• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

I look at it a lot like deer hunting. Sometimes the fish are there and willing to play, others they lay low.

I have only had one day all year that nothing has come through and I have learned something and had fun each time out, so that's not all bad.

Had to replace Starter in truck. Got up early to head to the shack and click click click. Then had to find someone to hit starter with hammer while I turned key to get it going. Tomorrow I will see if any want to play.

Mwal

I took my dad spearing he said" I don't know about this. It's like sitting in a deer stand and all I can do is look straight down." He lives for deer hunting so I figured how couldn't he love this.I couldn't stop laughing but in a way he is right

I am hoping to get out this weekend. I had to stay at home this weekend and work on my auger because I couldn't keep it running. Seems to be running good now. Just need Friday to come so I can punch a hole and get back to spearing.

I went through my journal today and so far for the 2013/2014 season I have tallied 5 different lakes speared, including two new lakes. So far I have seen .75 pike per hour average. My average sit is just over 2 hours. Overall I have had more slow sits this season than other years, including several times out not seeing any pike, to a high of seeing 6 in three hours one day, and seeing 4 in two hours on two different days.

I have plans to add at least two more new lakes from my list to try this season, and plan to follow up on at least two oldies, but goodies….God willing! I must be getting a little older now, as the weather conditions, and other demands on my time have somewhat limited my movement to new spots and lakes. I used to think nothing of moving to multiple spots on the same lake in a day, or even packing up and moving everything to another lake in a single morning. I did however cut four holes in one day spearing up on the Whitefish chain a week or so ago, which included the last hole of the day cut in the dark in preparation for the next mornings spearing.

Other sightings in the dark house this year include 4 walleye, 2 whitefish, 6 large bass (those sightings are definitely down for me this year, as I have seen up to six or even more in a single day in the past), three bowfin, one sucker, only a few bullhead, and the usual sunfish and perch.

I've already pulled my house for the year. Only made it out 7 times, speared fish on 2 of those trips, saw pike on 3 of the sits. My "home" waters are too dirty this year, and I just don't have the interest in putting my spearhouse on other nearby waters (that are open to spearing.) There is lots and lots of ice out there to deal with, and many people.

Well I was planning on a trip up to the Pequot lakes area to check out the cabin but my friend that was going to go with just called and had to back out due to the snow that could be coming so I am going to hit Borden one way or another, I might even take up a perm to set out there until the GTG... grin

I noticed that the past few times driving cross country off of the packed trails is getting a little tough in places (West Metro).

At one point my wheels dug down through some hard pack snow to the ice rendering my truck unmovable until I got out and shoveled around the wheels enough to back up in 4-low and then charge ahead through the bad drifting.

Jameson it could end up being a blessing in disguise you got you house pulled before the next few rounds of snow and cold that are surely coming this winter. I have the feeling that lake travel and pulling houses could be a real pain late season.

What are others seeing for lake travel lately?

One thing to consider would be to keep each other in mind and help out; for example getting someone out spearing in these conditions, or pulling houses off.