• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dry rub Hot Wings. Gooood!!

thats exactly how I do my wings.  thaw, then they go in a steam pot for about 15mins and then let cool and dry. Then apply rub, let sit in fridge over night and then smoke the next day. 

I prefer to have a little crisp to them also and not use any sauce.

3 hours ago, perchking said:

Nice work, any tips on  temp and time?  They look great...

Was a bit rushed for time this morning so I set her up to 240F for about 2hrs and rotated racks half way, which would have cooled it a bit then. I do like my bird a little bit on the crispy and dryer side. These were fresh unfrozen wings.

Edited by leech~~

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

SO......whats in the rub?

The rub was a lot of dash of this and that as I was going through the spice racks. It's kind of fun to do that sometimes but when you come up with a good taste it's hard to remember what the heck you did?  :(

Here's what I remember in dash increments!  Dash=2-3 TBS.

1-Chili powder

1-Onion powder

1-Cumin powder

1-Cayenne pepper

1-Garlic salt

1-Blackening powder-brand?

and 2 other off brand low salt jars of stuff we picked up somewhere up north and I didn't have the names of them right now?

Or they could be the secret Ingredients!  :lol:

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Just wait till you do your first whole chicken or turkey. 

Spatchcock them

Got two chickens in the freezer now and was thinking of the spatchcock idea to get the smoke in the meat better and not cook so long. Great minds think alike! :lol: 

Get your shield up, you know what happens if you agree or give someone a complement around here! :/  :P

15 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Man do those look good leech! Bring some out to Watab next week so I can sample them....

Watab is pretty much a winter destination but if you're heading up by Brainerd. ;)

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Got two chickens in the freezer now and was thinking of the spatchcock idea to get the smoke in the meat better and not cook so long. Great minds think alike! :lol: 

Get your shield up, you know what happens if you agree or give someone a complement around here! :/  :P

Bring it on.:grin:

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Watab is pretty much a winter destination but if you're heading up by Brainerd. ;)

PM your number, I'll give you a call next time we're in the Merrifield area fishing. Do you stay at Cozy Cove?

On 5/19/2017 at 8:33 PM, Tom Sawyer said:

PM your number, I'll give you a call next time we're in the Merrifield area fishing. Do you stay at Cozy Cove?

No we have a seasonal camper at WildWoods at the other end of the lake. But, I'm pretty sure those wings an't going to be around to long!  LoL. :P