• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Christmas Dinner/supper/breakfast

Boar

Christmas Eve is always up in Two Harbors. We go to the 4:00 church service and then back to my brother in laws house. There is always a big table full of apps of every sort. Weenie's wrapped in bacon and coated with brown sugar, wings, cheese with rotelle, taco dip, cold shrimp and all sorts of bars and cookies. Then its time to open gifts. Christmas day is pretty slow and the wife has to work this year so the plan is for me to make a rib roast for dinner. Picked up a 5lb for the 2 of use :lol:

Funny, ya know wer to dang techy, There seems to be a whole lot of apps being downloaded this christsmas, get it APPITISERS------DownLOADED... get it...apps..... downloaded.. HA, Im funny... 

Funny, ya know wer to dang techy, There seems to be a whole lot of apps being downloaded this christsmas, get it APPITISERS------DownLOADED... get it...apps..... downloaded.. HA, Im funny... 

Funny you should say :D

I was going to put BIL for brother in law and I thought don't be so lazy and spell it out. Never gave a second thought about apps.

Now that we look out our window and see Canada and my Mom and Dad moved from the Ottertail Lake house back to our home town which is 15 miles from Iowa, we are spending Christmas alone.  We are ok with it but miss the family thing.  We might see if my brother and his wife are going to be home and do an overnighter with them at Ottertail.  Otherwise we have been having about a 4 lb prime rib on Christmas and then we cook some lobsters on New Years.  We might buy some of those huge prawns this year for a change.  AND yes pickled herring is a must.  We enjoy each others company and love being at home so we will have a good time regardless.  Our yellow lab Sammy and our big orange cat Bob are our family and make us happy.  The traditional ice fishing time in our fish house is questionable this year with open water along our shoreline.  I enjoy the time with you guys and will check in to see what you are all up to. Merry Christmas to all of you, my friends.  From Barry and Carla.   

The in law invasion happens on Christmas eve this year at our house.  I enjoy hosting since I do a majority of the cooking and my kitchen is set up for me.  I used to crank out lasagna, hams, breakfasts lunches and dinners, and would be upset because no one had room to eat meals due to the constant grazing.  SO, the last two years there has been no meals prepared for "The Gathering" only appetizers and beverages.  My wife has finally gotten more forceful with her sisters about bringing stuff and it has helped out immensely.  This year, I will be serving cold smoke venison ring bologna, various smoked cheeses and a couple rounds of smoked chicken legs.  Once again, I fully anticipate that no one will thank me or Nikki for the work and time we put into their "Gathering", especially from the mother in law.  15 years of hosting and I have never heard the words thank you, and I don't expect to either

The no meal plan is very solid.  Appetizers are awesome.  If you're like me, at this point, someone saying thank you would ruin the streak.  Here's hoping to no thank you's.  Eventually some niece or nephew will bring the soon to be spouse and the thank you from the newcomer will be like music to your ears.

I hear a spattering of thank you's at times.  I think when you do the cooking nearly all the time, they get used to your effort without once in awhile a simple thanks.  Honestly it really doesn't bother me because I love to cook, but I do have one pet peeve.  When the food is ready to eat and good and hot, I want the folks to grab the plates and eat.  Appetizers are part of the deal but they do hinder the hunger pangs.  Same with beverages.  Something to contend with but it's part of the whole deal.  When I get invited over for a dinner I make it a point to let the cook know that it is appreciated.  I know the effort and prep work involved including the cleaning up after.    Maybe being that it is mostly family on Christmas the thank you's dont come as often as they come from friends or folks you have just met for the first time.  Another habit I have is that I eat last  [ but do sample during the cooking time].  good luck.

The no meal plan is very solid.  Appetizers are awesome.  If you're like me, at this point, someone saying thank you would ruin the streak.  Here's hoping to no thank you's.  Eventually some niece or nephew will bring the soon to be spouse and the thank you from the newcomer will be like music to your ears.

thank you leechlake for putting on a nice Christmas spread!!!!!!!!!!:P:D

I get thank yous, my point was I prefer to wallow in the misery on things more than getting my wishes, so I understand.  It's my only flaw I have!

But thank you for trying to ruin my streak.  I assume that you, like me, are the youngest male sibling in a family?  It's our job to be little brothers for life and bug people.  Also, thank you for not mentioning welding in your post.  That ends your streak at 624 posts with the word "welding" in it :)

I get thank yous, my point was I prefer to wallow in the misery on things more than getting my wishes, so I understand.  It's my only flaw I have!

But thank you for trying to ruin my streak.  I assume that you, like me, are the youngest male sibling in a family?  It's our job to be little brothers for life and bug people.  Also, thank you for not mentioning welding in your post.  That ends your streak at 624 posts with the word "welding" in it :)

Thank you for not mentioning that flag again.:grin: what bugs the heck outa me, is if my wife cooks the big meal, She's all.."I cooked you clean" talk... cause when I cook she certainly dont clean. i get lost of thank yous when I cook and give the TY's when someone else cooks. but dont get help to clean up that she expects from others

Thank you for not mentioning that flag again.:grin: what bugs the heck outa me, is if my wife cooks the big meal, She's all.."I cooked you clean" talk... cause when I cook she certainly dont clean. i get lost of thank yous when I cook and give the TY's when someone else cooks. but dont get help to clean up that she expects from others

well stand up for yourself.....quit saying yes dear, anything you say dear!!!!!!!! put your man pants on sissy boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:P:D

well stand up for yourself.....quit saying yes dear, anything you say dear!!!!!!!! put your man pants on sissy boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:P:D

easy for you when you walk around with that welder's mask on all the time.  Boar and I have no shot with the wives.  It's crazy that some 2 foot person can run your life.  I've got some Napolean/Hitler character at my house that took my man pants years ago.  I've been worn into submission and thought it would never happen.

I think it's why I hunt and fish so much.  I'm the prey at home and get to be the predator in the woods or on the water.  I may start flying that flag pretty soon :)

Leech, you nailed it, I am the youngest in my family, BUT I am the longest son in law on my wife's side of the family.  It would absolutely ruin it for me if I was thanked, the streak is what it is and I would feel it would be a back handed comment if it was said.  The No Meal part has actually kept me sane the past few years.  The last christmas meal I made was a big one, no one ate it because they had grazed all day on apps.  My other brother in laws got really nice gifts from the parent in laws (we married into a family with 4 sisters and no brothers), I received nothing...  When my wife asked me what I had gotten from her folks the next day, I said nothing, she didn't believe me so she asked her sisters what their husbands got and then confronted me again about it, I said I got nothing.  When she asked her mother about it, her mother said she couldn't think of anything for me so she didn't get me anything.  My father in law was livid and apologized for it, but she never did

that stinks.  On a lighter note, my wife's parents spoil everyone and theres about 12 people they buy for.  We take turns opening gifts and one year it seemed like everyone was opening gift after gift that were unbelievably nice things, except my wife.  Somone would get a leather jacket and she'd open a gift and it was a hot pad holder.  It went on and on and finally she opened up a stanless steel paper towel holder.  Maybe Reb can pull one up and post it but it looked more like a really big and complicated "bedroom" device than a kitchen item.  Her and I started laughing and then her mom caught on and it was hilarious.  Eventually she hit the jackpot, I'm sure, but we only remember the paper towel holder.

I still think you get to have that bitter feeling which is worth something.  Martyrdom is very popular these days :)

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

easy for you when you walk around with that welder's mask on all the time.  Boar and I have no shot with the wives.  It's crazy that some 2 foot person can run your life.  I've got some Napolean/Hitler character at my house that took my man pants years ago.  I've been worn into submission and thought it would never happen.

I think it's why I hunt and fish so much.  I'm the prey at home and get to be the predator in the woods or on the water.  I may start flying that flag pretty soon :)

did you ever think for one minute SHE lets you hunt and fish so much cause she WANTS you outta da house????:confused::confused: maybe take welding up as a hobby o!!!!:P

you mean the 8 times I went to cabin for the weekend and stayed 1-8 days longer than expected?  Yes but in a fair world I wouldn't also get yelled at for being gone either.  Win/win for her.

Also, I would like to know how to weld.  I have JB Weld down to a science.  I always feel like a mad chemist doing it!

Christmas eve is at my Mom's house and Christmas day is with my wife's family. We are not responsible for too much food at either of those places but on the 23rd we invite friends over for a Festivus party. I have a Festivus pole and everything! We will be serving appetizers, hot wings, bbq weenies, dips, chips, etc. We also have had the ritual of eating homemade coffee cake and bacon on Christmas morning ever since we've been married.

festivus problems.jpg

Wow the minds you guy's have.  That paper towel holder looks very nice, but the structure on the left side of the main post does look like it's photo shopped to look like a bedroom device.  good luck.

I guess that's why we were laughing.  Practically speaking, as a paper towel holder, that thing keeps the perfect amount of pressure on the paper towel so it doesn't spin off too fast or "backlash" to use a fishing term.  It's the real deal, no photoshop skills here.  That's about all I can say without saying too much.  I'm just happy I didn't get that and the flag on the same holiday!  Frankly, I'm not looking but I've completely forgot what this "post" was even about.  I need to go to the cabin...