• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jerky Recipes And Cooking Methods?

question, thinking of taking a pork loin and making jerky out of it. i usually use hickory flavor. would some other flavor be better suited for pork???????? not a big fan of teryiaki so there is that!  will probably use the backwoods seasonings at runnings or fleet farm.

did pork jerky last week and just started the dehydrator again with another 4 pounds.  hickory from hi mountain and I add a tsp pepper to 4 pounds meat. it has pepper in the mix already but gotta have a touch more. personally, i prefer the dryer over the smoker. should be done in about 5 hours. i started doing the pork a strong 1/4 inch and thicker is better.  also started pickling gills last night. 

124a.jpg

looks like the same dehydrator i have eyeguy. i bought 2-5lb loins. half will be in hickory the other half in carrabean jerk seasoning. i cut my loins in 1/2 the long way to make smaller pieces, i see you did not. 

8 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

i use the meat slicer. :)  when all dry I cut in smaller piece with meat scissors. should be done before long. 

i'll use one too, i'll get it mostly froze before slicing!!!!! pictures please.........first time doing this and gotta see how its supposed to look!!!!!!!!!:grin: 

18 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

for dry brine 24 hours per 1/4 inch. I cut a little thicker so 36 works for me. wet brine for ground 4 hours is good. 8 hours for wet whole meat?  have not done that so should be fine if directions say it is. 

Thanks for the advice eyeguys!!!

5 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

cool, why so dark on edges? brine?

I cut them pretty thick. The edges did get a bit overdone waiting for the centers to dry enough. A few hours in a Ziploc and the moisture evened out nicely. The ginger is really strong, I'll cut that in half next time. All in all I'm pretty happy with the finished product, but a half loin is not near enough.  BTW, all the trimmings are going into my venison grind tomorrow.