• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ants, what do i do?

Hawg

How do you keep ants off your feeders, especially hummingbird and oriole feeders? I've tried Toro and Raid sprays on the post but it seeks the birds don't like that smell either and i don't see many for a while. Has anyone else experienced that? Any good ideas?

Good idea but I have 1 multiple feeder so that’s where the ground birds are. I tried wiping the post down with the repellent but that stunk too. Might need to do two feeders. 

Edited by Hawg

Buy an ant moat. Feeder hangs underneath it. Ants can’t cross the water. While I have never used this, I used to put my cup of grape jelly on a small plate, filled with water. Never had a problem with ants. So, in theory, the moat should work just the same.

Hello!
I am Howar Rivas from Fairfield, CA.
For me one of the best ways to keep ants out of hummingbird feeders is to use an ant moat.

My brother had made a moat for our hummingbird feeder to keep ants out.

• He had cut a water bottle in half, drilled a hole in the bottom just big enough to fit the coated wire that holds the feeder on the hook.
  • Then he had fed the wire through, set the moat on top of the feeder, and then sealed the hole in the water bottle so no water would leak out.

This is the best way to keep the ants out.
Still, if you found some ants then you can use some ant repellent by consulting some professional pest controller. A
pest control in Fairfield or other professionals in your local area will strategize how to deal with them by first identifying what types of ants you may have.

Edited by HowardRivas