• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Old Boat

Big Dave2

Got me a new boat for up north at our camper. Got the motor from a friend who hasn't used it for 2 years. I put new gas and oil in the can this morning. After about 15 pulls I got her started but even though I had the ear muffs attached, no water was streaming out of the pee hole. I know for a fact it was fine when put away so do you think something just crawled in there and built a nest? 

20190729_203821.jpg

20190729_211411.jpg

Dry rot was my thought.  

I would shoot some compressed air in there, but I'm guessing it's not gonna fix it.  That little motor probably doesn't pee hard but I doubt anything that's small enough to crawl in there can build a nest strong enough to hold water back.  I've been down that road of wishful thinking before ?

Not too hard to drop the lower unit on that thing and give it a look.  

Edited by bobbymalone

10 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

Those Johnsons don't pee with muffs on, put it in a barrel or garbage can and run it.

i got a 40 johnson and pees with muffs????????????????

my guess the impeller. looks broke in too, an empty beer can!!!!!!!!

put the million dollar question.............................can you catch fish in the summer.....i've seen you ice fishing skills!!!!!!!!!!!??:grin:

25 minutes ago, smurfy said:

i got a 40 johnson and pees with muffs????????????????

my guess the impeller. looks broke in too, an empty beer can!!!!!!!!

put the million dollar question.............................can you catch fish in the summer.....i've seen you ice fishing skills!!!!!!!!!!!??:grin:

That's a 6 horse, they just don't pee like big studs. Yep during the summer I do fine--winter let's not even bring that up.??

17 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

That's a 6 horse, they just don't pee like big studs. Yep during the summer I do fine--winter let's not even bring that up.??

?the winter/summer fishing skills was actually for Dave!!!!!!? but now that we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

14 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

Those Johnsons don't pee with muffs on, put it in a barrel or garbage can and run it.

^^^^^This is the answer^^^^^

I did some research online yesterday after I posted this and it appears that these little motors need to be in a barrel of water that is well over the impeller level and even then sometimes you need to put the motor in gear to get it pumping. After I did that, it was peeing like Smurfy after 6 light beers.?

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

^^^^^This is the answer^^^^^

I did some research online yesterday after I posted this and it appears that these little motors need to be in a barrel of water that is well over the impeller level and even then sometimes you need to put the motor in gear to get it pumping. After I did that, it was peeing like Smurfy after 6 light beers.?

?:crazy: HEY!!!!!!!! how'd you know!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so now after getting that issue taken care of, it appears that the motor runs great at higher speeds but will not stay running at idle speed. 

I took the carb off and thoroughly cleaned it even though it looked surprisingly clean in the first place. I also took the little fuel pump off and cleaned all those parts and reassembled.  It now idles down farther than it did before but is still not right. 

I ordered the kit to rebuild the fuel pump so I will try that when it gets here and see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Ok, so now after getting that issue taken care of, it appears that the motor runs great at higher speeds but will not stay running at idle speed. 

I took the carb off and thoroughly cleaned it even though it looked surprisingly clean in the first place. I also took the little fuel pump off and cleaned all those parts and reassembled.  It now idles down farther than it did before but is still not right. 

I ordered the kit to rebuild the fuel pump so I will try that when it gets here and see how it goes.

They don't like to idle in a barrel very well, high speed fine -low no.

20 hours ago, smurfy said:

tried new plugs?????? played with or adjusted the high/low speed????? have you actually had it running in a lake ???? maybe just needs some use????

18 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

They don't like to idle in a barrel very well, high speed fine -low no.

17 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I would def try running it in the lake first, but it could need an idle adjustment or a low speed needle adjustment needed on the carb.

Got it. We are bringing it with us up north tonight and were planning to give it a test run in the lake anyway so we will try it out and I will report back next week.

17 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Seems like you're putting in some work into this thing, Dave.  Maybe you should do like Sledneck suggested in a different thread and just buy a brand new boat.  From the looks of the tow vehicle, I'd buy a new truck too.

I didn't know you were as big of a richard as Sledneck......