• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs

mwal

Wow, (10) pike in a limit with only (1) over 30"...

I didn't spear 10 fish a year this past season...

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ya the 10 fish limit is 2 more then I brought home all of last season.

wonderfull now the DNR wants to eliminate the northerns as fast as possible...10 fish a day.. come on ..I love to spear but do it conservatively...I would love to spear mille lacs indefinately rather than have to shut it down in a couple years because they got overharvested..some groups of people can not be conservative sportsmen..

wonderfull now the DNR wants to eliminate the northerns as fast as possible...10 fish a day.. come on ..I love to spear but do it conservatively...I would love to spear mille lacs indefinately rather than have to shut it down in a couple years because they got overharvested..some groups of people can not be conservative sportsmen..

They made the changes to bring the pike population down. They want it done quickly.

some groups of people can not be conservative sportsmen..

Would that be anglers, darkhouse spearers or both?

Because the limit set by the DNR applies to both....

Maybe it is the northern pike enthusiasts that you are referencing????

Why is it anyway that some people think that once you practice a certain method you suddenly loose your ability to be a conservative sportsman? Same reason people believe that guns kill people; and people don't kill people I guess????

Just because someone catches and kills wild fish and game does not mean they are not conservation minded.

Quote:
some groups of people can not be conservative sportsmen..

A conservative sportsman would not even fish the lake if they were to see it in trouble..

The limit maybe 10 but those ten are all under 30 inches you me hard pressed to see a fish that fits that bill on those waters.

Take your trolling else where please we don't need it in the spearing forum

You are 100% right mrklean,and this forum has been awesome since around Oct when Shawn and a few of the other guy's stopped posting in here. Actually I think their is really only one that comes in here to stirr the pot any more.

With that I hope we can continue to just ignore the people that will come in here to troll or stirr the pot. This forum has become one of the best on here and on the other web based sites because us as a group refuse to take their bait and stick to the facts.

Have fun guys and I can't wait to see you on the big pond this coming winter.

...The limit maybe 10 but those ten are all under 30 inches you me hard pressed to see a fish that fits that bill on those waters.

You made me check out the DNR's lake finder data for Mille Lacs. Looks like all sizes of pike are represented. Normally IMO the big ones are under represented, and seeing as there are a fair share on the data sheet, I'm thinking there are actually more than a fair share of big ones in the lake. Combine that with a lack of forage and the big ones are probably biting so good it is making it seem like they are the only fish in the lake.

With that I hope we can continue to just ignore the people that will come in here to troll or stirr the pot. This forum has become one of the best on here and on the other web based sites because us as a group refuse to take their bait and stick to the facts.

Excellent post. Good bunch of guys and gals here that are not into drama.

Not trying to upset anyone or stir the pot so to speak, just trying to understand as I'm not a spearing guy, just a bowfishing guy! but I thought the reason you couldn't spear on mille lacs in the past is because there is a protected slot, you obviously can't measure them before throwing a spear. There is still a protected slot, so why is spearing allowed?? Do they expect you guys to use judgement and not throwing at "bigger" fish? Or once you get one over 30" are you done? Again, just curious. I fish the lake for walleye in the winter so have been following the discussions pretty closely

There wasn't spearing allowed because there are muskies in the lake. That mentality is changing in Minnesota, due to dirty politicians being paid off by the MDHAA. And spearer's can not do a slot check, even though they will tell that they can. So the slot is meaningless for spearer's. Millacs is now a dead lake, so whatever. Its just a shame that a number of the Muskies that people worked so hard for to get to trophy size will now be chucked. Oh well, such is life in MN.

Last post on your forum. Sorry. Carry on.