• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Phillip Nelson leaving Gophers

Scott M

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the charges stick and this goes to trial, what will be Nelson's defense? Yes I kicked the man in the head, but he already had a cracked skull and was unconscious before I assaulted him, so I can't be blamed for the injury. crazy

If the charges stick and this goes to trial, what will be Nelson's defense? Yes I kicked the man in the head, but he already had a cracked skull and was unconscious before I assaulted him, so I can't be blamed for the injury. crazy

It sure will they will push hard that his head hitting the pavement did most of the damage and he wasn't the one who tossed the first punch, at least to get the 1st degree charges dropped, and get a minimum sentence for 3rd degree charges since he is a "first time" offender.

Saying he already had a fractured skull isn't much of a defense. Kicking someone in the head is bad but kicking someone in the head who already has a head injury is worse. It's the worst thing you can do for someone with a head injury, steel toed shoe or not it just causes more trauma.

Phillip Nelson needs to go to jail for a long time. Kicking a motionless person in the head is beyond comprehension, regardless of rage or intoxication. He didn't even have the stones to tell the truth until the cops told him that it was all on surveillance video. He's a piece of garbage.

Rosenbaum on kfan spelled it out pretty clearly how they're most likely going to go with self defense. On podcast from yesterday afternoon if you haven't heard it.

It's probably the only defense they can use , but would a jury buy it?

Not sure kicking a defenseless person in the head is self defense.

Not to me it isn't, but I'm not sure what else they could use.

I suppose Shelly's defense might be that he was protecting Nelson after he was hit. His defense might then turn on Nelson for going to far.

The police statement said that the entire episode only took around 5 seconds or so once Kolstad delivered his hit to Nelson. It also stated that Kolstads friend and Nelsons girlfriend were between Nelson and Kolstad...after Kolstad got whacked. People were also around Kolstad on the ground. Sooo...

It is entirely possible that Nelson had no clue what state Kolstad was in when he kicked him. It was a pretty "bang-bang" event as they described it.

This would play into the self-defense theory as I heard Rosenbaum explain it earlier in the week also.

I heard he had a second surgery earlier this week to relieve pressure that had built up on his brain and that it apparently went well. That was Tuesday, I think.

Haven't heard anything since.

It is entirely possible that Nelson had no clue what state Kolstad was in when he kicked him. It was a pretty "bang-bang" event as they described it.

Maybe the state Nelson was in caused him to have no clue to the state Kolstad was in. Seems like he was too drunk to remember the kick to the head,if you believe his statement to police. We will see if his memory is restored if needed to defend himself.

I heard he had a second surgery earlier this week to relieve pressure that had built up on his brain and that it apparently went well. That was Tuesday, I think.

Haven't heard anything since.

Doctors have said Kolstad has permanent damage and life will be challenging "IF" he recovers.

Any update on how kolstad is doing?

I live in Mankato and get news feeds thru my phone from them:

From KEYC News: Mankato

Isaac Kolstad continues to remain in critical condition, according to a family statement today.

The statement says Isaac continues to be in a medically-induced coma, utilizing life support to keep him breathing.

The statement also says even though surgery was successful, the swelling in Isaac's brain remains significant; leaving him at high risk for further injury and potentially additional surgical procedures. During emergency surgery Tuesday morning, Kolstad had a significant amount of brain tissue removed.

Isaac's lungs also sustained severe injury, resulting in the inability to breath on his own. the document goes on to say Kolstad's brain sustained a lack of oxegen as well.