• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Old Boat

Big Dave2

If it was anything electrical it would either run on 1 plug or not run at all. What year is that motor?

There is only 1 carb. adjustment you can make, no separate high and low speed.

Edited by Juneau4

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

BTW, I did adjust the low speed needle and I think that's the only adjustment to be made on this carb?

I have an 82 'rude 75hp 3 cyl and my high speed jets are fixed, but can adjust the low speeds.

Not familiar with your motor, but I know some old OMC/Johnson's have a known issue with a plastic ring on the low speed needle.  I did some serious tinkering with mine and eventually replaced the needles.  They would dump too much fuel and it would run rich, foul plugs.  

I don't remember the exact issue or know what motors are affected.  It was something I read in my shop manual.  Which if you aren't going to go the Sledneck route and buy a $70K ranger to solve your old motor problems, I would def invest $30 in a quality shop manual.  Mine has been worth thousands in $$$ saved.

Edited by bobbymalone

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Got it. We are bringing it with us up north tonight and were planning to give it a test run in the lake anyway so we will try it out and I will report back next week.

bring oars!!!!!!!!!!!?:rolleyes:

Half the fun is playing with the motor you need and the place you wish, and can afford to do. I'd bet that 6 will be just fine and provide a lot of fun.

BD2 enjoy playing with it and all the frustration that go's with part of it,  when your done you will enjoy it much more than someone who just went down and bought a new one and never figured it out. Also bet you catch just as many fish with a lot less $$$ spent on equipment and have just as much fun.(Maybe more)

I think to many people are involve that $$ & cents = quality.

6 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

If it was anything electrical it would either run on 1 plug or not run at all. What year is that motor?

Since it has a magneto the spark could be weaker at low speed, where the motor has problems.  Bad plugs would do the same thing. 

Crankcase seals could also be an issue.

I wonder what would turn up googling old Johnson 6 won't idle.

7 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

my money is some fresh gas and a good run in the lake under a load for a good period of time will do it. oh and oars!!!!!!!!!!:P

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

my money is some fresh gas and a good run in the lake under a load for a good period of time will do it. oh and oars!!!!!!!!!!:P

Better take your wife along to run those oars. ? Just in case.

Edited by Juneau4

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Since it has a magneto the spark could be weaker at low speed, where the motor has problems.  Bad plugs would do the same thing. 

Crankcase seals could also be an issue.

I wonder what would turn up googling old Johnson 6 won't idle.

Don't make it so complicated. It's not.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Plugs, points, tuneup, 40 year old coils.  That's not complicated.

After that it could get more difficult 

With electronics, it's not, if the motor is missing, or doesn't have spark, it's electrical.  None of that was ever said. Runs fine on high speed , but not on idle, it's fuel.

This was all in a barrel and I said high speed works in the barrel, but not low speed.

I also said muffs don't work on those motors, to pump water.

It's a fuel and resistance problem that more than likely will be solved once that boat and motor are on the lake.

Don't make it complicated. KISS  (keep it simple -----___).

54 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

Don't make it complicated. KISS  (keep it simple -----___).

The fresh gas and run it around the lake sure might work, or might  not.  

No electronics in a motor like that, magnets and coils and breaker points all on top of the block under the flywheel.   

Fresh gas and run it around, maybe with a good shot of seafoam or something is certainly the first thing.   

If that works, make a thanks offering to the deity or principle of your choice.   Or not.   

I'm less sure than you are that it will be ok after that.    Still could be carb, some little idle passage plugged even though it was cleaned.  I guess we will find out fairly soon.

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

The fresh gas and run it around the lake sure might work, or might  not.  

No electronics in a motor like that, magnets and coils and breaker points all on top of the block under the flywheel.   

Fresh gas and run it around, maybe with a good shot of seafoam or something is certainly the first thing.   

If that works, make a thanks offering to the deity or principle of your choice.   Or not.   

I'm less sure than you are that it will be ok after that.    Still could be carb, some little idle passage plugged even though it was cleaned.  I guess we will find out fairly soon.

Fly Wheel, coils, plugs and points seem to be basic electronics to me. If it's firing on both cylinders at high and low speed, that tells me they are all good.

If it just wants to die out at idle speed, then it's a fuel problem.

17 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

Fly Wheel, coils, plugs and points seem to be basic electronics to me. If it's firing on both cylinders at high and low speed, that tells me they are all good.

If it just wants to die out at idle speed, then it's a fuel problem.

I guess our ideas of electronics differ.  

Could be a fuel problem for sure.  Maybe some little hole in the carb is blocked..     How to monitor spark on a motor like that is a good question.   Timing light ?   

7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Jam a screwdriver in the boot and hold it close to the engine block.

I  was thinking about while it was running around the lake.  I guess I'll wait until we hear from Dave how the "clean gas and run around the lake" works out.  

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I  was thinking about while it was running around the lake.  I guess I'll wait until we hear from Dave how the "clean gas and run around the lake" works out. 

Well if I am out running around the lake, I probably won't have a timing light or an inline spark tester.  But I will have a screwdriver.  Done it before.

When you have an old motor, it sometimes gets to be more of a combat hospital job than the mayo clinic.

I had a little 6hp Johnson like that always had a miss on top end I couldn't figure out til one day it must have been darker out when I was messing with it. At full throttle the way the distributor advanced it would pull the plug wire just enough to expose a crack and it would arc. I see no reason why you couldn't get a miss on the low end the same way. I had that dumb wire in my hand a half dozen times and I could never see it. Cant hurt to have a new one made for a few bucks. Cheaper then any of the parts I bought that didn't fix mine.