• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Phillip Nelson leaving Gophers

Scott M

From the Daily Gopher....

Nelson's statement as to why he is transferring.

"I want to thank Coach Kill for the opportunity to play football at the University of Minnesota. I have the uttermost respect for Coach Kill and what he's done for this program. I also want to reach out to to all the great Minnesota fans that supported the football program and say thank you. Your effort makes a difference."

"For me, I am looking to play in a system that centers more around the pass game which utilizes my skill sets. I am excited to go out and meet with programs that match up with my talents."

This was a season that saw the coaching staff go back and forth between Nelson and Leidner throughout the season. Just when it appeared as though Leidner had taken the reigns and put himself as the top of the QB depth chart, Nelson came in to lead the Gophers on their Big Ten 4-game win streak. Nelson certainly struggled early in the Texas Bowl and was quickly pulled in favor of Mitch Leidner. There seemed to be very little clarity to the situation as the season ended and things are just as murky.

More reaction to come, but this is fairly big news for Gopher Football 2014. Quarterback is the biggest question mark heading into 2014 and this does nothing to make things clearer, even with one less name on the depth chart.

Seems odd, the guy got a fair shake and only missed some starts because of injury. Maybe Kill told them they were going to Leidner and to more QB running?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just never "took" the starting spot and made it his own.

It is obvious that the game has yet to slow down for Phil...he always looked uncomfortable on the field and rushed most of his passes and even his runs.

I was hoping he'd stay and let father time take care of his anxiety on the field but I think Liedner has the teams confidence...especially after the bowl game.

He ran the same offense in high school so I don't get what he's referring to when he says he wants to change to a more friendly passing offense that matches his skill set. It's the only offense he's ever been in...since the 9th grade.

Good luck to him...my kids are friends with him as they are MW students now. hope he doesn't end up at NDSU...that, in my opinion, would be a "no-win" situation to step in to.

They may push for 11 wins by not having to jockey between qbs. You what kind of primadonnas they can be.

That's a good one. Even with the Gopher's best QB (Nelson) they only scored 2 offensive TDs against the 4 toughest opponents of the year, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State. If they would do better without him, why did he start so many games this year?

Gopher's will be lucky to win 5-6 games next year.

Big Dave, IF, Nelson were the Gophers "best" QB he wouldnt be leaving. He wouldnt have been taken out of games, sat beginning of games and have another QB start.

He was inconsistent at best. You never knew what you were going to get from him. It was either lights out or lights completely off. There wasnt a happy medium with him at all.

I honestly think this style offense doesnt fit what he envisions his skills to be. He couldnt handle taking hits.

This offense isnt going to go out there and score 40 pts per game. But the way the defense is built they should keep most teams from scoring a ton of points.

You referenced the teams they couldnt get TDs against, but they were still in those games. QB play is what held them back.

This could be a good thing for Leidner and Nelson both. Leidner get more reps and Nelson move on to somewhere that wants to pass more. He does have talent, there is no question, but lacks consistency.

Anybody think another BCS school takes Nelson? If so do you think its anybody that isn't a bottom 1/4 of the BCS team?

I personally don't know that he'd play at NDSU, although I'm not sure what is next after Brock Jensen...

Big Dave, IF, Nelson were the Gophers "best" QB he wouldnt be leaving. He wouldnt have been taken out of games, sat beginning of games and have another QB start.

You are saying the Gophers had a better option at QB but chose to play Nelson anyway? crazy If he wasn't their "best" QB, who was?

Leidner and he will get all the chance to prove it. His stats were far better. 67% completion percentage compared to Nelson's 50%.

So Coach Kill was playing the wrong guy all season, huh? What a terrible coach, I guess he should be fired, right?

With the poor receiving crew, I can't blame Nelson for leaving. He had a few good games and some total duds like Iowa and Syracuse. Kill gave him starts as a true freshman and every opportunity to be the man.

Leidner seems to be a better fit for the offense Kill likes to run. The redshirt sounds like a great athlete, but not sure on his ability to throw the ball.

Hopefully the local running back keeps his commitment. He looked awesome in one of the all star games against really good national recruits.

Nelson gave us all he had, just wasn't consistent enough game in and game out. I wish him the best, but if his quest is to play for Rutgers and to showcase his talents in a pro style offense, wow. I wonder if he thinks he can have a dream job in the NFL. That certainly would only be a dream.