• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting

Rick

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for some input on a low power variable scope. I need something down to 1 or 1.5 and the upper end isn't a big problem,..maybe 4-6,...what ever is available.

Does anyone out there use one, or have one that they might recommend? I want to keep it in the average price range,..probably shouldn't spend more on the scope than I did on the rifle,...any input?

Thanks

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-08-2002).]

Looking for some info. on climbing stands. How do they work? I am a bit ignorant on these stands. I assume you climb using the stand but do you also climb the stand down each time? Do they only work good on straight trees with no branches like Aspen or what happens when you reach a branch? Lastly, what are some good reliable brands for a 200 lb person without spending too much? I appreciate any input as I think I need one of these come about Sept. 14th.
Fivebucks.

Fivebucks,

I use a Warren&Sweat Imperial climbing tree stand (only 22lbs). You have to climb up and down a straight, no low limb, tree. If you find a good location and the ideal tree has some low limbs, you're going to have to make some modifications on the tree (cut the limbs).

I wasn't even thinking about deer hunting until last weekend while we were out checking bear baits we saw a fork horn, a six pointer, and two eight pointers all together with a half dozen more further off the road in the woods.

fivebucks - Yeah, I'm getting pumped for bow hunting! Bought a new bow, getting it sited in, putting out some deer stands. Need to get out and knock on a few doors yet, see if I can line up another spot or two. To top it off, I did see two dandy bucks last week, both 10 pointers with a spread wider than their ears!! I know that bucks always look bigger in velvet but these two looked grand!! I'm pumped!

Shorelunch - What type and brand of bow did you buy? The archery shop where you bought it should be able to give you some good tips on shooting and maintenace. In general, wax your string often, replace the string every 3-4 years, listen for rattling/tighten the screws periodically, use a graphite lubricant on the wheels.

Shooting tips - practice, practice, practice until you have the pins set and you can put three arrows in a 6 inch pie plate at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards. When you hit the yardage where you can't get your arrows in a pie plate, then you're beyond your range. I like to take those 30 and 40 yard practice shots, even though I'll never shoot a deer at that range, is because when you move back to 20 yards, it seems easier. Then practice from an elevated stand and from a sitting position. Go to a 3-D shoot, its great practice at realistic targets. Join an archery league this winter. Continue practicing thru out the season.

Accuracy is more important than poundage, you need to be able to put your arrow in the heart/lung area - at a side angle a 50 pound bow will go right thru a whitetail. More poundage is only more important on bigger boned animals like elk. More poundage does flatten out your trajectory, making range estimation less critical but that should not be the determing factor. If you start pointing your bow up to draw back or your shoulder hurts, you're shooting too many pounds. Too many pounds gets worse when its cold out and you've been sitting a few hours and you have lots of clothes on. Accuracy is more important than poundage. Settle on a weight that you're comfortable shooting and holding, becasue that will also affect what type and weight of arrow and broadheads that you buy.

Good luck!

I am spankin' new to archery/deer hunting and bought a new bow (w/accessories) over the weekend. Love shooting and can't wait til Sept. 14.

Does anyone have any pointers on bow maintenance? Shooting tips? I have it set at 50 lbs. With practice, should I keep uping towards 60 or 70 lbs?

Shorelunch,
I'ld look into the license thing further. If you buy it before the season starts you can buy it the day before, however, I believe that once the season is open there is a 2 day wait period. I don't have my regs. here but I think it is more than the day before. I'll try to look that up for you. As for the processing, it isn't hard at all to do it yourself (with a buddy works better). I don't know any processors up by you but make sure you ask if you get your own deer back. Years ago I got some pretty foul tasting deer that spoiled a bit and I know it wasn't mine. Most shops should also let you sample the jerky etc.
Good stickin.
Fivebucks.

5bucks,
I called the DNR (wasn't easy to get through today) and you can by an archery liscence any day before the opener (i.e. Friday afternoon before the Saturday opener). After the opener, it's 48 hours.

I don't know anything about processing deer, I've cleaned my share of fish and upland birds, but my best guess is that deer are a little more complicated. Thanks for the "same deer" advice.

Are there any type of cuts to get or not to get, etc? Love the jerky, sausage and links and haven't had venison steak in a long time & don't know a good way to cook it.

It sucks being new - there's a lot to learn (my dad dird hunted and fished but no deer hunting), but I think I'm already hooked after just range shooting twice. I was given a stack of bow hunting magazines (no, not Playboys unfortunately) and watch the Outdoor Channel (Ted Nugent???) often.

Can't wait.

Here it is from the regs.

License Purchase and Validity
All deer licenses (archery, firearms, muzzleloader) may be purchased
at any time before or during the season. However, a license
purchased on or after the day the respective season opens is not
valid until the second day after the day it is issued (for example, a
license issued on Saturday would not be valid until Monday). A
day is also means midnight to midnight. The respective season refers
to the first season for which the license is valid. The exceptions are
Deer Management and Intensive Harvest permits, which are valid
immediately when issued as long as the appropriate regular license.

Oops. Looks like we cross posted.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 09-05-2002).]

I bought a Golden Eagle Splitfire 36 - my brother-in-law spent an hour with meto get me started. Shot by myself on Monday and was shooting bullseyes from 15 - 25 yards and OK at 30. Of course I'll be going as often as possible til opener.

Being that deert liscenes are confusing to (this) newcomer, I called the DNR 800# and I was told that if you bow hunt only for either doe OR buck, you can get the liscense the day before you hunt. I hope he was correct?

How much does it typically cost to get a deer processed? I haven't really tried the chops prepared correctly and a I really only like jerk, sticks and sausage. Any pointers on what/how to get the deer processed and where in the northern metro?

Gee, that's about it for now.

Shorelunch,
One of my favorite cuts is the backstrap. This if the filet mon yon (spelling?) of the deer. Most processors cut these into chops. I personally don't like meat cut with the bone in and with CWD out there I think it's a good idea to go boneless. I have requested from processors to keep the back strap whole or cut into 4" sections. You get a nice chunk of meat that is almost like a tube and it goes great on the grill. I also grind up all my scraps and make burger. You can't go wrong with steaks either. If it's a decent size deer you may want to try a roast. You'll find out over the years what cuts you prefer and you tailor your butchering to that. The key to cooking venison is NOT to overcook it and to get off all the fat. I take it off the grill with a touch of red inside cause it always seems to cook more after removed from the heat. One last piece of meat not to miss is the tenderloins. These you take out on your own just after hanging the deer. They are just inside the cavity along the backbone/rib cage area extending down to the lower cavity. These make good camp meat immediatly along with the heart.

I'm looking forward to the 14th. I've got several stands all ready depending on where I go. Good huntin!
Fivebucks.

Not to cause any trouble, but the fillet comes from the tenderloin...they are one in the same. The tenderloins are found near the pelvic section of the deer. They aren't very noticeable if you don't know what you are looking for, but god forbid you miss them. Those are what most hunters eat the day of the kill. Very tender and tasty. The backstraps are also very good. If you butcher the deer yourself, they will be found on the top side of the rips near the spine. These you can actually pull out if you are carefull. The hinds hold some nice meat for roast and steaks, but I primarily use this for my jerky. Front legs are jerky and scrap meat only! Good luck!

The heart??? Really? Sounds like someone's seen Red Dawn or Dances With Wolves one too many times!!!

I guess I'll worry about the processing later. First, I need to see a deer, second, I need to not soil my drawers if I do, third, I need to not drop my arrow or bow and remember how to shoot and fourth, I need to hit the darn thing.

Is it typically around $200 for processing (w/jerky, sticks, etc)?

Shorelunch..

I havent had a deer processed for years but I would guess you are close if your having the other stuff made ... I process my own so I couldnt give an accurate answer.

Another reason to learn to process your own is not only will you have the meat immediately ... but allot of processors out there simply take the weight of the deer and work off a percentage raitio on how much meat you get back by weight ... In other words... your not neccessarily getting the meat you brought in back from the processor. Im sure there are many out there that give you your deer meat, but several dont. If I would choose to shoot a young doe just for good meat ... I dont want to get a *swamp buck* back.

Just another 2 cents added in.

I had the luck to run into a very informative processor couple years ago when it was so warm. He suggested not to have your meat "mixed" with beef or pork at the processor. He said that the added meat causes the venison to spoil faster even if it is frozen. He recommended that if I wanted to mix my venison that I do it with fresh beef or pork just prior to cooking. I prefer not to mix my venison at all, but it wa a good tip since lots of processors like to mix the meat for you. If I am going to make sausage, I will have the processor make me some ground, but I then make the sausage myself. That is the only way I can control what spices are put in. The smaller, owner run processors usually are very good at giving you your own deer back. The bigger ones just start cutting away and you never really know whose deer you get.

Shorelunch,
The heart is excellent. We've been eating it for 20 years. Just slice it up and pan fry it mushrooms & onions over a slow heat. You can bread the heart in flour also. I recommend it highly. Of course you can always try to talk someone who just got their first deer to take a bite raw but so far we haven't been able to talk anyone into that. One week to go.
Fivebucks.