray down.

Good luck.

Shorelunch, I agree with Cory, wind direction is the key! Once they get downwind of you, the game is over!! I used to be fanatical about washing my clothes, keeping them in a seperate bag, and taking a shower before I went out, but not anymore, I have yet to wash my bowhunting clothes from last year. Nowadays I play the wind and only hunt a stand when the wind is just right. Plus don't cross any of the trails that you expect the deer to follow and approach your stand from downwind. I have a hard time believing that the 'supprescent' clothes and boots will totally mask human scent. What about your face, head, breath?

Here is what I do every time I hit the woods for whiley white tails.I wash all my cloths in uv killer,no sent soap,and a dirt sented dryer sheet.I then place everything and I mean everthing into a large sent lock back toss in one or two dirt sent waffers.
At the landing of the hunt site I dress in those cloths and boots.I carry my heavy outer cloths so I don't get dweaty in them, as I near the stand or blind I start misting some cover sent along with some doe pee.This helps blend in the dirt sent and I found that the dirt sent works better for me as we hunt a mix of hard woods and conifer(Pine trees).At the corner below my stand I spray buck lure and doe pee all over the shrubs about a foot off the ground.Then finish the short walk to the stand, dress very quietly and sit down .I wait one munite then ever so lightly rattle the stick bag and grunt once or twice just to make any bucks close by think I was another buck moving around.
I t will take me between 30 munite to 45 munites to walk the 1/2 mile in to the stand, taking only two or three steps at a time.I believe this best imatates a slow moving deer or larger animal,sure we only have two legs but how does a deer know the differance?
Two years ago I had a large buck absulutly P.Oed at me, but just couldn't convince him to make the last step to the clearing.We spent 35 minutes or so playing out the , who has the biggest grunt and stomp routine.
He finialy moved on not to be seen that year, at least by us.
Last year I had a 6 pointed walk with in 5 yards of me , didn't know I was there at all.Even while I was standing there removing my bibs and parka for the walk out at night.I should point out he was wounded already by one of our less experianced hunters, so I can't claim this deer as mine but he didn't get away.
The point I am sharing here is that the more effort you put into covering your sent the better off you will be.
Thanks for reading this far, Benny

Ohh, I almost for got to inform every one that Beaverbrook gun club is now open to the public for deer rifle/slug gun sight in.
9AM till dusk Saturday and Sunday up till opener.
Take HWY 65(Central Ave) north to Klondike Blvd. go East 1-1/2 miles .Watch for signs on the North side, go all the way back and to the right , you will see all the vhecles then.Be early if you have a new gun and need a bore sight.
25,50 and 100 yard ranges, spotting scopes and targets provided.
Only legal deer calibers, black powder only this weekend or posibly if they are slow out there.This was a record day again for the first open day to sight in, so there are lots of people out there.
There are 10 stations and they try to keep good targets up and the people moving so every one gets a chance.
Cost is $7.00 per gun, this money goes right back into the range and not the whole club.They are tring to get re- zoned for a 300 yard range in the future so every thing they can get will help that process along.

Yes I am a member but I volinteer all my time out there as a range officer.
Please come on out and enjoy the day and fellow hunters, many great stories to be heard.
Thanks, Benny

Bump!!!

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-09-2002).]