• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

Merk it says your not accepting PMs. My email is [email protected]. My brother in law and his wife are coming out that weekend, so I probably wont have room in my perm but if you guys bring all your own stuff it won't be a problem!

We will bring all our stuff...

i am gonna bring the mule with tracks if there is too much snow up there...

my big question is how much ice you got up there?

-Merk

Hope it finds a spot in your collection. You guys seeing any fish over there? Been a little slow on this end of the weed line today. Took the dog along today, she's been better this time than she has in the past, no swimming today.

Thinking I'm going to pull my perm today in advance of the 6" snowfall they are predicting for tomorrow.

Was out on Peltier this afternoon with the wife and her tip-ups. If you catch the channel 5 news it is my darkhouse about 50 yards from where the Silverado and snowmobile trailer went through. The wife caught a couple of small ones and I got a 5 pounder. Saw ten other little ones. Family event next weekend so this was probably it for the season. Sigh.

My phone ended up on the bottom of the lake today. I was able to bring it back up with my magnet but as you can imagine its not working very well.

Oh well I guess it could have been worse I could have lost a nice decoy or something.

Went out to the shack for a few hours today and it was slow. Mollie and Joe had the day off school so they came with. We were sitting there and all of a sudden they were hollering big fish! big fish! I've been seeing a couple carp lately that are probably in the 35 -40 pound range.

They cruised through on the bottom.

Took vacation this week, hoping to get out every day, I'll be out on big watab hoping for that tirty pounder. I was out today and saw several, a couple nice ones I watched. It was entertaining at any rate. There was about a 4 pounder that camein early, followed by a real tiny one right off the bottom. Later, pretty sure the same two, the big one smoked my fake decoy, swam off, and the little guy shot in right after it again, I think it was hoping for scraps or something, lol! It was pretty dark so no pics unfortunately. Cant wait for tomorrow

Me, Archery Sniper and Merk are headed to Deep Portage tomorrow. Were going to a BOW (Becoming an outdoor woman) event for the weekend. We're teaching a class on Dark house spearing on Saturday and Sunday. We did the same thing last year. You never seen so many people that were excited to saw ice. Where are these people the rest of the year??? eek

Good Luck guys my season ended at the Get To Gator. Got home and found out Sunday morning that my Dad had heart attack. I have been in Duluth at St Mary's since then. We got him back to the cities yesterday just as the rain switched to snow then this afternoon I am taking him to the U of M heart clinic to schedule heart bypass or do it today do not know yet very nerve racking. I will post the venison marinade when I can. Glad my perm is off

Mwal

Good Luck guys my season ended at the Get To Gator. Got home and found out Sunday morning that my Dad had heart attack. I have been in Duluth at St Mary's since then. We got him back to the cities yesterday just as the rain switched to snow then this afternoon I am taking him to the U of M heart clinic to schedule heart bypass or do it today do not know yet very nerve racking. I will post the venison marinade when I can. Glad my perm is off

Mwal

Prayers sent mwal, I hope all goes well with your dad.

I to have had the same type of stuff with my father in the past two years, so I know what your going thrugh.

Got out today and had the best day of the year so far. Probably my 2nd best day ever. I took my 3 biggest fish on the spear, a 16.5, 14.2, and 13.4lb. Also took a 6lb. The guy with me also speared a 6,6,8lb. We saw 16 pike total from 1030-615pm. Only 3 more weeks!

full-26771-42890-14pike.jpg

full-26771-42891-16.5pike.jpg

Well we tried to get out there one more time. Me and Goose went out yesterday and checked a couple local lakes. Vehicle traffic was impassible, so we broke out the snow shoes. We found most areas had 2' or more of snow on top of the ice. When we drilled our test holes the water boiled out and areas got real slushy. Putting the camera down revealed very dark conditions. With all the snow and slush light just wasn't getting through.

At another lake we watched a truck attempting to plow the road to his buddies shack. He had been stuck there for 3days. The drifts were over the hood of the pickup. And the bows from my previous trips were no longer showing. They were close to the house mentioned above.

So all things considered we decided to call it today. frown another season closed...

I pulled my permanent house Wednesday after work in anticipation of the most recent snowfall. I didn't bother with pulling a portable out there this weekend considering the conditions, so another season is in the books. At age 40 or even 45, I certainly would have been out there, but at about 2 weeks shy of 50, I thought "been there, done that" and stayed off, probably for the best anyways. I had a bit more than a faint itch this morning, but Instead I went through some of the gear, put some things away, retooled for border lakes walleye/lakers, and started in on some deer, grouse and snowshoe hare canning.

I will run the statistics for the season from my journal tomorrow. I typically track the number of lakes speared, new lakes, number of sits, total hours and average number of pike seen per hour, among other details….Anyone else keeping any records?

I would say that the general tenor of the season was that it was a lot more work than usual, with all the times getting stuck, moving literally tons of ice, and more slow days that usual, mixed in with some really action packed sits.

Got out today and had the best day of the year so far. Probably my 2nd best day ever. I took my 3 biggest fish on the spear, a 16.5, 14.2, and 13.4lb. Also took a 6lb. The guy with me also speared a 6,6,8lb. We saw 16 pike total from 1030-615pm. Only 3 more weeks!

full-26771-42890-14pike.jpg

full-26771-42891-16.5pike.jpg

Awesome day is right and congrats

What is the close date on NoDak water for spearing pike? I was hoping to get out the over spring break and stick a fewt if its close I will settle for rattlin up a few pigs.

Was able to go out this morning, the slush was tough, lots of water under that snow in the metro.

Saw 4, had a friend with and he was able to get his first pike. He is hooked on the sport now.

My nephew was in another house, he really wants to get one but needs to learn to put the Iphone down.

Perfect way to end the season!