• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jerky Recipes And Cooking Methods?

With the (hopeful) extra meat a lot of hunters will be bagging this weekend, I was wondering if any of you make your own jerky? I'm more interested in venison/wild game jerky, but beef should translate well. Specifically, I'd like to know your recipes and methods of making the jerky. 

Do you use a smoker, dehydrator, oven, etc?

Any recipe that you found to be the best?

I just made some using a leftover Cabelas seasoning mix last week in the dehydrator. I'd like to smoke the next batch and use a homemade marinade, I have a couple roasts for next week. 

so many ways to make it. :) I am a fan of high mountain jerky cure and a dehydrator. they make a lot of flavors but hickory or mesquite are my go to choices.  ground jerky or whole meat. I like the whole meat jerky a tadd better but prefer to make steaks out of as much as possible so usually just do jerky with trimmings that I grind up. I have used smoker and oven over the years also. Love the dehydrator.

Actually on the smoker for Deer camp now.  Small brisket and venny Jerky.  Brisket sam's at camp tonight!! ?

The Brisket was dry rub and the jerky was marinated.

My marinate is never the same twice cuz I just kind of use what I have for seasonings at the time. I usually soak it overnight but this time only a few hours as I am in a time crunch. 

The two main things in it are a few oz’s of Worcestershire and Soy sauce. 

This time is was some garlic salt, and a few different blacking seasons I had.

Some guys like to add maple sugar but I like smoky and salty over sweet.

Started the brisket at 7:00am and just put the jerky on. 

IMG_0131.JPG

6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

looks nice. do you just dry the jerky in the smoker or use wood and how much if you do. I always had it get way too strong so I must have been doing it wrong.  Haven't smoked any for 20 years.

Yep just put it on the rack and let her smoke and dry out. Not sure if you have ever had jerky for Osseo Meats but theirs is a little more meaty, softer and smoky like I like, then the hard dried shoe leather like say Mcdonalds meats clear makes! ?

Edited by leech~~

41 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

do you just dry the jerky in the smoker or use wood and how much if you do? 

Um? Dry in the smoker-Yes   Wood smoked-Yes. How much?  Wood or meat?  I put in about 3-4 lbs of cut up venny steaks and cops from last years Deer. 

eyeguy,

I would use my charcoal smoker and add chunks of hickory to dry out my jerky. About 2/3 of a coffee can was all I used and a few chunks of hickory tossed on top. Started the coals in one of those Weber starter cans. Smoke for and hour then switch the grates around so they would both cook even. My favorite blend was High Mountain pepper blend. It was Osseo meat that got me to make my own. There stuff was great but at $15.00 a pound...

On 11/2/2018 at 2:03 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

lol. :)  I was wondering since the chunk of meat is smoked already 

Not sure what meat you use but the roasts that gets cut up fer jerky here are not pre smoked so smoke is a must on a smoker.. ?Another nod for high mountain,  sweet n spicey..

12 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

pre smoked... LOL   the brisket (chunk of meat) looks smoked. so i was wondering how much more he adds if any when he does the jerky. 

Sorry was out in the woods the last two days.

I put the brisket in at 7:00am and smoked it for about 4 hrs then throw in the jerky for about 2 hrs to smoke and dry.  Again I like jerky that is smokey and a bit on the softer side then shoe leather.  The brisket was in for about another 3hrs after I pulled the jerky.

Son took a spike on opening morning and I pasted on two Doe's and a spike since we have meat now with his. 

Edited by leech~~

Worchestershire and soy sauce are my go to marinades as well. I prefer my jerky on the dry side. Personal preference, but also a piece of mind for those people I share it with who aren't so in to wild game, it's a guarantee the jerky has been cooked through. Not shoe leather, I pull it around the time the jerky is pliable but starts to break a little. By the time it cools it's about perfect for my taste. 

I have one marinading now and hoping to try it in the smoker tomorrow! Hopefully it'll keep consistent heat with the low temps tomorrow, might be interesting. 

I'll share mine. 

½ C. Dale's Steak Seasoning. If you can't find this you can substitute equal parts soy and  Worcestershire sauce.

1 t. Onion Powder

½ t. Garlic Powder

½ t. Black Pepper

¼ t. Cayenne Pepper

2 - 3 lbs. meat sliced across the grain to about 1/4" thick and cut into bite-sized pieces.

Thoroughly mix all ingredients.  Stir to blend well. Pour into a vacuum pack bag along with the meat and vacuum seal it.  Work the bag to thoroughly mix the ingredients. Place in the refrigerator overnight. For best penetration periodically kneed and flip over the bag. Sprinkle extra black pepper after placing on drying racks. Dry until desired tenderness (about 6 hours on my dehydrator).

Smoked venison jerky turned out very well! Smoked a little over 3lbs for about 6 hours at 185 degrees. Internal smoker temp held pretty consistent at about 178. Only loaded one handful of chips and the smoke came out just about right. Not a huge smoke flavor but just enough

On 11/9/2018 at 5:26 PM, bobberineyes said:

Great idea Bob, I'll marinate steaks and especially chicken with Dale's but haven't tried jerky yet. Friends down south bring it up for us.

20181109_171953_resized.jpg

It's good stuff. I use it with chicken, pork, beef, venison, fish, you name it. I can get it locally at Elden's in Alexandria. 

changing it up this year. the pork loin jerky is so dang good all the venny that isnt a steak is going to burger and sausage. :)  I hope to try your recipe bob on the pork. I bet it will be nice. I gotta go 24 hours tho for whole meat in brine.

Thanks Bob, I going to try this. I'm going to use a copycat recipe for the Dales, Dales got the monosodium glutamate in it's ingredient  list.  No good for me. Found this on google search. I think I'll leave out the liquid smoke too. My batch will be going to the smoker to dehydrate.

ingredients

3 cups soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 dash black pepper
1 dash paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

directions

Combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well with a wire whisk until incorporated. 

Store the mixture in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. 

Use as a seasoning or marinade for steak, chicken, pork, lamb, fish, and vegetables. Marinade for 10-15 minutes (you don't need much longer than that).