• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog uses my yard

Schubie

Do any of you have some helpful hints at keeping a dog from using my yard as his dumping ground? This last month or so we have a dog dropping his dropping and scuffing up the grass. Usually two times a day and I can't catch him or her. Small. Breed I assume. I don't want to harm it. I am in small town with out an animal control but I would not know when to call them anyway.

Thanks for any ideas.

Schubie

Talk to the neighbor's to see who's dog it is and approach the owner nicely.

If that does not work and you know who the owner is, scoop the [PoorWordUsage], then dump it on their front steps, they will get the message. Doesn't work the first time, just keep dumping it on the front steps, sooner or later, they will get the message, worked for me years ago.

Thanks guys. I like the motion activated sprinkler idea. I am more than willing to talk nicely to the owner to start and more than willing to share the wealth if it doesn't turn out well. I have talked to neighbors and they don't know either. Guessing it is happening while we are at work.

I have owned many dogs and always picked up our dumps. Hate picking up other peoples. I think it is a habit right now and odd it just started a month or so ago.

Time to find a sprinkler before it freezes.

Schubie.

"A picture is worth a thousand words".

I think a motion activated trail camera, get several pictures of the dog actually dumping on your lawn, showing them to the owner would be a lot less abrasive than dumping poo on his step.

My guess is that its someone that just kicks their dog, likely a male, out the door to do their duties, and he's decided to use your lawn, and mark territory at the same time. It could live blocks away but at least you have a picture to help you in your search. Watch closely on the weekends, the person doing it will probably stay on the same schedule.

Good luck!

Del I'm not sure if it is loose or walked. My guess is it is on a schedule and my yard is now the "spot" whether walked or loose.

Hoping to catch it in the act. I don't have a trail cam.

All my close neighbors are aware. And watching for me as well.

Hoping to rid the yard of this smell for its drop or divert it somewhere else.

Had a sign up for a while with the [PoorWordUsage] under it on a paper plate. That did not get any attention. Or divert anything.

Del I'm not sure if it is loose or walked. My guess is it is on a schedule and my yard is now the "spot" whether walked or loose.

Hoping to catch it in the act. I don't have a trail cam.

All my close neighbors are aware. And watching for me as well.

Hoping to rid the yard of this smell for its drop or divert it somewhere else.

Had a sign up for a while with the [PoorWordUsage] under it on a paper plate. That did not get any attention. Or divert anything.

Poisoning the dog seems like a bad, possibly criminal, idea.

Depending on how much you want to spend and how often it happens, you could buy an inexpensive trail camera or a security camera that connects to network or a dvr. They are all relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps you could borrow a trail camera from someone after deer season.

Once you know what time it happens you would be in a position to catch the perp "in the act" or "red handed".

I truly won't harm/kill a dog. I would love to deter it ASAP.

I love the sprinkler idea. May need to get a camera.

Had a person tell me tonight to use a few mouse traps. ???? Might work.

If I can find the owner I won't mind picking it up if they do not comply cause they will get it back.

Thanks guys

Here is what I'd do.

Figure out who the owners are. If you can catch the dog hopefully it has tags otherwise you might need to follow it home.

Talk to the owners and let them know what is going on and that you and the other neighbors aren't happy about it. Let them know that if it continues to happen everyone in the neighborhood has agreed to capture the dog and turn it over to a humane society and they can collect the dog from them.

Make sure they know that its not just you that's upset. If they think its just one person they might chalk it up to one annoyed guy down the street and opt to ignore you. If they think the whole neighborhood is upset they might rethink their dog ownership habits.

The dog has to be a neighbor's who lives close by. Track it down and go see the owner. Without knowing where the dog lives what are you going to do with the dog if you catch it unless its tagged?

Got to see the dog in the act to know which dog it is. Here is another solution. I was just at harbor freight today in beautiful North Rochester, and they have a security camera that will plug into a vcr for like 25 dollars. A VHS tape will record for like 8 hours. I bet you have or know someone who has an old VCR laying around.

Once you have the dog and maybe the owner on tape, the rest is up to you. It will help with the "it's not my dog..." stuff.

Thanks a lot guys. I will not harm the dog or cat as stated.

I have a security cam that records coming. I will then chat with the owner.

I was hoping for an easy spray or something for a deterant. But my yard is def the dumping ground.

Either a small dog or large cat. My neighbor has seen a large cat around at night. But has not seen the deed happen. The yard is getting tore to heck so leaning the cat issue at this point but I don't rally know.

I have a security cam on now but it does not record. So going to the recorder next.

It has three drops per day. Getting old.

I will report when I get a pic and hopefully find an owner.

We do have a leash law but I don't want to bother police unless I can't get help,from owner when if I find one.

Again thanks guys.

Schubie