• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The good news is we may be seeing an early ice out date

tacklejunkie

I've seen a few people here and on social media platforms complaining about the coverage of how bad it is up north for the resorts this year, but honestly, I don't blame the newspapers reporting these stories. I barely get to fish that much and am not that connected to the ice fishing community, but just talking to a few people I've heard first-hand accounts of people getting stranded on URL for days, resorts on Winnie having to cancel in late January due to slush/unsafe ice. I booked a house in Alex for MLK weekend and they didn't even have their houses out until a day or two before we arrived....

All in all it's been one of the worst years in recent memory for ice fishing. But even with that said, I have a difficult time with the state bailing out these resorts.

17 hours ago, Getanet said:

I've seen a few people here and on social media platforms complaining about the coverage of how bad it is up north for the resorts this year, but honestly, I don't blame the newspapers reporting these stories. I barely get to fish that much and am not that connected to the ice fishing community, but just talking to a few people I've heard first-hand accounts of people getting stranded on URL for days, resorts on Winnie having to cancel in late January due to slush/unsafe ice. I booked a house in Alex for MLK weekend and they didn't even have their houses out until a day or two before we arrived....

All in all it's been one of the worst years in recent memory for ice fishing. But even with that said, I have a difficult time with the state bailing out these resorts.

I joined my youngest son and his buddy when they were out on one of the local lakes and the snow and the slush were horrible that you couldn’t even keep the snow out of your ice hole unless you sat perfectly still.  I am sympathetic to the plight of these resorts but when you’re  in  your business is determined on what the weather does it’s a huge gamble 

Although I went to Lake of the Woods and rented an ice shelter at the beginning of January and conditions up there weren’t too bad

Edited by tacklejunkie

18 hours ago, Getanet said:

i can see your point, BUT how is that any different then all these TIF incentives to other businesses...........

Its clearly been a tough year for a lot of businesses that make their living off the lakes.  While I can sympathize with them and understand their perspective I'm not sure they should be offered up much government assistance unless its in the form of some sort of low interest loan to ensure they have spring start up costs covered.  Although I feel like if you're a business that is at the mercy of mother nature and you aren't able to withstand one poor winter and open up the following spring without outside assistance then I don't think you're bound to be in the business very long.

Every business comes with inherent risk.  When you make your living on the lake in the winter you know you are 100% at the mercy of mother nature year in and year out.  Some years you get great conditions starting early in the year and you're able to make some extra bank.  Some years you get kicked in the teeth with bad ice conditions that prevent you from making as much money.  Its a risk you accept when you decide to make your living that way and you hope you can use the boom years to help get you through the bust years.  Its really no different than any other business.  Every business has its ups and downs and outside challenges that aren't always within your control.  You can't bail out every business when they run into some type of struggle.

Do you guys go all hard nose about bailouts for Farmers?   Subsidized crop insurance?   Maybe the state needs a subsidized weather insurance program for resorts?     After all if it's good for farmers it should be good for the resorts.  

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
19 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Do you guys go all hard nose about bailouts for Farmers?   Subsidized crop insurance?   Maybe the state needs a subsidized weather insurance program for resorts?     After all if it's good for farmers it should be good for the resorts.  

I guess that would depend on if it's for the public good or not. ?????

Last Ice season ended poorly and this one never happened for the most part in some areas of the state.  I’d say most businesses that lose 4-5 of their most profitable months would be hurting pretty bad.  Especially single lines of business like bait shops and resorts that cater to sportsmen.

Of all the situations that involve government assistance, wouldn’t you think this would be one sportsmen could see some support for?  Don’t get me wrong, I always lean toward the survival of the fittest mentality too but think about it, lose some resorts and bait shops in the heart of MN’s recreational paradise and see how you feel about having to travel an extra 40 miles for minnows or not have roads plowed on popular winter lakes.  This one actually could affect us directly.  Plus, less resources could mean the loss of tourism dollars from outside MN and lost tax revenue from failed businesses.

Just think about it...

18 minutes ago, Duffman said:

One of the positive things is that the resource doesn't get pounded, which bodes well for future open water and ice seasons.

Talk about deflecting and changing the subject..... Like, come on dude.   

17 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Talk about deflecting and changing the subject..... Like, come on dude.   

Good one Del. ?

11 hours ago, Duffman said:

One of the positive things is that the resource doesn't get pounded, which bodes well for future open water and ice seasons.

That IS a positive but I doubt we’d really see the effects for more than 1 open water season.

15 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Where does it end? Ski Resorts? Powersports vendors? I know that some places that hold large events during major holidays like July 4th can purchase event insurance, a lot of the county fairs do the same thing.....I wonder if this is an option?

18 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Last Ice season ended poorly and this one never happened for the most part in some areas of the state.  I’d say most businesses that lose 4-5 of their most profitable months would be hurting pretty bad.  Especially single lines of business like bait shops and resorts that cater to sportsmen.

Of all the situations that involve government assistance, wouldn’t you think this would be one sportsmen could see some support for?  Don’t get me wrong, I always lean toward the survival of the fittest mentality too but think about it, lose some resorts and bait shops in the heart of MN’s recreational paradise and see how you feel about having to travel an extra 40 miles for minnows or not have roads plowed on popular winter lakes.  This one actually could affect us directly.  Plus, less resources could mean the loss of tourism dollars from outside MN and lost tax revenue from failed businesses.

Just think about it...

I get what you are saying on this but I really try to apply the same mindset to all special interests.  Should I support some sort of public assistance for resorts just so I don't have to drive a little further to get bait but then tell some other special interest group that doesn't impact me to screw off when they look for some assistance after experiencing some type of loss in revenue?  Seems kind of hypocritical.  If one group gets assistance why shouldn't everyone? 

If resorts really do go under after one bad year then my guess is that something will pop up to fill the void.  Hopefully whatever business fills the void will be able to survive a bad season. 

Maybe some type of weather related insurance for resorts isn't a bad idea.  Resorts could buy in each year to protect against these bad years.  Seems like there could be some sort of private business opportunity there if someone could find a way to price the risk correctly.  

21 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Do you guys go all hard nose about bailouts for Farmers? 

Yes

Subsidized crop insurance? 

Yes

Maybe the state needs a subsidized weather insurance program for resorts?   

My business is effected by weather fluctuations and winter in general, why not include every business that has negative side effects from the weather?

After all if it's good for farmers it should be good for the resorts.  

I'm not in favor of bailouts for anyone but how can you compare farmers who put food on the tables of Americans with resort owners?

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

My business is effected by weather fluctuations and winter in general, why not include every business that has negative side effects from the weather?

Sure, that was my point.  Once you start insuring farmers against weather then it it gets hard to justify not also insuring resorts and bait shops adn snow plowing businesses and lawn care and Dave....  

17 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Sure, that was my point.  Once you start insuring farmers against weather then it it gets hard to justify not also insuring resorts and bait shops adn snow plowing businesses and lawn care and Dave....  

To Dave's point, everyone needs to eat. Even if those who don't like insuring farmers have to admit what they produce serves the greater good. Not many people need to fish - and if they do, they don't need to do it at a resort.

53 minutes ago, Getanet said:

To Dave's point, everyone needs to eat. Even if those who don't like insuring farmers have to admit what they produce serves the greater good. Not many people need to fish - and if they do, they don't need to do it at a resort.

Not many people need ethanol either.

13 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

But Dave says they are doing it for the good of the community, not to make money.   Just like the public servant farmers.   

You can do something for the good of the community and get compensated for the value provided to the community.

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I agree with you except when you directly compare food producers with entertainment providers. Food is one of mankind's basic needs. Fishing for sport is a hobby.

53 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

But Dave says they are doing it for the good of the community, not to make money.   Just like the public servant farmers.   

When did I say that? I think Dr. Nick should check you for Dementia.