• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappy DNR Stickers?

radke22

I had 1 sticker fall off last year, my Dad had both fall off and now my brother in law had one fall off while on the Mississippi. Anyone else having issues with the newer DNR year stickers not staying on your boat? My boat is not on a lift, so I have no other explanation other than crappy/cheap DNR stickers? Thoughts?

Yeah those things don't last too long. You can order replacements for a couple of bucks, I'd try to do it by phone instead of waiting in line and the DMV. They have to mail out ones that are not what they currently have in their printer anyway.

Also remove the old decal with adhesive remover, then clean the area with alcohol wipes. It bugs the dump out of me when I see a $40k boat with stickers on top of stickers, crooked, not trimmed. peeling off etc.

I actually once saw a boat with Iowa stickers and MN stickers, the Iowa stickers had black electrical tape crossing them out. HA!

I had 1 sticker fall off last year, my Dad had both fall off and now my brother in law had one fall off while on the Mississippi. Anyone else having issues with the newer DNR year stickers not staying on your boat? My boat is not on a lift, so I have no other explanation other than crappy/cheap DNR stickers? Thoughts?

Yes! The laminate came off off mine. Leaving just the green on my boat.

Got harassed by a short Power Hungry Warden at Lake City about it. Not worth the hassle order duplicates. Had them in a week.

I have that happen to my sleds, where the clear portion or the whole thing starts peeling off. I put them on clean and in warm weather. Boat has come off before too. I agree they are carp material.

I had my boat reg stickers do that also (blue sticker) and all I did was stick some clear packing tape over it and it was fine for the last year and half...I just pulled the tape off this week and will be applying the new red ones.

They just use the most inexpensive vinyl, because they know they can and they know we will pay the $5 for the replacents. $5 per side isnt much, but when they fail for people as much as they do its money in the bank. I have had them fail a few times on sleds and my boat. The state uses a much better mil reflective vinyl for vehicle tabs, you dont see them falling off or delaminating...ever.

I am so glad someone brought this up. I have had this problem forever. the best I can do is clean the spot off as best as possible, stick them on, and put clear tape over it. They are junk. I think JosMN is right, it has to be for money. they can make tabs for license plates that are nearly indestructible, but these boat tags fall off on their own. Snowmobiles are even worst because who buys snowmobile tags in the summer? They will not stick even a little bit when its cold. I'm always out there with a heat gun trying my best to get them on. I have never had them last. On my boat I use a razor knife to get the old one off, sand it a bit, clean it with the harshest chemical I have (I have an aluminum boat and don't care about the paint), and then I carefully put the sticker on as best I can. Even then they won't last the 3 years without clear tape to hold it together. On my dirtbike (which sees some serously rough stuff) never has a problem. It changes where you put them, but last time I stuck them on the forks. They are still on there.

A few years ago when I asked the DNR about the poor quality stickers they told me the boat sticker is made from the same type of stock as your fishing license or fish house license. It can be printed at the store by their thermal printers. The license plate tabs are a much heavier stock and need to be comercially printed.

I really wish they would bring back to old stickers that were shaped like the state of MN!

So if its too much to ask that they simply use another material that will last the 3 years they are good for, can we at least have it stick without babying it? It takes me like 15 minutes to put boat stickers on. I just pop the tabs on my car in 5 seconds. Most of the time I just put the new tabs over the old. Cant do that with the boat. This is one of the few things I would be willing to pay a little more for, if they will work.

Then why wouldn't they just add the extra dollar or so and make them out of the same stuff car tabs are?

On the other side, they may have been getting complaints from users about not getting the old ones off their nice boats and went to a more removable adhesive?

I've been putting the tabs on my vehicles plates for years, cold, dirty, etc. I usually rub my thumb on the plate to get the grime off and they have never come off. They are impervious to me being a lazy sticker applier.

The ones issued by DNR aren't the same quality for sure. They have a tendency to peel and or fall off unless you have the item in a temperature controlled environment and if you don't follow protocol your asking for trouble.

Sounds like the same thing as I notice Leechlake. Car tabs stick to anything for pretty much forever. Boat tabs, not so much. I just want to add that my last boat tabs even had the layers separating. The clear front was curling, and the rest was falling apart. So far these 2016 stickers are holding up, but it hasn't even been a month.

Never had an issue with 1 of them yet in all the years I have purchased them for my boat. nect year, dues for another as mine expires. Masybe I am just lucky.

I wipe the old one down well with window cleaner and put the new one over the expired one, works for me.

Well my NEW one peeled off on the way up north. Noticed it in time to keep it from being lost. The green part is still on the boat. Boat is kept in garage. I WILL NOT buy anymore!! I going to keep the clear with me. I feel I should not have to spend $51 then $5 every time I take it out!