• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Christmas Dinner/supper/breakfast

Boar

So has everyone figure out their main menu yet, the wife is doing a turkey again, but im taking care of the breakfast, I love making south of the boarder breakfast burritos, pretty much a breakfast burrito with taco eat and salsa added. yummmmmm.

our family has always had our main Christmas celebration on Dec 24 eve.  We gather at 2-3pm or so and have some beverages and an awesome horsduevers time; escargot, shrimp, herring, dips and bread items all sorts of stuff.  It was born from the fact that many new spouses didn't like the main meal of Potato Sausage.  I'm not saying potato sausage is a delicacy but it's just hash but these news spouses all made it like it was lutefisk.  Nonetheless the huge appetizer tradation was created 25 years ago and it's pretty awesome.

We celebrate at cabin so if the weather is nice we usually walk down the 1/2 mile driveway after.  Awesome walk, the road winds through the woods the whole way.  Around 730 pm we gather at the big dining room table that is used 1-2 a year and have all my grandmas wooden candle holders and all the decorations and have potato sausage.  After that we open gifts.

Christmas Day Deb and I host at our house and we switch around what we have.  Prime Rib, Turkey, Italian Day have been some past themes.  We will see what we decide on soon.

Merry Christmas, I'm starting to get in the mood.  I noticed last night I hadn't got the spirit yet which is late for me.  I'm going to get her going today, reason for the season.

When we were kids we celebrated on the 24th as well.  Big dinner with dumplings, German kraut, and usually a pot roast.  Then open gifts.  Kept that tradition while I raised my girls.  Now that my daughters have been married and a few years past by, the 24th is still celebrated, but the opening of gifts and the main meal is on Christmas day.  Christmas Eve this year we are also having Swedish Sausage [or potato sausage] with fried potato's for a side.  Simple but good.

Christmas Day I'm doing a 11 pound prime rib.  I do not know yet on the sides.  More than likely homemade potato dumplings, German kraut,  and great gravy which is a must.  Pies and other treats as well.  I'll try to take some pics of the day.  Love your tradition Kris!!!  That walk down the driveway would be great any time of the year.  good luck.

ba humbug.........cant wait till dec 26th! we usually go to my moms Christmas eve, when the wife and I do Christmas with the kids we usually charcoal grill a season rolled pork loin, hobo potatoes wild rice and some sort of veggie.

I really don't like Christmas.:cry::sick:

what?  I just talked to my wife and told her I realized last night I was making sausage for Christmas, lights on tree, Christmas music was on and I wasn't in the spirit yet and I was going to get in it ASAP.  

I guess I will be jealous of you when I wake up Dec 26th and am kind of blue it's over.  I'm still mad I don't have any kids to taunt when I eat really slow to prolong dinner and make gift opening take place later than they want...it's a tradition shared by many dads!

My family will celebrate Christmas on the Eve as the place gets pretty full with kids and grand kids. Usually during the day friends stop by and we exchange gifts with them and the wife will have been baking for several days. Fudge, cookies, candies, banana nut bread, carrot cake, pumpkin bread. Supper that night will be ham with all the fixings, garden corn, garden onions, garden potatoes, of course Apple pie and my neighbor Chuck will have donated some cider. Christmas morning is omelets and home made hash browns.

The big meal is at the mother in laws Christmas afternoon. The mother in law has over fifty grand kids and great great kids and you toss in all the parents it makes for one full house. Not everyone can make it but a typical Christmas dinner will be 50-60 people. The kitchen is turned into a serving area only and a big round table lets you slide in and walk the table before exiting. A couple of turkeys both traditional and deep fried along with more ham. Fresh baked rolls, pepper plates, fruit bowls, five or six different kinds of home made pickles. Mashed tatters and my wife’s secret gravy. Crock pots with dressing and vegetables. Dinning room is for adults and infants, living room for the kids parents and the basement for all the kids. The mother in-law does not drink so there is a few bottles kept in the snow outside the back door for those who want to sneak a drink of holiday cheer. And of course the pies and cheesecake and everyone brings cookies or bars or their once a year home made candy. The mother in law makes it a point to buy every single person a gift, and when the meal is done the presents are opened. In the end it is one full house with a lot of dirty dishes, a mountain of torn wrapping paper and some where in there the mother in law's cat.

Edited by Bobby Bass

I'm still mad I don't have any kids to taunt when I eat really slow to prolong dinner and make gift opening take place later than they want...it's a tradition shared by many dads!

leechlake, I'm I missing something or are the two kids in your Avatar not yours? :confused:

they are my kids and unfortunately for both of them you wouldn't even need a blood test to prove it.  My son has looked exactly like me from 2 years old until today 17 years old.  

I should have said little kids.  Mine are 15 and 17 now and the taunting isn't that effective as it used to be.  Fixed my avatar to reflect the good looks of my kids :)

Edited by leechlake

Leechlake, I second the woods walk! - that's becoming a post-meal tradition in our family.  My Mom and Dad are out in the country - nothing gives you the second wind after the huge meal than bundling-up and taking a casual stroll down their driveway.  I usually venture into the woods on a deer trail for a while.  I still have cameras out so I'll probably grab the chips out of them while I'm out there and see what made it through the season.

As far as the meal, my mom always makes a rib or sirloin roast with mushrooms, etc. Always good sides and plenty of apps - PICKLED HERRING IS A MUST! we're really not even hungry when the meal comes around.  But the brisk, cold air of the walk helps the second wind, and usually we're ready for more cocktails when we get back.

they are my kids and unfortunately for both of them you wouldn't even need a blood test to prove it.  My son has looked exactly like me from 2 years old until today 17 years old.  

I should have said little kids.  Mine are 15 and 17 now and the taunting isn't that effective as it used to be.

Mine are both grown and out of the house so things do change with age. :(

I'm just glad you didn't photo shop them on to your Avatar for the Holidays! :)

I see that you just updated the family pic. I thought that you said that you only had two kids? It looks like you have two daughters there.

Edited by leech~~

my wife is 50 and two years older than me.  That's not her best photo which irritates me.  I think she gets better looking as she gets older just to bother me.  We have  king sized bed and for Christmas I may put a high fence between us since symbolically there's already one in place.  I have a 48 pound black lab that's right next to me on my side of the fence though.  Take what you can get.

Back to Christmas food...ha!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

boy how do i marry into some of your guys' families. i parralel smurf. I try to keep.an upbeat attitude and stay close to the tru meaning of xmas, but its really hard sometimes, with my family is split my wifes family is messed up, my mom is a guilt  trip laden manipulating bitter person that my wife and older daughter dont get along with, my brother.lives in nebraska, not coming. im in the middle trying to negotiate between everyone my father is married to  a phyco. i always muddle thru and try to.stay close to meaning of it all, but just cant wait till it done. its mentelly exhausting and hurtfull. but it is what it is. looking forward to my daugter coming home and our gathering. itll work out. meryy christmas.:crazy:

I'm not smart enough to use the right words but dumb enough to try.  Frankly, if you watch Linus in a Charlie Brown Christmas he will say it better.

Over 2000 years ago the gift of Christmas was born to help people through life and let's admit it we need more help when dump is going on.   Celebrate that gift that will help you through Christmas and provide for you the rest of the year.  Sit back and watch the mess with a smile on your face, you may just witness a Christmas miracle, even a small one counts!

one of these years im gona celebrate xmas in the fish house on red lake with fresh walleye for supper. and watching the beutiful sunset and sunrise know only our creator can make such thing. i hear ya LL, some years are tougher than others, but he dont gi e me more than i can handle.maye i smoke another bear roast over xmas:cool:

well at least you guys have us here to support you the rest of the year!!!  :) 

Boar- maybe bears do their "hibernate" thing for the same reason?  I envision a black bear laying on a couch talking to a Polar Bear therapist telling him how screwed up things are.  Grizzy Bear walks into the room and suggests hibernating.  Problem solved!

my dad always made pancakes and bacon.  My nephew and his gf have volunteered to take the task on for now on.  Apparantly she volunteered for them so I'm guessing she's pushing for a proposal in the near future. She's a keeper so that's cool.

Thielens bacon and pancakes, plain and blueberry with warm home made syrup.

Christmas Eve is always up in Two Harbors. We go to the 4:00 church service and then back to my brother in laws house. There is always a big table full of apps of every sort. Weenie's wrapped in bacon and coated with brown sugar, wings, cheese with rotelle, taco dip, cold shrimp and all sorts of bars and cookies. Then its time to open gifts. Christmas day is pretty slow and the wife has to work this year so the plan is for me to make a rib roast for dinner. Picked up a 5lb for the 2 of use :lol:

We've always over the years hit two places on the eve and Xmas day especially when the kids were young. Food galore no matter which stop, arguing when it's time to leave one house or the other. 

Nowadays with families getting bigger our Xmas is now 4 days instead of squeezing it into 2, sure puts a damper on pheasant hunting but I spose to keep the peace I'll roll with it I guess. 

Food, it's never ending it seems,  from all the finger foods to hams and cheesy taters at one house to Swedish meatballs, potato sausage and lefse at the next with cookies to boot, we all will eat way too much....:lol: 

Merry Christmas all!!!