• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting

Rick

I'm afraid that this cold snowy spring we had is not going to help this year. I don't think there will be a very good fawn crop this year. The deer I have seen so far this year look hungry and thin. I hope it warms up soon.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reply is 3 months late, regarding the large number of dead deer...Maybe you've heard something about it in your area by now. In South Dakota west of the Missouri, there were a tremendous number of whitetail deer killed by CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). It was real bad 2 seasons ago and the whitetail numbers really took a hit. They are just starting to work there way back. For some reason mule deer in the same area were not affected.

Freindly Reminder the deadline for Doe Tag applications is One Week away.I'm anxious as all get out.

------------------
Common sense isn't common

I am writing this to clarify what HOF#13 posted regarding the deer die-off in South Dakota. I deer hunt there nearly every year, so I try to keep up on this.

The disease the killed off huge numbers of West River whitetails WAS NOT CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease), it was EHD (Epizootic Hemmorhagic Disease). Although there have been reported cases of CWD in South Dakota (mostly on private game farms), it has never been responsible for more than a few recorded deer deaths.

EHD has been around for years and years. It is passed from deer to deer by biting midges and, although it is not caused by such, overpopulation can contribute to the severity of an outbreak (via close proximity of animals).

Every year, EHD kills a certain number of deer in any population......some years are worse than others. Diseased deer can be seen in summer and early fall, but once the hard freezes come, the instects die and the spreading stops.

CWD is an entirely different animal and not much is known about it......however, it doesn't do anyone any good to be spreading incorrect information about what is killing deer in South Dakota.

Hi all you deer hunters, heres a note to help anyone looking for a great and resonably priced range to sight in thier rifle,pistol or slug gun.Beaverbrook gun club is open to the public every weekend in October , $7.00 per gun,targets,spotting scope,knowledgable support all included.Bore sighting also available for a little extra $2.00 I think?
I was out there to day to volunteer for them and it was steady flow of shooters, but next few weekends will get very busy. I recommend getting there Sunday or next weekend early or around noon are the best times to avoid a line.Last year on the last weekend we had over 200 guns go through the range thanks to good weather and sun.
I am a member, but recieve no money for this post .Just want to help others find a great range to shoot at.
Directions are ,hwy65(central) north to Klondike Drive about 1 mile north of co rd 22, right (east) about 1 mile to palisaide st. watch for sign on the left (north) side for the club, follow road back through gates and into the parking lot.
Thanks and good luck hunting, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-14-2001).]

huskminn, no Beaverbrook is only open to the public in October.If your in a pinch though, and I have a free weekend in November, I would be willing to meet you up there or some where between Coon Rapids and the range.I can bring in up two quest, they have to pay $5.00 per gun . Let me know if you need to work something out.I will be up north for zone one opener, but may be down here the following weekend and posibly the last weekend depending on opener success.
I don't want to make this an every weekend deal for the whole twin cities, but a few people now and then, just to have a person to shoot and chat with while the barrel cools.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-16-2001).]

I heard this today I want to hear this and tell me if it is true. A person in the state can buy a Multizone Tag (Bucks Only) yet can put in for up to 3 intenstive harvest permits? If this is true why doesn't everyone do this? It is a guarenteed doe permit (3) if you buy the extra tags which I was told are half price.

Benny,

That's a very generous offer! I can understand your unwillingness to extend it to the entire state.

Hopefully, I will find the time to shoot prior to November, but I am waiting on the delivery of a new scope. I will certainly contact you if I'm running out of time.

Thanks!

Need some help. My brother and a friend of his are going out hunting this year and it has been about 10 yrs for either of them cleaning a buck. Can anyone give me a web site or book at the library he can get a hold of to have directions for him in the field. Does not want to tarnish the meat of course.

Thanks-
Broncosguy

I sent you an e-mail, but in case it gets lost in cyber space, I could meet you there at 9:00AM.I will check my e-mail in the morning around 8:30AM and this thread also.
Leaving for the north country at noon, have to drop off the boat for winter at Bradford.
Good luck hunting!
Benny

I hope not! My son was out with me last year at 10 and will be out tomorrow at 11. I've never tried to push things on him but if he wants to go, and I can keep him warm, I bring him along. Last year I used my doe tag when he was with because he wanted to see the whole thing. he helped track after the shot, and found the deer 40 yards away. He even helped hold legs while field dressing. Talk about making me a proud papa! Many people know I've taken him and no one has said anything yet, nor have I read anything to the contrary. Good luck! - Gadget

Does anyone know what the state land is called just east of Cross Lake? I believe it may be Cross Lake refuge. The recreation compass shows the area to be state land, but I dont think it is "state forest". And the hunting regulations handbook lists the area for public hunting. I just have no idea what it's called, so getting information is a little tough. Thanks.

Rippinlip,

There is nothing that should keep you from taking a youngster out. Only reference the Hunting rules make to this is that nonliscensed people may not aid in the taking of game(i.e. shooting one for you, making drives for you...). I've been taking mine for years.

Hey Jeff, nice to hear from you! Yeah its a sickening feeling to not be able to take home a deer that you have shot. I had it happen to me three years ago, and I still think about what else I could have done to find it.

Are you bow hunting? If so let me know, I had a nice buck eating apples in the back of the house a couple weeks ago, and I didn't hear any shooting this first season, and if he makes it threw doe season he'll probably be back.

I be in the woods early saturday hoping for a really big buck, and a small doe for my management tag.

Good luck to all!!!

(Jeff you'll have to stop down check out the work Toms Taxidermy did for me.)

Hey Sarge,

You probably already heard, but my buck hunt was a bummer! I lost a dandy buck.... 4 1/2 hours of searching yielded nothin' but an empty feeling in my gut. I guess it happens... but it was my first experience losing a deer I hit.

Overall, the SE Minnesota hunt was in one word..... TERRIBLE! The warm weather certainly hampered the daylight deer activity. I have talked to a number of deer hunters, and not one has had much positive to say about the 3A season.

My guess is you have quite a few bucks left out there for your season... and I have no doubt that you will see plenty of chasin' goin' on!

Good LUCK!!!

Say-Tree

P.S. Maybe you should hang out in Jim's backyard!!!!!!!!

Just had to say our deer hunt was a blast, I went the multi-buck so I had more time with my daughters, though I did not need it. We shot my buck at about 7:00 on opening day. I was done so I had to wait til 4B to hunt with the rest of the party. Later that day all of my daughters and I were driving around to see how some others were doing and we talked to the game warden and he even said the success was real low around our area. So I considered myself lucky to be blessed with a deer that early in the hunt.
Did get to see several more deer on he second season including 2 big 8-pointers that our party bagged.