• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EZ load trailer

MN Shutterbug

Are these trailers really any easier to load than others? I used to have a 15 footer with a bunk trailer and just loved it. Now I'm considering a 16 ft. with an EZ load trailer. I don't see how anything can be as easy as a bunk trailer. The problem most people that I've been with that have roller trailers is they usually have a tough time getting the boat centered on the trailer.

I have one. Its a roller trailer just like any other. Getting your boat centered on them is usually user error. They either have the trailer to far out or too far in the water. I'm by no means and expert at it, cause mine gets a little centered from time to time. I like mine though, quick load and unload. Just don't unhook your winch strap till your boat and trailer are in the water! Have seen a couple come off roller trailers onto the pavement because they unhooked it like you would a bunk.

All we've ever had is a roller trailer & when we do it right there's no more than 5' to winch it up.I have to agree with Jos about most of the problems come from user error,generally to far in the water.Getting the side bogeys at just the right height helps some too.How steep the ramp is & how high the water level can fool a person also.

Bunk trailers are prehistoric.

Prehistoric? smile I really liked mine. I could run it right up and never have to crank more than 1 foot and sometimes less than 6 inches. Some of these guys crank and crank and crank to get their boat on a roller trailer. And then, they pull it out and see it's way off center and have to back down into the water and start all over. Maybe it's just the dudes I've fished with. They might be the issue. whistle

Every trailer is gonna be a bit different but the trick is to find the "sweet spot" for your trailer for my trailer about an inch before my fenders submerge is about where I can troll my boat to about a foot from the winch ,,,,Find an landing that isnt busy and take note of where the boat starts to float off the trailer then pull forward a bit and see how your boat sits on the trailer with a little practice and a mental note of where your trailer needs to be in the water will make launching and landing so much quicker and easier

I've had EZ Load trailers and they're as good as any other roller trailer. The trick is not to back them too far into the water to load your boat.

All the bad talk about bunk trailers is dump though. I had roller trailers for 30 years before I saw the light. I'll never go back to a roller trailer after having a bunk for the past three years.

Why do you guys have to winch your boats? I run my boat right up to where it's supposed to be with never any winching involved (I did that with every roller I ever owned too). Another nice thing about bunks is that you never have to worry about them rolling off the trailer in the parking lot, not to mention that bunks are easier on the bottom of my boat. Ever seen a boat laying on the boat ramp? Bet that guy had a roller trailer.

Bunk trailers prehistoric? Some people just don't understand history.

I have a roller trailer, and launch and retrieve in water that is too shallow for bunks. Bunks are great if the ramp goes deep enough, but if you launch at primitive ramps like the one in my yard (I better not catch you at that one) a roller trailer works better.

That is probably why roller trailers are more popular in the north. That and the fact that bunks are recommended for glass boats.

I've had 4 roller trailers and I can tell you that if the loading area is not level it can be a beach. I have a pole to center the boat on the trailer if things get tough but I have seen bunk trailers that couldn't be unloaded because they couldn't back in far enough to float the boat.

My trailer is a combo of both, it has bunks that can fold out of the way when loading and unloading. It has big wide rollers down the middle that the boat sits on when the bunks are down. Load up the boat and flip the bunks back in place and it rides on them when towing. No clue who made the trailer but it's the best of both worlds

I have a roller trailer and I power load. maybe winch 2ft max. No issue with centering it unless I do not get the trailer at the correct depth and that does not happen very often.

I believe I could not load a trailer any easier. On mine, I make sure my fenders are approx 8 inches or so above the water line and it almost loads itself.

My trailer is a combo of both, it has bunks that can fold out of the way when loading and unloading. It has big wide rollers down the middle that the boat sits on when the bunks are down. Load up the boat and flip the bunks back in place and it rides on them when towing. No clue who made the trailer but it's the best of both worlds

Ranger offers something like this on their trailers, it's called the shallow water launch kit. But I believe it's a bunk trailer with rollers that move in and out on. I've never heard of another manufacturer offering one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe yours is custom, you should post pics.

I believe I could not load a trailer any easier. On mine, I make sure my fenders are approx 8 inches or so above the water line and it almost loads itself.

I have a similar process except I go by the rear rollers. On mine, the second rollers, from the back, are half submerged. Steep landing they are submerged close to the top of the rollers.

Shallow ramps like Spring Lake (Scott Co) I have to back the rear tires of the truck into the lake. So far in that the drivers door is over water then I winch it up. crazy

I've used an EZ load trailer for years. I fought with it for some time trying to center the boat. What I learned is...backing the trailer in too far / too deep is bad, it will not work. I also find that if I coast my boat onto the trailer in neutral, until it centers itself, that is the ticket, then you can throttle it up farther. All said, I will get bunks for my next boat.

I guess if I end up with a roller trailer it's just something I need to get used to. I talked to someone yesterday that said whenever he gets his centered, he considers it luck. But then, I don't consider him that bright. whistle

I've used EZ-loader trailers since about 1993 and have been very happy with them. I back my trailer in until the rear rollers are just under the surface. I put the bow between the rollers, connect the winch line, and start cranking it on. If the wind is pushing it sideways I just take a little more time as the line tightens to allow it to straighten the boat and once straight, I just crank it on. The rollers will center the boat as it is pulled onto the trailer.

NOTE: if you submerge the trailer too deep, you will struggle to keep the boat aligned because it will be floating above the rollers. Too shallow and you'll have to work harder to winch it on.