• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yes. Pigeons. ?

I was invited to join a friend to help with pigeon control on another friend’s farm yesterday.  What a fun way to spend a summer afternoon!  We didn’t just flush em from a barn and pass shoot the whole time.  Nope.  We made a decoy set, put up a blind  and whacked em the final approach to start. 

My friends custom pigeon dekes.

8A90B982-60D5-4C73-945A-444B663A31DB.thumb.jpeg.54c3113926226b16d26e1ef0fd4a0ac0.jpeg

Test set in his driveway.

735815AC-5C6B-4C28-A456-7E593A5B8AD0.thumb.jpeg.36f121fb22227917706d1e39798af215.jpeg

He added a couple spinning wings to the set and it was game on.

This was his second time out to the same farm and the birds have wised up already but the population has been reduced by 70 birds in two visits.  The farm owners are pleased.  We were welcomed back of course and sent home with fresh corn on the cob and a huge cabbage.  I offered to share our bounty but they declined. ?

The thing is: we breasted the birds and I cooked them up for my family with the corn on the cob when I got home.  My first time trying pigeon and the family tentatively tried some as well.  The result: bring more pigeons home; they’re pretty tasty. ?

Anybody else shooting them?

Everyone thinks pigeons are “dirty”.  I guess I had to get over that idea too.  It’s not like they have manure sticking to their feathers and toes; they look like a game bird.

Other critters that feed (and water) in the same places pigeons do:

Mourning Doves 

Turkeys

Ducks

Geese

Sandhill Cranes

Pheasants

Deer

Others...

Other critters that live in the same barns where pigeons roost (and make the barns look and smell the way they do).

Chickens

Turkeys

Pigs

Cows

Sheep

Goats

Llaamas

Emus

Etc....

I think you know where I’m going. ?

When I was a kid we would drive to all the neighboring farms and ask if we could thin out their pigeons. No one ever said no. When I was younger I was one of those that would have to climb up in the barn and be a "flusher". As we got older we recruited more youngsters to do the flushing and graduated to "shooter". We shot lots of pigeons but no one ever gave eating them a thought....

I have trapped and caught many pigeons for training dogs, over the years. Not sure I could ever get past the idea of trying to eat them though? ?

You should try to get them with a net or trap and sell them on hsolist or get in with some dog trainers, you could make some $$$

5 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

You could use the meat mixed with pork for sausage or ground jerky. 

No need to disguise the taste that much. I fried them to MR in olive oil, garlic powder and sea salt.  Finished with a shake of Montreal Chicken seasoning.  Same as would quickly prepare other upland game.

2 hours ago, rundrave said:

You should try to get them with a net or trap and sell them on hsolist or get in with some dog trainers, you could make some $$$

We gave a couple to the neighbor for his dog training.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I've never tried them but I have always wondered why they wouldn't eat much like a Dove?  ?

Same thought process for me.  They are darker than dove but not too far off.

I needed to try eating them to keep my interest up for “hunting” them.  Now that I’m good with that, I have a new hunt to enjoy. If I don’t eat my game, I have a hard time taking the effort to kill it. ?

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

try them before you knock them....:)

2 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Remember, he liked the neighbors food after he tried it. ?

I'm sure it's tasty, but I have never tried dog either. :D

Calm down people, I am just kidding around. ;)

We used to keep landscaping supplies out on a farm in Rosemount back in the day, and blast away at them when they emerged from the barn.

Sticking with the Clint theme..............

Farm cats gotta eat, same as worms. :)

Being a member of the dove family, I am sure the meat is simular.

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

I'm sure it's tasty, but I have never tried dog either. :D

Calm down people, I am just kidding around. ;)

We used to keep landscaping supplies out on a farm in Rosemount back in the day, and blast away at them when they emerged from the barn.

Sticking with the Clint theme..............

Farm cats gotta eat, same as worms. :)

Being a member of the dove family, I am sure the meat is simular.

dog is good too, did not know it then, but when I was over seas and had some and found out later.. it was the last tome ...  would not say try it cause they are my friends....

Edited by Mike89