• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

I was getting worried that everyone gave up spearing with the lack of posts.  Got a 3 and 6 1/2 pounder last week and the wife got a 5 pounder on a tip-up.  Will be bringing the power auger from now on.  Might have to purchase some of those screw things since the wife took a short spin in the house due to the wind and no snow.  She was not amused.  Can the screws be turned in by hand?

12 hours ago, tca12 said:

I was getting worried that everyone gave up spearing with the lack of posts.  Got a 3 and 6 1/2 pounder last week and the wife got a 5 pounder on a tip-up.  Will be bringing the power auger from now on.  Might have to purchase some of those screw things since the wife took a short spin in the house due to the wind and no snow.  She was not amused.  Can the screws be turned in by hand?

Yes they can.

Made it out a few times since Christmas been very very slow for me seen 4-5 fish all very small and a lot of time between seeing fish.  Actually have my canvas house ready to sit on a lake but the rain took all the snow off so wont be putting it out till I have some snow to bank it down its pretty slick out there.

Had a fair weekend up at Gull Lake in the cold.  Brought out family, friends, spears, and tip-ups.  Three pike speared, two were "first fish speared".  Niece's husband got his first while sitting with his wife, and their son (age 6) got his first while sitting in a house with Grandpa--how cool is that?  Grandpa actually got the first fish just to show how it was done  Only one pike on a tip-up.  The rest of us were skunked but saw walleyes, sunfish, crappie, tullibee, and a couple of fast small pike.  The two newbies are hooked and we look forward to another gathering on the ice.

10 hours ago, tca12 said:

Had a fair weekend up at Gull Lake in the cold.  Brought out family, friends, spears, and tip-ups.  Three pike speared, two were "first fish speared".  Niece's husband got his first while sitting with his wife, and their son (age 6) got his first while sitting in a house with Grandpa--how cool is that?  Grandpa actually got the first fish just to show how it was done  Only one pike on a tip-up.  The rest of us were skunked but saw walleyes, sunfish, crappie, tullibee, and a couple of fast small pike.  The two newbies are hooked and we look forward to another gathering on the ice.

Sounds like a good time! 

Congrats on getting some new people into the sport.

12 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I finally got out spearing today for the first time in ( holy dump) 32 years. 

Didn't see a single fish but I was out there darn it. Caught some perch after dark. 

Sounds like its been slow all over. Should pick up in a couple weeks hopefully.